The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old June 21, 2014, 11:03 PM   #1
K.Benjamen

Research Help-Mid-1980's Revolver

Hello,
I am a fiction writer, and am currently working on a short story in which one character carries a revolver. This man is middle-aged, and has been a hobbyist collector for the past two years. Guns are a new interest for him, and he favors buying the newest, top-of-the-line models; the flashier the better. He lives in Virginia, and the story takes place in the June of 1986. He would have bought the revolver within the previous couple of months, and it needs to fit comfortably in a desk drawer.

What would you suggest I research? Thanks,

-K.Benjamen
Old June 21, 2014, 11:37 PM   #2
Wyosmith

As I recall the US Park service issued and requited the S&W M19 and M-66 in the late 70s. So for duty carry your man would probably not have a choice.

Perhaps someone else can confirm or refute this, but I am pretty sure I am correct.
Old June 21, 2014, 11:46 PM   #3
Webleymkv

A medium-frame .38 Special or .357 Magnum revolver would seem appropriate since those were the most commonly issued handguns to U.S. LEO's in the 1970's and remained popular through the late 1980's and early 1990's. Specific models that would be appropriate would include the S&W Models 10, 13, 15, 19, 64, 65, 66, and 67, the Colt Official Police, Trooper, and Lawman or the Ruger Security Six, Police Service Six, or Speed Six. Other models that, while not as common, would still be appropriate for the time period you describe would include the S&W Models 27 and 28 and Colt Python.

A lot would depend on whether you intend your character to use a handgun that he was issued by the park service or one that he purchased himself. If your character is using a personally-owned gun then your options are a bit more open. It would make sense to many readers for a park ranger to choose a bigbore magnum revolver such as a S&W Model 29, 57, or 58 or a Ruger Redhawk. Likewise, if you prefer your character to carry a semi-automatic of Teutonic origin, guns like the Walther PP, PPK, and P38 would be approprate as would the Sig P210 or P220. Other European semi-autos available at the time would include the Beretta 951 and various models from Star and Astra. Semi-autos of domestic manufacture available at the time would include the Colt Gov't Model and its variants and the S&W Models 39 and 59.
Old June 21, 2014, 11:47 PM   #4
SSA

Smith & Wesson 586.
Smith & Wesson 29.
Colt Python.

4" barrel, nickel plated.
Old June 22, 2014, 05:22 AM   #5
FM12

Either a S&W M 10 (38 spl) or 19 (357 mag) For an european pistol, a Browning Hi Power/9MM
Old June 22, 2014, 06:14 AM   #6
gyvel

Did I miss something? Where does it say he is an LEO?
Old June 22, 2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Sarge

4" nickel Python.
Old June 22, 2014, 08:28 AM   #8
AirCool65

Quote:
Did I miss something? Where does it say he is an LEO?
I was wondering the same thing.
Old June 22, 2014, 09:40 AM   #9
g.willikers

The time frame in question, 1986, was the beginning of increased acceptance of the pistol.
The gun shops of the era still mostly catered to the revolver shooter, but the wonder nines were gaining in popularity.
Sigs, S&Ws, the new fangled Glocks, might have attracted the attention of a relatively new gun enthusiast.
The 1911s weren't nearly as mainstream as they are now, but most serious collectors and shooters probably had at least one.
Hope that helped and didn't cause more confusion.
Old June 22, 2014, 09:51 AM   #10
jeager106

Many members here are also fiction writers.
Old June 22, 2014, 10:56 AM   #11
trigger643

Jaeger, I think that's 'fantasy writers'....

Mid 80's top-of-the-line revolvers were the Colt Pythons. Close runner's up with a solid following were the S&W 19 and/or 27.

The S&W 29 was and is a niche gun with a small following, mostly for folks who appreciate Clint Eastwood's monodimensional acting abilities.

The Dan Wesson was cutting edge with it's interchangeable barrels.

It was also the dawn of the wonder 9 semi autos with S&W leading the way on this side of the ocean. There were a few oddities from H&K at the time, Sig was ending it's importation agreement with Browning hoping to establish itself one day as a player here.

1911's were a curiosity and really weren't seen much outside of collector's and competitor's realms.
Old June 22, 2014, 11:57 AM   #12
SSA

Two separate threads were merged into one, here.
My earlier response was in regard to the 'flashy' gun question.
Old June 22, 2014, 01:33 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

The LEO aspect complicates things, and cancels the "newest, top-of-the-line models; the flashier the better" criterion, since LE agencies rarely issue (and in many cases won't allow use of) new, untried models or "flashy" guns.

If the character is a civilian gun person, buying for his own use, then there is not much of a limit. The S&W 586 was fairly new, as were the Colt Mk V series guns. Astra, Charter, Taurus, Dan Wesson and Ruger revolvers were also available, but not flashy and while the last two had seen some use by LEO's, they were not common.

Many kinds of autoloaders were available, but not Glocks. The Beretta 92 was fairly new, as were the Browning Hi-Power Double Action, the Desert Eagle, the H&K P95 and P-M8. In that era, any of those would have been considered "flashy" and "different."

If you don't mind advice, unless a writer really knows guns, it is not a good idea to go into much detail. Even though phony detail might impress the ignorant, mistakes will make the writer look silly to those who do know guns.

Examples:

"The detective drew his .349 caliber Smyth and Western Model 246 revolver and pulled the button. He looked in the nozzle to make sure there were bullets in the nine drum holes, ready if needed. He then pulled the clicker thingy and waited, finger on the puller thing."

"The detective drew his gun and waited."

The latter is better, unless one is being paid by the word, and by minimizing detail, avoids proclaiming the writer's total ignorance of guns.

Jim
Old June 22, 2014, 01:43 PM   #14
K.Benjamen

Thank you all for your input and support. I've taken all suggestions into consideration with some preliminary research.

And yes, my two threads were combined into one. I suppose they were too similar. The character not described above is a park ranger at Shenandoah. He is off-duty, and would be carrying his personal gun. As he has a special connection to Austria, it is likely he would carry a European make. He is all about reliability and accuracy, and would have had the gun for at least ten years. For him I am favoring the Sig P210.

For the character described in the initial post, I am favoring the S&W 19.

Thanks again, this has been very helpful. And I am always open to further suggestions and opinions.

K. Benjamen
Old June 22, 2014, 01:56 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

The SIG 210 would be a very good choice (it is Swiss, not Austrian, though), and certainly very accurate. It is a single action pistol, so your character will have to carry the gun cocked with the safety on ("cocked and locked") or cock the hammer before firing. The safety is on the upper front of the left grip and can be engaged with the hammer in either the cocked or uncocked position. Unlike most single action autos, the safety can be engaged with the hammer down (uncocked) and the hammer can be cocked with the safety on.

Jim
Old June 22, 2014, 02:38 PM   #16
PSP

If I wanted a small revolver in the 1980s, I'd probably opt for a Colt Detective Special .38 Special or a S&W Chief's Airweight. I did carry a Charter Arms Undercover in the '70s, but I consider it of less than sterling quality.

The cutting edge exotic pistol of that period may be the HK P7. These did see limited LE use in Washington D.C.
Old June 22, 2014, 02:52 PM   #17
g.willikers

OOps, sorry about misleading you about the Glocks.
They were in service by 1982, but introduced here in 1988 or so.
Close but no cigar.
It must have been nice back then not hearing that every gun on tv or the news is a Glock.

James K's advice about avoiding details you're not sure of is right on.
One of my former favorite authors, somewhere along the way, decided he was some kind of expert on cars and guns and got everything wrong.
So badly that I had to give up on him; it was getting to be too much.
Doubt if I was the only one.
His stories mostly take place in NYC, so maybe not.

Last edited by g.willikers; June 22, 2014 at 03:04 PM.
Old June 22, 2014, 03:44 PM   #18
RickB

Nickel-plated Python. Any handgun would "fit" in a desk drawer, but a gun "fit for a desk drawer" would probably be a compact gun, or compact version of a larger model.
Old June 24, 2014, 02:30 PM   #19
TATER

S&W Nickel-plated Mod. 36
Old June 24, 2014, 02:52 PM   #20
Jim Watson

Flashy revolver = nickel Python.

European connection 10 years earlier than 1986 = Browning High Power
Serious Austrian connection, their service pistol pre-Glock was a P38.
Old June 24, 2014, 05:30 PM   #21
kraigwy

In the 70-80s real cops carried revolvers.

My dept. (Anchorage PD), issued the Model 28s or Model 13s for the ladies).

I did carry a 2" Model 10 off duty.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 25, 2014, 08:40 AM   #22
Magnum Wheel Man

I agree with JIM's last suggestion... a flashy revolver, a Nickel Colt... a flashy semi... a Nickel Browning High Power
Old June 25, 2014, 09:44 AM   #23
TATER

Serpico!!, The BHP was still a pretty Hot item. Forgot about that..
Old June 25, 2014, 09:45 AM   #24
Have gun-will travel

My choice would be either a 2 1/2 in Nickel Colt Python or a 2 1/2 in S&W nickel model 19 357 mag .Those were the most sought after revolvers back in the 70's .Other choices would have been a Colt Detective special or a S&W model 60 ,both 38 specials
Old June 25, 2014, 10:04 AM   #25
Guv

How about a 44spl Charter Arms Bulldog.