The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 5, 2012, 10:58 PM   #1
gizmo688

Grendel Build Question

Quick question regarding a 6.5 build. Everything I've read has led me to believe a 6.5 upper can be build with standard AR-15 parts with the exception of the bolt and the barrel.

Then I ran across this site.

Quote:
One cannot simply slap a 6.5mm barrel on any AR-15 and achieve a high level of competitive accuracy. The Alexander Arms Grendel rifles use Lothar Walther hand-lapped stainless barrels that are carefully chambered, throated, crowned, and fitted to the upper receiver. Even the throat is specially cut and lapped for increased accuracy. The upper and lower receivers are precisely fitted, with absolutely no play between the halves.
Is this just the standard marketing junk? Can I still, in fact, install a Grendel barrel onto a standard A3 upper? Can I then stick that upper on my existing lower?
Old August 5, 2012, 11:32 PM   #2
10-96

Quote:
Is this just the standard marketing junk?
Pretty much. It does sound like they put theirs together with a higher degree of attention to detail and a higher $$ barrel. But there's nothing that will hinder you from going ahead with your plans.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:41 PM   #3
Creeper

Barrel and bolt is all that is required. 5.56 mags work fine... just not as many rounds for a given size.
About $300 is all it takes to get the 2 parts... dependent on the maker and barrel length, you may need a new gas block, new muzzle brake and gas tube too. That last bit is pretty obvious though.

Cheers,
C