The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 9, 2010, 07:13 PM   #26
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

My 44 mag has a has a 7 1/2" barrel and its in my blind when I deer hunt for a back up. My 41 mag has a 4" barrel and Pachmayr grips. It is the carry gun if I am walking in the woods or desert and might meet something inimical to my well being. Both shoot to the same point of aim at 50' and 100 yards. Both feel the same in my hands shooting and I really doubt that anything shot with either gun is going to notice the difference between the 210 gr bullet or the 240 grain bullet when the shooting is close up and personal. I know they won't be able to tell the difference between .410" and .429" or the difference in velocity.

I can only say if you can only have one I would think about the use. If carry is important the 41 might be more desirable, if versatility, the ability to shoot hot 44's and then 44 spcl, The 44 is the winner. Comes down to which gun makes you giggle more when you have it in your hand. As for me I'm keeping both, shooting both and using both.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 9, 2010, 07:40 PM   #27
22-rimfire

I prefer the 41 mag. But unless you have a fair amount of experience shooting both, I doubt you will be able to tell the difference. As said above, I doubt the deer or whatever could tell the difference either.

Overall ammo cost and availablity, the 44 gets the nod. Those Remington loads have always been just about the most expensive 41 mag ammo you can buy and to top that off, buying it at Gander Mt is even worse. I have a couple boxes of Remington that I bought at Gander Mt, but that was before the big price run up and I knew that the price was going up, so I bought what they had on the shelf.

When things normalize, you can get 41 mags at GA Arms for a fair price. Right now, they are having trouble filling orders due to a component shortage relative to demand. Things will change.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; June 9, 2010 at 07:51 PM.
Old June 9, 2010, 08:00 PM   #28
atlantis

Dunno about perceived recoil between the two calibers since I've only owned 44 mags, but I always read that a bear shot with a 41 mag would go down swearing he was hit w/a 44.
Old June 9, 2010, 08:19 PM   #29
orionengnr

Check out post #23.

Yet again, a first time poster has resurrected a thread from 2004.

You are responding to a 6 year old thread.
Old June 10, 2010, 05:55 AM   #30
Chesster

If you don't handload, pass on the .41.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old June 10, 2010, 08:39 AM   #31
EdInk

It's an old thread BUT Im sure somebody scrolling through is thinking about asking the same question.

FWIW: The .44 is the way to go.
Old June 10, 2010, 11:42 AM   #32
GeauxTide

I'm using 20gr of H-110 in my 41mag. I'm using 23gr of H-110 in my 44mag. I can't tell the difference in the muzzle blast. On the subject of recoil, I've owned both calibers in S&W and Rugers for 40 years. The Smith 44s had terrific torque compared to the 41s. I could shoot the 57/657s all day in 6". After 150 rounds in a 6" 44, I was ready to rest. The Ruger Blackhawks/SBH/Bisleys are quite comfortable in either caliber.
Old June 10, 2010, 03:40 PM   #33
ladyRuger

.41mag

i have a .41 mag the kick for me is real strong but i would use it for hunting.
Old June 10, 2010, 04:59 PM   #34
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Check out post #23.

You are responding to a 6 year old thread.
How many people posting here today were privy to this thread in 2004. How many times a year do we get a "Help me cure my flinch problem." thread. Some things just stay topical, we can't all be old dinosaurs.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old June 10, 2010, 06:39 PM   #35
orionengnr

Quote:
It's an old thread BUT Im sure somebody scrolling through is thinking about asking the same question.
Maybe...but that's why there is a search function.

The OP has long since made his decision and moved on...and maybe died of old age by now.

My points being that

a) this first time poster/5-6 (or more) year old thread phenonenon is one I see regularly and have never understood and
b) most of us like to read (and comment upon) a current discussion, not one that is six years dead and buried....
Old June 10, 2010, 07:05 PM   #36
DWFan

from post #6:
"The 41 does not have anywhere near the versatility in regard to bullet selection and bullet weights as compared to the 44. In the 44 I have used 180 , 200 , 220 , 225 , 240 , 265 and 300. The 41 is most commonly used with 170 and 210 grain bullets."

Things have changed in 6 years. Double Tap and Buffalo Bore offer 230gr, 250gr and 265gr loads for the .41 Mag to add to the traditional 170 and 210gr loads.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:14 PM   #37
22-rimfire

Quote:
Missed that. But always good to discuss the two calibers. I do agree with DWfan above, there are a lot more choices now in 41 mag, but how many actually take advantage of all the choices anyway in just about any caliber? You have you regular loads and you pretty much stick with them except for occasional experimental sessions where you test other stuff or you have a special use in mind.
Old June 10, 2010, 09:49 PM   #38
jben

I, for one, sorta like these kind of lingering old threads, particularly if the topic, like the one in this one, interests me. You get kind of a cross-section of answers that have morphed somewhat over time, and even from time to time offer some new information that pertains to changes that have taken place. In this thread, some important changes have taken place in the span of 6 years as pertains to ammo and handgun availability for the 41 mag. As has been pointed out, most of this could have also been found with the search function, but that's o.k. No harm, no foul. jben
Old November 27, 2010, 10:04 AM   #39
jlynch65

I own two 41 mags a Old and a New Model Blackhawk Ruger and a Old Model Blackhawk in 44 mag. I've killed more deer with the 44 but I've owned it for years where I just got the two 41s. After firing the 41s why I've owned a 44 I'll never know. Much less recoil with about the same knock down power. As far as getting ammo just load your own, it resolves all the problems.

Just my ideas on the subject.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:45 AM   #40
mtnbkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by orionengnr
Maybe...but that's why there is a search function.

The OP has long since made his decision and moved on...and maybe died of old age by now.

My points being that

a) this first time poster/5-6 (or more) year old thread phenonenon is one I see regularly and have never understood and
b) most of us like to read (and comment upon) a current discussion, not one that is six years dead and buried.
You're more than welcome to ignore the thread and move on, yet you posted to it twice to complain about the necromancy. Bored today?

Chris
Old November 27, 2010, 12:17 PM   #41
brian45auto

and then all the info is in fewer threads.
compared to having to read several threads just to see people griping about old threads.
+1 for reusing an old thread....isn't recycling the in thing these days?
Old November 27, 2010, 01:19 PM   #42
dahermit

Quote:
With .44 mag, every time you pull the trigger it feels like a hot air wave hits you in the face . Does the .41 mag feel the same
No. It feels a lot lighter.
Old November 27, 2010, 06:23 PM   #43
BlueTrain

I've never noticed a wave of hot air with anything I've ever shot. I have sometimes felt particles on my face, however.

I have owned both a .41 Magnum and a .44 Magnum, both with 4-inch barrels, both S&Ws, so they were very similar except that the .41 had fixed sights. I really couldn't tell the difference in recoil or blast, although I never shot one right after the other. The .357 with 125-grain loads, on the other hand, has a terrific blast but nowhere near as much kick. These were all factory loads I'm referring to.
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 27, 2010, 07:23 PM   #44
pythagorean

In a Super Blackhawk/Blackhawk I could go either way, .41 or .44 Magnum.
Between a 57/58 or 29 I'd rather the former, the .41, because it is stronger and will last longer.
If I had to choose one over the other in the gun of my choice I'd go Single Action and opt for the Blackhawk in .41.

Reloading is done very easily for either cartridge. There is a felt difference in recoil between the .41 and .44 to me. The .41 is more shootable, and perhaps because of this more accurate.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:38 PM   #45
mtnbkr

Quote:
I've never noticed a wave of hot air with anything I've ever shot. I have sometimes felt particles on my face, however.
I've felt it with a 500 S&W Magnum, but nothing else.

Chris
Old November 28, 2010, 06:17 PM   #46
wdelack

Of the three in the picture below, I found the .41 Mag to have a fairly light recoil - something closer to a .357 Mag. I have never shot "cowboy" loads out of the .45 Colt, only hand loads or Buffalo Bore type ammo.

Old November 29, 2010, 02:20 AM   #47
44 AMP
Staff

I got nothing against reviving old threads, if the one who raises it from the grave is asking a question (even the same question as the now long gone OP).

This one didn't, just made a comment on the price he paid for .41 ammo. And we took off discussing the OP's question. Again.

FWIW, here's my take on the .41 Mag (and yes, I have owned one)

On paper, its approx. 15% less energy than the .44. That means 15% less recoil in the same weight gun. Myself, I could never tell the difference. And I seriously doubt anything shot with a .41 could tell the difference either.

Since the ammo is not 15% cheaper (rather quite the opposite and more), and the guns are not 15% smaller or lighter (or cheaper) I really don't see the point to the .41 Mag. I got rid of mine years ago, and stuck with the .44.

THe .41 is however a cult cartridge. Those people who like them usually love them intensly. I respect that. I don't know why they do it, but I respect it.

That being said, I think its time to put this thread back in the grave. If you want to talk .41 vs .44, start a new thread.
Old November 29, 2010, 03:10 PM   #48
Chesster

Quote:
THe .41 is however a cult cartridge.
Well, there you have it. Question asked and answered. Enjoy the "Rocky Horror Picture Show".
Old November 29, 2010, 05:05 PM   #49
BODAME

41s & 44s

41 Blackhawks
The Georgia Mountains, Rhododendron Thickets, A Pair of 41 Rugers,
Wild Hogs and Mr Daniels.
May take more than one, but the 41 Round is very effective with a Hog
at Close Range.
Young and Dumb,
But : I like my 29s, especially my 4Inch (Don't Tread On Me)
Hagen

Last edited by BODAME; November 30, 2010 at 08:33 AM.
Old November 29, 2010, 05:40 PM   #50
Chesster

A J D Jones 275 FP .41 @ 1200-1250 fps from the short Blackhawk will sure ruin ole porkie's day.