The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 27, 2012, 05:46 PM   #1
WIN1886

Thinking of a FN TSR 223 cal for long range varmint hunting

Don't know much about the rifle other than seeing one at a local shop and one of the employees bragging it up ! It did seem a bit heavy but I guess for long range shooting this isn't a big deal.....most likely with bipod and scope attached it will weigh close to 11 lbs or so ! Anybody got one to share some light on the rifle ? Thanks !
Old June 27, 2012, 07:28 PM   #2
Burner

Have an FNAR which is a precision rifle from the same manufacturer. Fit, finish and function were all 100% and supremely good for the price point. Accuracy is very very good. Have an FNX-40 which isn't my favorite handgun but is certainly extremely well manufactured.

Sorry, not the exact rifle you are looking for, but know that what they produce are winning products.

Last edited by Burner; June 27, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old June 28, 2012, 04:56 PM   #3
WIN1886

No doubt , the FN TSR did look and feel well made ! Arggh ,I just got to handle a Kimber montana in 223 cal. as well.....it is way lighter than the FN TSR USA 223 cal. and sure seems to be a quality rifle ! The only thing I wonder is if a lightweight barrel can as accurate for longer range varmint hunting and I personally have not had any experience with Kimber products either !
Old June 29, 2012, 10:55 AM   #4
Burner

Kimber rifles don't have an amazing reputation, but the firearm world is a lot like High School - the most damning gossip is usually bull****.

That being said assuming equal manufacturing quality, the lightweight barrel profile'd Kimber will be a little less accurate off the block and the heavier barrel profile of the FN will take over in accuracy as more rounds are fired at any one session. It's a thermal thing. I'd say decide whether weight or accuracy is more important to you.

For what it is worth, if I had to make an informed guess, I'd say that the inherent quality of the FN is higher without reservation.
Old July 5, 2012, 08:48 PM   #5
WIN1886

tough call !

Since I don't know much about the Kimber or the FN , I'm thinking of trying to find a Sako hunter stainless with laminated stock in 223 cal. sort of a compromise in weight vs barrel thickness of the other two models ! I know Sako's are getting ridiculously expensive but having owned previous ones ( mostly bought used ) I trust them for being pretty accurate and well made ! I would want one with the 1 in 8" twist rate for shooting heavier bullets which they offer !
Old July 5, 2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

"Long range" sorta varies with the shooter. Generally, a "good, stiff breeze" will move a .223 bullet about six inches at 300 yards.

My Ruger light sporter in .223 is a half-MOA critter. I've had no trouble with prairie dogs to 300. (Ample enough numbers that there was no need to look further.) It's not too heavy to use as a walking-around rifle. And I'll admit I look with favor on weights below eight pounds.

Heavy barrels make sense for long and fairly rapid strings of shots. They are no more precise than a light barrel for the first two or three shots, so the usefulness varies with what's intended.