The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 2, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1
T.A.Sharps

Rem 870 Opens With Recoil

I am shooting a rifled barrel Rem 870, so when I shoot at the range I do with it supported on my hand with a sling around my arm, and rested on top of a rolled up coat, to get the most steady shot possible while testing ammo.

Last time I shot it there was one instance that the action recoiled back open a little bit after a shot.

I'm not sure why, I think it might be after the recoil the shotgun comes back forward with enough force to jolt the pump back in my hand, or on the rest.

This doesn't happen when I am gripping the pump, as you would from offhand position standing up.

I think it may be my grip, because I have also had this happen with a Marlin 1895 lever action when I shoot it from a rested position. In the recoil the lever seems to pop down enough to open the action a bit.
Old December 2, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Doyle

Fairly common. Don't worry about it.
Old December 2, 2009, 01:18 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Yep. It is natural as you are not holding the forestock. My mossberg fully opens and ejects the shell if I rest it and ifer it.
Brent
Old December 2, 2009, 02:16 PM   #4
RoscoeC

From Remington's Support Website, FAQs:

The action on my Model 870 opens when I fire it. Is this normal?

It is the design of the Model 870 for the action bar lock to disengage once the shell has been fired. This enables you to load and fire the second shot with more speed.

If you have any concerns regarding the safe operation of your firearm, you can take it to your closest Remington Authorized Repair Center for evaluation.

Short answer: It's made that way.
NRA Life Member
Old December 3, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5
nutty ned

The 887 does the same, called big green and they said what the post above said.