The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 30, 2013, 06:52 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

Anyone use the plastic (vinyl?) "cartridge tubes" for their revolvers?

I shot NSSA a long time ago and when I first started, used the old cardboard tubes to make premeasured loads for the .58 Rifled Musket - charge poured in and a minie ball inserted in the top. Eventually plastic tubes became available.

I know some on here shoot revolver competition in NSSA and was wondering how well the tubes for the .36 and .44s worked for you? I see that The Winchester Sutler has them (I used to get my musket tubes from him). I believe they are soft (like a vinyl?) with one closed end. I'm thinking about ordering a 100 for my .36 but wondered how well they worked with a round ball in regards to getting it out at the time of loading. I would imagine that you would just "squeeze" it out. If they are like the musket tubes I used, they would last a long time, be easy to clean and could easily be loaded up in advance to range time.

I don't know if those shooting C & B in CAS use them as well? I'm thinking it would be handy to have loads all premeasured with a ball in the end and save the hassle of measuring each load out at the range when reloading. I'm not looking to "speed load" but more of a "convenience factor".

Anyone use them and if so, do they work pretty well with a round ball?

Thanks.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old April 30, 2013, 08:57 PM   #2
kwhi43

I use these just for the powder. I use this for the revolver and all of our
Single shot pistols.

Old April 30, 2013, 10:18 PM   #3
mykeal

I've used them for round balls in long guns and single shot pistols, but not for revolvers (yet) - not that the gun matters. They work just as you surmised - just squeeze the tube below the ball and it comes right out, then pour the powder out. All the powder comes out; there's no clumping or other ill effects.
Old April 30, 2013, 11:36 PM   #4
brazosdave

that's actually pretty cool! I'm way too disorganized and it ain't my style, but I can see where a more serious competitive shooter would want something like that. I'm cool with a flask, measure, or horn and measure, and chasin rollin round balls around the table, lol! And that's if I'm so lucky as to have a table handy, lol!
Old May 1, 2013, 08:22 AM   #5
maillemaker

Yes, I use the little yellow vinyl tubes for my .44 balls, and they work great. I bought a little rifle cartridge case that holds 50 rifle cartridges and my vinyl tubes fit in it nicely.

You pinch the tube and out comes the ball, then dump in the powder. Very convenient.

Steve
Old May 2, 2013, 11:50 AM   #6
CZVZ

Where dose one purchase those tube pictured above?
Old May 2, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
kwhi43

I got those from Amazon. They cost 10.00 a hundred. They hold about 30 grs
Old May 2, 2013, 01:42 PM   #8
Rebel Dave

Bedbug

Yes I use those soft vinyl Tubes mine are black. You just sqeeze the ball or conical out into the cylinder, no muss no fuss. They work good and are durable, and washing machine safe.
You can get them at S&S firearms, or Lodgewood Mfg.

Rebel Dave