The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 15, 2015, 07:05 PM   #1
1911 obsessed

Anyone found a good load combo for the Kimber Solo

My Solo has a bad habit of failing to eject properly. I've tried loading 124 grain plated round nose X-Treme plated bullets.Using Unique powder I did three loads. 5.0 gr.with 6 out of 24 FTE's. 4.5 grain at 3 of 24 FTE and 4.1 grain with a best rate at only 2 of 24 ejection failure. I also ran 24 Speer Lawman 124 gr. FMJ with 8 out of 24 failure. All these were seated to 1.150 for the simple reason is that was the Speer dimension.I'm about to give Berry's 147 PRN a try. Not sure where to go now. Do I use a faster powder like IMR-700x, a slower one like Hodgdon HS-6 or stay with Unique?What would be a good length without over pressuring the round?Any ideas on the pressure range that cycles a Solo efficiently? I really want to like this Kimber but after 500 rounds of frustration I would love to find a working reload mainly because I refuse to pay over a dollar a round for ammo like Kimber recommends. My Kel-Tec PF-9 after over 5k rounds through it will eat and spit out just about anything that fits in the magazine so I'm pretty certain I'm not limp wristing the Solo. Any help will be greatly appreciated.