The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2016, 12:32 PM   #26
Chaz88

I have a fairly new Savage 220 rifled bolt action. It is a great deer gun for shotgun only places.

In case you were wandering they also made lever action shot guns. I have a Winchester in 10g, it killed a lot of geese back before steel shot.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old October 23, 2016, 05:08 PM   #27
darkgael

Nope

Quote:
QUOTE: "...with a little practice, I can cycle the second shot about as quick as a pump gun."

You need to practice more with the pump
Oh, ye of little faith. Properly used a bolt gun can be cycled very rapidly. You have probably seen videos of the "Mad minute" of Enfield fame. High power match rifle shooters joke about not using semiautos because they don't want to wait for the action to cycle.

Last edited by darkgael; October 23, 2016 at 06:23 PM.
Old October 23, 2016, 06:17 PM   #28
Virginian

Whenever someone starts waxing nostalgic about a bolt action shotgun (not the new slug guns) I just put it down to a combination of wishful thinking and/or bad memory. The early bolt actions were a way to produce a cheap repeater. I never saw one that handled worth a hoot as a wingshooter's gun. For rabbits and/or squirrels they do okay. I feel the same about single shots (not dedicated purpose built trap guns). They were made to satisfy a need cheaply.
I had a bolt action for my first shotgun. I'm a fairly quick study and it didn't stay long.

Last edited by Virginian; October 24, 2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old October 23, 2016, 09:32 PM   #29
Omaha-BeenGlockin

You can still buy one:

http://www.browning.com/products/fir...ns/a-bolt.html

Not cheap anymore though
-------Metallica
Old October 24, 2016, 01:45 AM   #30
bamaranger

bolts

We went through two bolt shotguns when I was a kid, both .410's. My Dad bought a Mossberg bolt with an adjustable choke, the dang thing shot off the first season we hunted it. He replaced the Mossberg with a Savage bolt, that was about the cheapest shotgun I have ever seen. Sharp edges everywhere, detachable mag that was not worth a hoot, a bolt that moved like a crowbar through rocks and a trigger that must have pulled 15 lbs. About two seasons for it, and the sheet metal extractor broke off the bolt face.

Many of my hunting pals as a kid had bolt shotguns.
Old October 24, 2016, 03:05 AM   #31
Lucas McCain

I have a J.C. Higgins 12 ga. 5 shot tube mag, full choke. 30 inch barrel. In about 1956 ( I was 11 At the time) I bought it used at an auction sale for $30dollars. I used that gun for 7 years, only problem was the forearm cracked, but a hose clamp fixed that. That was money earned form trapping pocket gophers for 2 bits apiece. Couple things you have to remember, a lot of hunters back then went through the depression of 1930, and the 50's weren't so damn great either. We hunted for meat. We didn't waste the limited ammo you had on shooting at flying ducks. The hardware store, we didn't have a gun shop, would sell us shells at 10 cents apiece. We would buy 5 and go hunting for the weekend. I would get over a dozen ducks for the weekend sometimes. The limit then was 8 a day. We sneak up on a slough with ducks and wait till you got 3-4 lined up and ground swat them. When I turned 18, was done with school and got a job and had some money, I up graded to a used L.C.Smith for $50 and could afford a box Gambels Hiawatha shells for $2. I then started shooting the ducks out of the air. It definitely was a lot more fun and gratifying than ground swatting them.
Just a note on the L.C. Smith. When I bought that double barrel a Stevens model 311 cost $70. The reason the L.C. Was so cheap is because the company was gone, no parts were readily available, if something was wrong you would more than likely have to have the part handmade. Therefore a L.C. Smith was the cheapest gun in the rack. Very few people wanted one. I wish I would have known then what I know now. That old gun has never failed me once. When steel shot became necessary, I retired it for ducks, I still use if I go after pheasants.
Times were different back in the old days, and they weren't all that good always. I wouldn't trade them for anything either. We were all in the same boat, and just did the best we could.
Old October 24, 2016, 06:56 AM   #32
CajunBass

When I was a kid, in the 50's and 60's, bolt shotguns were pretty popular. A lot of "po'folk" had them. They were a step up from a break barrel single shot. Most of them came from Sears-Roebuck or Western Auto.

They might not have been very good for wing-shooting, but those people simply "pot hunted." If it ran, walked, or flew and would fit into, or be cut up, it went into the pot.

When I got my mother to order a new shotgun when I was about 16 years old, I was torn between a Sears Bolt Action and a Sears Double. I went with the double.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 24, 2016, 03:54 PM   #33
dgludwig

QUOTE: "...with a little practice, I can cycle the second shot about as quick as a pump gun."

QUOTE: "You need to practice more with the pump..."

QUOTE: "Nope... Oh, ye of little faith. Properly used a bolt gun can be cycled very rapidly..."

I don't need to walk on water to know that there's no way on God's green earth that any bolt-action comes close to rivaling a pump when it comes to rapidity of subsequent shots. Pump guns come close to autos in trained hands in terms of speed.

You might be faster with one bolt-action than someone else using another bolt-action but you will never approach the speed of a pump with a bolt-action.
Old October 24, 2016, 08:31 PM   #34
darkgael

Cycle

Dgl: you are, if course, correct about the speed with wch a pump shotgun can be cycled:
Love those Pat Flanigan videos:
https://youtu.be/BYfqu-llMbU
A bolt gun can be cycled pretty fast - not Flanigan fast but still fast:
https://youtu.be/BRZZcNCTFyQ
Note the time to operate the bolt for one shot ---forget the aiming, just the bolt cycle.
Old October 25, 2016, 07:34 AM   #35
Virginian

I don't think you can compare the bolt cycling speed of a good bolt action rifle with any bolt action shotgun I have ever seen. Also in the above video they are shooting prone, not offhand.
Old October 25, 2016, 09:43 AM   #36
tangolima

The shotgun in the video was Winchester with speedpump. It could be even faster if a bump fire shotgun was used.

In the mad minute match, shooters held the bolt knobs with thumb and index finger, and pulled the trigger with middle finger. This technique required a smooth cycling action with correct position of the bolt knob relative to the trigger, such as Lee Enfield cock-on-close. A normal bolt shotgun probably won't work. And you don't want to hold a gun like that when you hunt anyway.

Bolt action is much stronger than pump, and it is an over kill for shot shells. It sacrifice a needed feature, speed, for unneeded performance, strength.

-TL
Old October 25, 2016, 01:18 PM   #37
Virginian

Bolt action shotguns were not stronger than a pump. Every pump I have seen has the bolt lock into the barrel or forward portion of the receiver in some fashion. The bolt shotguns relied on a squared off handle boss that was welded to the bolt to keep the action closed, and the action/ barrel was even two piece.
Bolt action high power rifles for the most part are very different animals.
Old October 25, 2016, 01:32 PM   #38
darkgael

Bolt

Quote:
I don't think you can compare the bolt cycling speed of a good bolt action rifle with any bolt action shotgun I have ever seen. Also in the above video they are shooting prone, not offhand.
Understand that I agree that the pump is a faster action. About the shooting prone vs a field position....for extended shooting, one cannot disagree. For one shot, though, a quick manipulation is quite doable. The shooter manipulates the bolt in a manner very much like a straight pull bolt: the first shot is fired, the hand shifts back (maybe) and the top edge of the hand slides under the bolt knobat the same time the shooter rotates the edge of the hand up and back. It is not necessary to grasp the bolt.The fired shell ejects and the hand rotates forward catching the bolt with the thumb, driving it forward and chambering the next shell....a flick up and back.

Last edited by darkgael; October 25, 2016 at 01:39 PM.
Old October 25, 2016, 06:57 PM   #39
Hawg

Be leery of firing a bolt action 12 gauge sold by Sears. Many of them were made by J.C. Higgins and were recalled. The bolt doesn't have locking lugs, the only thing retaining the bolt is the thin metal of the receiver. Some of them have cracked and even sheared off.
Old October 25, 2016, 09:42 PM   #40
O4L

My dad bought me my first new shotgun in 1975. It was a Mossberg 20 gauge bolt action.

He got it for me to go on my first pheasant hunt.

I'm left eye dominant so I always shot long guns left handed. With a little practice I got to where I could shoot double clays with it quite well, and had no problem getting my share of birds in the field at 14 years old.
Old October 26, 2016, 04:24 AM   #41
Gunplummer

So what? "The thin metal of the receiver" is just as thick as the barrel. I would venture to say the tubing used is tougher than a shotgun barrel. The only thing I ever had against them was most had the crappy box magazine. Now you were fighting both a rimmed feed and an off balance cartridge. Still use my old .410 anyway.
Old October 26, 2016, 08:09 AM   #42
Virginian

J.C. Higgins never made one gun. They were rebranded from other manufacturers - Mossberg and Stevens for example.
The problem wasn't the receiver tube being weak, but the bolt handle or other retention system. I know there was one Sears model where the bolt tended to shear off that they recalled.
Old October 26, 2016, 09:35 AM   #43
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Bolt action shotguns were not stronger than a pump. Every pump I have seen has the bolt lock into the barrel or forward portion of the receiver in some fashion. The bolt shotguns relied on a squared off handle boss that was welded to the bolt to keep the action closed, and the action/ barrel was even two piece.
Bolt action high power rifles for the most part are very different animals.
I was thinking about the Mauser conversions I saw in a gun shop. I stand corrected. Those guns were single shot BTW.

There is no advantage of bolt action then, other than simplicity and low cost.

-TL
Old October 27, 2016, 07:57 AM   #44
98 220 swift

Quote:
I was thinking about the Mauser conversions I saw in a gun shop. I stand corrected. Those guns were single shot BTW.
I own one of the mauser conversion guns. I have owned 3 at different times. All where 2 shot repeaters. The work they did to make these 12 ga from 8x57 is amazing. The forward locking lugs serve no purpose any more the recesses in the receiver has been machined out for the larger shotgun shell. The only locking lug is the 3rd "safety lug". It does not get shot much recoil is pretty stout the gun is very light. It does make a good shotgun for squirrel or rabbit because it can be packed easily being so light. If I can get photo bucket to work I will post a few pics.