The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 7, 2010, 07:25 PM   #1
NWPilgrim

Just got a Weaver 1-3x20 for my AR15

I finally broke down and bought a low paower scope for one of my AR15s. I've always enjoyed shooting with iron sights as on the M1, M1A aand AR15. But as my eyes age I can no longer see the front sight sharply. I can still hit clay pigeons on the hillside 100 yds away, but my eyes have to work at it, especially in low light. So I thought it was time to get an optic.

The serious AR15 shooters seem to like the EOTech and Aimpoint. But at $500 those are not on my priority list for spending. I don't do all day carbine training classes, nor am I young guy who may end up using something like that overseas. Besides, I wanted a little magnification for the range to 200-300 yds.

My hunting scopes are nothing spectacular but served well through decades of rain and brush. I was looking for something like a fixed 2x or 1-4x with a small objective like 20mm or 24mm. Something short and slim to give my eyes an assist, not expensive but serviceable.

I almost went for a Leupold VX-II 1-4x20 at about $300. Then I found lots of favorable reviews of the Weaver 1-3x20mm which is about $150. Even if the Weaver works out I may get the Leupold for another AR just to see how they compare.

The Weaver is this one: http://swfa.com/Weaver-1-3x20-Classi...ope-P2864.aspx

Some things about it:
- Made in JAPAN, not China
- Seems very clear and bright to me
- Can easily shoot both eyes open up to 1.5x
- Duplex rectical is very nice
- Instruction sheet is minimal, little product info
- Eye relief is plenty for an AR, in fact you need to mount it as far forward on the receiver rail as you can
- Seems well made and as robust as my other hunting scopes; time will tell

I mounted it with a Wilson Combat mount ($75) with built in 1" rings (from Midway based on another reviewer's recommendation):

I mounted it as far forward as I could on the top rail which leaves plenty of room for my Troy folding BUIS. The Wilson mount is very ROBUST as it is one solid piece. I like that while it does not have quick detach levers, it has two large knurled bolt heads with large dished slots that a quarter can fit in a pinch.

Anyway it seems about as compact as possible and the mount and scope total is $225. So far it seems like a terrific value. If the guts shake loose it will be a lesson learned, but I am hoping this Japanese scope while likely not up to combat deployment or constant field training, will at least be serviceable at the range, casual varminting, or an occasional self defense situation.

Anyone else have feed back on the Weaver 1-3x?
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 8, 2010, 12:51 AM   #2
sholling

Weaver V-Series scopes are great values. If I were limited to $150 for an AR scope the V3 would be my choice.
Old February 14, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
Risasi

I wouldn't snicker at the Weaver 1-3x's. These are pretty popular as a budget optic with the 3-gun crowd. They are pretty rough on their equipment. Their typical engagement ranges are 5-300+ yards.