The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 12, 2006, 11:52 PM   #1
dstevens

JcHiggins Model

I've been moving around a JC Higgins Model 36 .22 LR Rifle for the past 30 years from one house to another. It's been in the family and past on to me. I intend on doing the same to my son. Does anyone have any information on this rifle so I can pass on the history. I can see it was made for Sears and the other numbers on the rifle after the Sears name is 583.1. The rifle is in perfect condition and I try to keep in safe dry places. Thanks in advance for any information
Old March 13, 2006, 12:52 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

The J.C. Higgins Model 36 was actually made by Mossberg as the Model 80.

The Sears Model 583.1 is listed as an unknown High Standard firearm, type not listed.

"Back in the day" big catalog and chain stores like Sears, Western Auto, Wards, Gamble's and many other companies had big gun companies make "store brand" firearms for them.

These were usually standard guns with slight cosmetic differences and marked with the store's brand names.

Companies like Sears had several names they sold guns under, including Sears, J.C. Higgins, Ted Williams, and Ranger.
Old March 13, 2006, 01:20 AM   #3
dstevens

Thanks

Thanks, I just found this forum by accident and thought I would give it a post. What year might it have been manufactured? I'll have to break out the other guns. I also have a Winchester model 32-40 that has been passed down and it's also in fantastic condition. I do this another evening. Thanks again and I'll be back.