The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 9, 2011, 08:51 PM   #1
Drachenstein

P1 from AIM

I recently bought a P1 from Aim, on initial inspection it looked perfect, all numbers matched, I then looked in the barrel to find it filled with bright red rust water spots. I immediately cleaned it but found it to have started pitting/frosting especially on the last inch or so. You could see where the rust spots were. I called Aim and they sent out a replacement and a packing slip for the old one. The second one arrived and the second I cleared the weapon I saw rust. The locking block was rusted and very pitted, it was not original and the number on it had been electro-penciled in. The trigger was very loose - weak springs and the overall fit was excessively loose. Felt like a parts gun, but the bore was good. As loose as it was, I doubt a good shooter. I called Aim immediately and told them the second pistol was not acceptable.

Should I send them both back or am I just being nit picky on the first one. My concern is I know pitting will cause scoring but it takes allot of rounds to do that - more than I will ever fire. My other concern is if I should ever decide to sell it, those spots may affect its salability. It is a surplus weapon and mail order is always a gamble. Any opinions?

In all fairness to Aim I've ordered weapons from them before and this is the first time I've ever had an issue,,,,, nothing like SOG. I also should point out I didn't opt for hand select - it's never been needed with them.
Old January 10, 2011, 08:36 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Get a good replacement.

These are former military guns that may have sat in storage for many years.
Aim doesn't have time to disassemble and inspect every gun so sometimes a few problem guns may be in the batch.
You were just unlucky to get two dogs.

Aim has a very good reputation for fixing problems. Let them send you another gun until you get a good one.
Old January 10, 2011, 09:56 PM   #3
Clark500

The one I got looks OK. The frame and barrel #s match, but the slide does not. My locking block is fine shape, but it too has had the # etched on it. Were they originally stamped, or were they penciled afterward just to keep the correct parts together?

The exterior showed a little finish wear on the sharp edges, but otherwise it looked pretty good. The grips were a little disappointing. They were not chipped or cracked, but they were obviously well worn.

As far as the barrel... It was very dirty but cleaned up nicely. It is now shiny and has nice rifling.

Overall, it is not as nice as I had hoped, but I guess I can't complain too much.

The ad on AIM's website is a little vague. Nowhere does it give a precise condition, preferring to instead refer to them as "beautiful". I'm not sure I have a firm grasp of the "beautiful" rating system yet. The box that it arrived in stated that the condition was "excellent". I am unsure if this rating was assigned by AIM or the importer. Either way, I would say it was in very good condition - not excellent. The ad also doesn't say anything about matching #s. I had hoped they would match, but I had resigned myself to the idea that they probably wouldn't.
Old January 12, 2011, 11:25 AM   #4
salvadore

Got this in December from RTI LTD. All matching numbers shiny barrel for 299, but think the price for the excellent grade is up $50. Too cold too shoot but am all twitterpated to do so.
Old January 13, 2011, 03:32 PM   #5
hagar

Glad I got one when they were selling for $225 back in 2005, got a mint one from Aim. I would send both back.