The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2011, 08:34 PM   #1
Sigbill

Where do You get Your Best-Deals on Sabots ?

Hello All,
I recently Purchased a Mossberg 500 12ga., Used. It came w/28" accu-choke bbl., and my Seller threw-in a 24" Rifled Cantilever bbl. w/scope in the Deal... While I'm Not New to Shotguns, this is My First Rifled bbl., and I'd like to get Your Opinions on the Best-Price(deals), and Accurate Sabot Slugs for this Setup... From what I've read, 2 possibilities are Hornady SST, and Federal ?...
Thanks in advance for Your Thoughts !!!
Old January 16, 2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Deerhunter

I really like the SSTs. I found they shoot the best out of my gun. I like to try and find them at the end of the season. I have a Bass Pro Shops near me. They can/do order in large volume so that helps with cost. Plus at the end of the season you can usually find them on sale. Dick's Sporting Goods is another good place to find them after the season. They tend not to keep a lot of them laying around through the off season. Disclaimer.......this is just what I have seen and where I have purchased mine.
Old January 17, 2011, 04:36 AM   #3
911JB

SST's are all I run. While they are a bit pricey they are worth every penny. Like deerhunter said, I also look for them after hunting season every year to save a few bucks.
Last season [2010] I tagged a decent buck at 125 yards using sst's through my scoped 20g mossberg 500.

edited to add ... I get mine at Farm and Fleet. Cost is around 13-15 bucks a box of 5.

Last edited by 911JB; January 17, 2011 at 08:56 AM.
Old January 17, 2011, 08:29 AM   #4
pabuckslayer08

15 dollar for 5 federals is all I run, very accurate
Old January 17, 2011, 11:16 AM   #5
Deerhunter

I have been able to find the SSTs in 12 gauge, $12 for a box of 5, when I find them on sale. I have paid $15 for a box.

Last edited by Deerhunter; January 17, 2011 at 11:40 AM.
Old January 17, 2011, 11:21 AM   #6
pabuckslayer08

Yea, the SSTs run 11.99 just about everywhere around my area with the federals being 15.99 and Remingtons being 18.99. I havnt found any as accurate as the Federal though
Old January 18, 2011, 02:02 PM   #7
globemaster3

Buckslayer, I shoot the same setup, have one in 20 gauge as well, and have owned them for ~5 years now. Here's a few things I learned along the way.

Just like rifles, each will have likes and dislikes. My 12 gauge likes the 2 3/4 Winchester Platinum 400 gr sabots. My daughter's 20 likes Lightfield EXPs. I've shot various slugs through both (2 kinds of Remington, Winchester, Lightfield).

Sabots are expensive. I have yet to find significant deals anywhere online or at the local BPS or Cabelas. I've chalked that up to the cost of playing.

If you remove the slug barrel and put on your 28" vent rib, and then go back, plan to sight in again. I've never had the POI stay the same. Adjustments are normally small (couple inches), but be aware.

Lastly, depending on the scope, be cautious. The scopes mounted at the factory are normally on the low-end of the quality spectrum. My daughter's factory-mounted Bushnell broke a couple weeks ago (and was the source of a thread on here). It was very gently cared for. I'm not saying because it happened to me it WILL happen to you, but there's 1 data point for reference. Just be aware.
Old January 18, 2011, 04:33 PM   #8
pabuckslayer08

Thanks, I have 2 of them actually and am upgrading this seaosn. The one shoots 1 inch groups at 100 and the other is about 2 inch groups so I cant complain but I dont like the cantilevers they worry me. So this season Im either getting a 2011 Browning A Bolt or a T/C pro hunter 20gauge. Im leaning for the T/C I love them
Old January 18, 2011, 04:52 PM   #9
Joey V.

Funny you should ask....

I just went through an expensive exercise with my Mossberg 500. My barrel is not the cantilever one like yours but I think they all have the same slower twist rate but not sure. My twist is I think 1-36? but anyway it shoots most sabots ok but because of the twist mine likes heavy slugs better. What I found to be the most accurate slug I ever fired is the Lyman 12g slug 525 grain that you cast yourself and load into a shotgun wad. I can load those for about 20 cents a piece since I have about 2 ton of lead from old pipe in my scrap heap. If you are not a reloader I suggest for that barrel the lightfield sabot slugs. They have a wad that flys with the bullet until it hits the target. They are very accurate and very deadly. Not if you want to go the light pistol bullet route that’s fine but not for me. I hit a few deer with the light bullets at around the 100yrd range right in the boiler room and they ALL ran at least 100yrds. I think for slow projectiles like shotguns you have to go with what the old time muzzloader guys knew. Heavy conical type bullets drop deer on the spot and that is what the Lyman and the Lightfieds are!

I get one ragged hole out of the lightfields and lyman slugs at 50 yrds and less than 2 inchs at 100yds. If you need a further shot go get a rifle
Good luck
Old January 19, 2011, 10:55 AM   #10
Joey V.

Correction on shot group!!!!

I shoot yesterday and get 1 ragged hole at 100 yrds now with the lyman slugs and bluedot powder!!! I used the Lyman load data and 45 grains of blue dot. Bullet shoots dead on at 50 and will hit 1 inch high at 100 yrds.

DISCLAIMER I am not recommending ANY loads just saying what I did. Got to watch out for the lawyers!!!!