The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 1, 2000, 11:26 AM   #1
fmjcafe

I was at a local gun show yesterday and a dealer there had a sign posted that all pistol grip only shotguns were also sold with a butt stock because the ATF had ruled that any shotgun sold with a pistol grip only was considered a handgun.This is news to me.Anyone else aware of this?

------------------
~Gordon~
Old October 1, 2000, 11:50 AM   #2
Badger Arms

A pistol-gripped shotgun is defined by the BATF as a firearm that is NOT designed for firing from the shoulder and therefore cannot be sold to anybody under the age of 21. That being said, they also do not classify it as a hand gun. Any hand gun with a bore diameter over .50" is considered a destructive device. So, No, it's not a handgun and, NO, it's not a long gun. Don't you just love legislative regulations? Why don't we have a Bureau of Free Speech and Religious Services? Whoops, already do in the FBI. Nevermind.
Old October 1, 2000, 05:26 PM   #3
Monkeyleg

There's so many regulations out there that even the BATF doesn't know what's going on. A local shop stopped selling SKS's because they couldn't figure out if the older ones with bayonet lugs were legal, and the ATF couldn't answer that question either. I swear, if I had the money I'd buy something that was questionable and take them to court on it. We've reached the point where legality is a subjective question.

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old October 1, 2000, 07:46 PM   #4
fmjcafe

The dealer in question also said that if I sold a pg only shotgun to someone it would be considered to be a hand gun sale unless I also included a butt stock with the weapon when the transaction was completed.Inclusion of the butt stock would make it capable of being fired from the shoulder
Old October 2, 2000, 12:05 AM   #5
Gopher

I thought if it had an eighteen inch barrel and was 26 inches long overall it was considered a rifle or shotgun reguardless. This sounds kinda fishy to me. I smell smoke!
Old October 6, 2000, 02:10 PM   #6
Bogie

Now for the real fun - If your Mossberg Cruiser was sold with only the pistol grip, you can send your $200 into Treasury, and then you can make yourself a legal sawed off "any other weapon" that is relatively easy to sell after you get your wrist outta the cast...

The AOW status means that it only requires a $5 transfer tax instead of the $200 transfer tax a short barrel shotgun would require. If it was sold with a shoulder stock, you're outta luck - $200 making tax, and $200 transfer tax.

Old October 7, 2000, 06:27 AM   #7
355sigfan

Personally for me its a non issue pistol grip only shot guns are useless for anything. How can you aim with out shouldering and how can you shoulder a shotgun without a stock.
PAT

------------------
I intend to go into harms way.