The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 16, 2010, 06:31 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Got to shoot a nice broom handle Mauser this last weekend...

my local gunsmith & machining buddy wanted to come over & shoot a couple rifles on Sunday, so he shot a 22 Winchester he had just built on a Jap action, & a 38-55 he just completed on a Greener Martini shotgun action... so I pulled out my Martini "safari" in 45-70 & my custom, rolling block in 40-65 ( it was pretty breezy, so I left the fast twist 22 Hornet at the house...

when we got out to the range, he pulled out his broom handle Mauser... avery nice numbers matchng pre import marked gun... he has made a "key" that fits in the stripper clip slot, that allows loading of single cartridges, he's also made a clamp on front sight that allows the gun to shoot to point of aim...

standing at 25 ft from my pistol backstop, I found the gun pretty easy to shoot ( his were slightly lighter loads, to save his recoil spring, which has been damaged before from heavy loads ) for me, ( how I used the sights ) it shot just slightly low with about 1/2 the shots going into the bottom of my 3" dot, with the balance grouping nicely, but just below the dot... I got to shoot 2 magazines full, & total group size was about 4" in 20 rounds... a really interesting gun... kinda funny recoil, & grip, with the round wooden grip so far back on the gun... I'll probably never own one, but thought I'd offer up my expiriences with it, & curious how many if any of you have & shoot one ???

BTW... I got a ( 7" ) bullseye hit with my 40-65 at 200 yards I last had it out at 150 yards, & my 1st 3 shots at 200 yards hit the barrel( I use steel 55 gallon drums at various distances, as target backers on my range ), at the bottom, then I adjusted the tang sight up a bit too much & my next 3, only 2 hit, at the very top of the barrel, only 2 rounds left with the same bullet ( a 400 grain round nose ) with unknown charges, that I got with the rifle, & I got one in the 7" bullseye, & one outside just to the left... can't wait to get all the rest of the unmarked ammo shot up & load some with known powder charges

I did some fast twist Hornet shooting on Satuday, with both the revolver & the rifle, & went to a CMSA ( Cowboy Mounted Shoot ) on Friday night...

a pretty darned nice weekend

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; August 16, 2010 at 06:40 AM.