The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 25, 2010, 06:16 PM   #26
alloy

You didn't really say why you were moving, none of my business, but Jefferson's UVA and Charlottesville has some historical clout and a reasonable standard of living, and there are various governmental doings in the area which Im sure you can research if that is open to you. http://www.rrpc.org/
Then you got the beach and associated naval and military, Richmond is nice once you get your way around.
Point being...it isn't all traffic, but a 4 wheel drive might be in your future if this winter is like the last.

Bring deer rifle and bird gun.
Old July 26, 2010, 11:59 AM   #27
blume357

even though I don't live in VA. I've carried a good bit there..

with no problem.... but the northern VA area just below D.C. is just like any big Metro area... a nightmare in the a.m. and in the afternoon around 5....

I once had over an hour to get to near Arlington and was cooking up I-95 untill.... got off and still didn't make it.. did use up a lot of luck though... stupidly doing up to 90mph between lights in down town Alexandria.... all the cops must have been at Dunkins....

Just keep in mind that what rights you have in VA... you give up once you cross the river either into D.C. or over into MD
Old August 29, 2010, 05:49 AM   #28
VAGunTraining

Quote:
The CCW process is probably too simple (IMHO). Pretty sure you can take an online test to qualify these days.
You can. There are a few of them out there. We offer it at Virginia Gun Training | Online Concealed Carry Course for 30 bucks. Since you're new to VA, shoot me an email and I'll give you a $10 "Welcome to VA" discount
Old August 29, 2010, 06:11 AM   #29
lamarw

I moved from Northern VA (Woodbridge) two years ago to East Central Alabama. I had lived in No. VA for 20 years. My pulse rate went from 105 in Va to 72 in Alabama. While I was in VA, the open carry law came about. I have to say, I saw very few doing so and also very few I suspected of concealed carry. Most of the population in the area work for the Government or are civilian contractors for the Government. You can not carry in any manner in or on Government facilities. You spend so many dang hour at work or in you vehicle trying to get to and from work to where you only have about 8 hours of life left in the day. Therefore, I guess it gives you 8 hours to carry your favorite fire arm while you are sleeping.
Old August 31, 2010, 01:47 PM   #30
HeroHog

A DD214 and a few bucks and I had mine.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old August 31, 2010, 05:34 PM   #31
LoneStranger

About 2 years ago I attended a Navy ship reunion located out by Dulles Airport. Came into D.C. on Amtrak and drove out to meeting from downtown train station.

Came to the firm conclusion that the reason it took 4 years to fight Civil War was due to the roads in that part of the world. Nobody and I mean Nobody can figure out where they are much less where they are going.

As an example the group traveled around on tour busses with local driver and GPS and we still got lost or couldn't get there from here.

So, BEWARE, BEWARE!!
Old September 1, 2010, 02:19 AM   #32
Pedersoli

Virginia is very gun friendly.