The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 11:08 PM   #1
AdamSean

Range Report: Glock 36

Well today was the day to take my new carry gun out for a break in. It was a rainy day, but I went out anyway. It ran perfectly. I ran 150 rounds of FMJ through it. The rain started to get in the mags and I had 1 failure to feed do to a round getting stuck in the mag. After the trip I disassembled and cleaned out the mags to prevent this in the future. I did get 2 stovepipes from limp wristing due to a poor grip. I am actually glad for the issue, because I was teaching shooting skills to my sister and her boyfriend. A quick clear and it went on truckin'.

As for shootability, its a Glock. Consistent trigger and dead on. I fired a full magazine in less than 2 seconds and every round ended up in a 4 inch grouping a little to the left of center. I polished the trigger connecter and sear so the trigger was nice and smooth. Even my sister was able to make head shots with the hefty .45 in a light package. I took the opportunity to try out my new GoPro Hero3 and made a couple videos.

A nice first person shooter action of me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU0rSzfhfTQ

My sister shooting. She didn't really like the .45, but did well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A62w8CrRz3c

I am very pleased with the G36. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a hard hitting self defense firearm.
Old February 11, 2013, 02:59 PM   #2
Tactical Jackalope

That's awesome, I saw the GoPro Hero on the Pikes Peak race cars. Things are amazing. I'm really close with my sister too.

That Glock 36 looks good for you both. However, I'm more in favor of my Glock 30sf.

Over that it's my SIG P220.

YMMV
Old February 11, 2013, 04:06 PM   #3
tjhands

The G36 has by far the most reported stoppages of all the Glocks. I hope yours ends up working better for you, especially with defensive ammo. It's possible that the FMJ ammo you used wasn't powerful enough to overcome the power of the recoil spring, resulting in the stovepipes.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:18 PM   #4
SR420

Quote:
I did get 2 stovepipes from limp wristing due to a poor grip.
I am actually glad for the issue, because I was teaching shooting skills to my sister and her boyfriend.
A quick clear and it went on truckin'.
That's the only G36 issue that I've read about and it's always traced back to a poor grip.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:38 PM   #5
9mm

Shooting it like its a 22lr.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:53 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Shooting it like its a 22lr.
lol you said that about me and my old Glock 19 gen 4!

My Shooting my old Glock 19 gen 4

I think it was you.....lol
Old February 11, 2013, 05:47 PM   #7
AdamSean

I have been shooting 9mm's for a while and haven't fired a .45 in a couple of years. I'm sure with a little more practice I will be fine and won't have to worry about those stovepipes.
Old February 12, 2013, 08:48 AM   #8
Tactical Jackalope

Yeah. I did the opposite. Went from .40 (blah) to .45 to 9mm and I've been back to .45.

I stick mainly with .45 and 9mm now. Sold all my .40 guns except 2.

Sent from my phone...expect typos.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:44 PM   #9
thinktwice

I have a 36 I ordered from my local gun shop about 3 years ago with night sights and it has been as reliable as any of my other Glocks. I think the poster stating the 36 has more problems than any of the other Glocks is talking years ago in which they did have quite a few problems, but I think that was shortly after they came out with it. They worked out all the bugs of the 36 a long time ago. It was and still is Glocks only slim 45 ( if you really want to call it slim by today's standards.) They have come out now with the Glock 30-S which is a G-30 with a G-36 slide, but still not as thin overall as the 36 due to the 30 frame.
Old February 13, 2013, 12:18 AM   #10
AdamSean

Constantine, I did the same thing. I recently sold a Glock 27 and have been staying with 9mm and .45 ACP. I have thought about doing some competition and becoming a certified pistol instructor and I think I will use the 9mm for those and reserve the .45 ACP for concealed carry defense.
Old February 13, 2013, 09:58 AM   #11
Tactical Jackalope

Nice, well AdamSean..You sound an awful lot like me.

9mm + .45ACP =