The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 23, 2000, 09:30 AM   #1
JNewell

Anyone out there with comparative experience with the Kick-eez pads and the Decelerator pads? I want to replace the factory pad on an 870.

Also, since this is an HD shotgun, and mounting speed might matter, I'm thinking about the "sporting clays" version that has less sticky surface (there's a non-sticky insert on part of the pad) -- anyone tried these? Seems like it would be an advantage in getting the SG mounted faster and more correctly...

Thanks for any feedback/experience/opinions...
Old June 23, 2000, 12:05 PM   #2
Jeff, CA

I've got both on different guns. They seem to be made from similar material. It made a real difference on my 12 gauge pump.

I think you're right about getting the right shape. In my (limited) experience, the usual shape, with the pointed toe and sharp edges, seems slower, and the pointed toe is definitely less comfortable.

The "simulated leather" surface on the kick-eez is slicker than the Decelerator, so you may not need the one with the insert. Just get one with the heel, toe and edges generously rounded.

Do you plan on fitting the pad yourself? The kick-eez responds better to sanding than the Decelerator does; I found the Declerator almost impossible to sand - the stuff is so resilient even coarse sandpaper can't get a bite.

Old June 23, 2000, 12:57 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I've some experience with the Pachmyer, and like it considerably. None of mine at present have one because, I'm a tightwad and they came with pads. The deer and HD 870s weigh enough that the kick isn't a problem, and the bird 870 doesn't get a heavier load than 1 1/2 oz except for turkey loads.

If the Kick-wahtever is of similiar quality to the delerator, it's a good'un. And, the slicker pads can aid a fast mount nicely.

One small thing, for women and big chested men, a bit of sanding down the toe of the pad SLIGHTLY can help comfort...
Old June 23, 2000, 01:11 PM   #4
MikeS

John,

A belated thank you for info on the Harrts'
address.

There is a thread on another forum that may
be relevant to your question: Check www.
shotgunsports.com/talkgrou.htm. Click on
Shotgun Talk. Scroll down to 6-20 "Recoil
Pads". Hope this is of help.

Mike

Old June 25, 2000, 02:58 PM   #5
JNewell

Jeff -- yes, I'll fit it myself. Thanks for the information. I actually haven't had any problems with the Decelerator pads -- I've installed several of them. What I use is a cheap-ish small Dremel belt/disk combo bench sander that I bought years ago. As long as I've got good light, what I do is to put masking tape on the wood, and I can maintain enough control of the buttstock to sand right up to/into the masking tape. It leaves a whisker ridge, not as good as actually sanding to the wood -- but alot faster if I don't need to refinish the stock. I'm actually somewhat amazed that you can fit these rubber pads with hand sanding -- must be a long process!
Old June 25, 2000, 03:33 PM   #6
johnbt

Yep. Did a Decel. by hand on an 870 Exp. Mag. Made a big difference over the hollow POJunk hard pad that came on it. Duck season was over, it was cold out and my last sander quit on me. Never again. Now I have three sanders. John