The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old September 4, 2010, 11:10 AM   #26
wally626

http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/cod.../ar47/ch2.html

Has the current concealed carry permit regulations for Indiana. You are automatically disqualified for having a previous felony or domestic battery conviction or being charged with more serious weapons related felonies. Otherwise it looks like anyone who is legal to own a handgun can get a permit.

I did not see anything about drug specific violations that were not felonies.
Old September 4, 2010, 11:36 AM   #27
HiBC

Here is my observation,for what it is worth,and it was evident in the thread I started about medpot cards versus filling out the firearms purchase form,"I am not a user of...
Some folks dwell in the land of what IS.What is the law,what does it mean,what are the choices availabe,etc.
We can discuss at length whether a law is stupid,and I might agree,but the really critical point is,the LEO,the DA,etc or those who grant the permits are not going to dimiss the law because we think it is stupid.

We can sit around going"Man,the pot laws are just so wrong,its like beer,pot smokers are mellow,on and on " but that is in the land of make believe.Facing life with "Thats not fair" is what we do before we figure out life is not fair.
IMO,a person is stuck with"If I want to retain my 2nd Ammendment Rights,then I must make a choice"
Not speaking of harder drugs,but if a person just wants to smoke pot,these days are probably easier than the 60s-70's.The reality we have to live with,because it is true,the laws do not like the combination of guns and drugs.If I were to decide to use controlled substances,I would sell my guns.As I hold my 2nd Ammendment rights a higher priority than than smoking pot,I do not posess or use pot It is my choice.
I can drink alchohol,or I can drive.If I drive after 2 beers and a shot,I'm going to get caught because I would have a $10,000 bounty on my head.That is what it costs.I have to make a choice.If I tell the officer or the judge"I drive slow and I'm only going 2 blocks blah blah blah it is not going to matter how I feel about it.If I blow over a .04 I'm busted.I will lose my job,and I had better not have a gun in the car.They don't like drunks with guns,either.
As the weenie punch guy said,its about being a grown up.Yeah,I know,its not fair.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:07 PM   #28
grey sky

I know this one

This is hard to follw but I will try. Indiana will issue a permit if one was convicted of a crime as a minor that would have been a felony if one was an adult, but you won't pass the NICS. So you can qualify for the permit but can't buy a gun? Indiana and the feds have different standards. A face to face would be legal in Indiana.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:14 PM   #29
Sarge

Just call ATF and ask them.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:13 PM   #30
n7qvu

The GCA says:
Crime punishable by imprisonment
for a term exceeding 1 year. Any Federal,
State or foreign offense for which the
maximum penalty, whether or not imposed,
is capital punishment or imprisonment
in excess of 1 year.

Notice it says exceeds 1 year. The OP said 1 year.

Also previous post said call ATF, last I checked the FBI is owner of NICS that does the background checks.

Just go try to buy a gun, then you will know...at least for that day.
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.