The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 11, 2013, 03:10 PM   #1
mbrittb00

CC Where to you carry your extra magazine(s)

I've seen lots of threads about various holsters to use for CC, but was curious how do you carry your spare magazine(s)?
Old February 11, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2
KMAX

I currently carry the extra mag for my LCP in my left front pocket in a small baggie with a rubberband to hold the bag on. Haven't found a mag pouch I like yet.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 11, 2013, 03:38 PM   #3
m&p45acp10+1

I do not carry spare magazines. I carry a spare gun instead. One in my waist band. One in my pocket. If I am just carrying my pocket gun then I do carry a spare mag. I have a mag pouch that my wife made me out of neoprene from an old pair of waders, with an attached clip from an old cellphone holder. It looks like a cell phone holster.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:45 PM   #4
Gaerek

Lately, I've been carrying an extra in my cargo pants pocket. If I'm not wearing cargo pants, then I usually won't carry a spare. Most mag pouches are pretty uncomfortable. However, I just ordered, and it should be here today or tomorrow, a horizontal mounted mag pouch that's supposed to be worn at around the appendix position on your weak hand side. I'm hoping this one will be more comfortable and I'll actually use it rather than the half dozen or so I have that are in my drawer collecting dust.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:20 PM   #5
DonJ441

Gaerek,

What's your source for that style of mag holder? Thanks
Old February 11, 2013, 04:39 PM   #6
9mm

I had a double pouch blackhawk magazine pouch with buttons, very quite. But I gained 10lbs so my shirts got tight and it prints easier. I just switched to the $10 blackhawk magazine holders you get at walmart, I keep both on my belt at 10 and 8 o clock, but closer when I put my belt on. Looks like a phone, no one sees it, you can't tell its a magazine, maybe something elsel ike a knife.

I will post photo around 2am tonight when I get home and after I finish homework.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:55 PM   #7
Grant D

I carry a extra magazine for my LCP in my watchpocket in my Wranglers.
If I'm also carrying my LC9, or a J frame, I carry the magazine or speed strip in my front pocket
Old February 11, 2013, 04:55 PM   #8
BigD_in_FL

Many folks like to use either cell phones belt holders or one that could house a Leatherman - makes them indiscreet
Old February 11, 2013, 05:04 PM   #9
zincwarrior

(M&P full size magazine)
keep in a button down pocket knife/tool style holster. Unless you're looking at it hard from the side you wouldn't tell it apart, and most of the time its actually under a jacket or hawaiian shirt so unseen anyway.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...1__?N=85400283
Old February 11, 2013, 05:14 PM   #10
SPEMack618

In the summer, I generally wear slighty baggy shorts made by Columbia with deep slash pockets. I could carry spare PMAGs in there if I wanted to.

They hold a spare mage just fine.

In the winter, generally I will wear a two cell magazine puch opposite of my gun and cover it the same as I do my pistol, with either an untuck shirt or a vest.
Old February 11, 2013, 06:28 PM   #11
Dragline45

Always a spare in my left pocket.

Quote:
But I gained 10lbs so my shirts got tight and it prints easier.
Man tell me about it. I gained 10lbs or so too in the past few months, really makes IWB carry a pain. Goodbye IPA's, hello light beer.
Old February 11, 2013, 07:14 PM   #12
Topsider

Quote:
Many folks like to use either cell phones belt holders or one that could house a Leatherman - makes them indiscreet
I think you mean "discreet."
Old February 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

I don't always carry an extra mag, but when I do, I prefer Don Hume.

Don Hume makes assorted spare mag carriers that clip on your belt OWB. They work well and conceal even better.
Old February 11, 2013, 08:00 PM   #14
The Great Mahoo

For my auto's, I generally carry a spare mag in my back pocket. I've got a couple of belt holders, but just don't really find them comfortable.

For my wheel-guns, I carry a speed-strip in a dump-pouch on my belt, or a speed-loader in a pouch on my belt. Occasionally, I'll drop a speed-strip of loader in my pocket, but usually I'll go for a belt pouch of some kind.

I guess I just don't like things on the left side...
Old February 12, 2013, 09:32 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Weak-side kydex mag pouch.
Old February 12, 2013, 10:48 AM   #16
Armybrat

I don't carry an extra mag for my LCP, just use my two feet to exit stage right.
Old February 12, 2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
It's not a belt holder..but it's an old BlackBerry pouch when I had a BlackBerry a couple years ago.

It fits my single stack P220 magazine just fine.

If it's for serious business I have a bianchi dual duty magazine holder that goes OWB @ 8 o'clock.

Usually for the SIG P226 that's right at my 3-4:30
Old February 12, 2013, 11:23 AM   #18
TailGator

Off-side front pocket works for me. I unload and blow the lint out once a week.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:08 PM   #19
chris in va

Quote:
I don't always carry an extra mag, but when I do, I prefer Don Hume.
I see what you did there.

But anyway, as I already have a Heavy SwissTool on my left side, carrying another 14rd mag for my P01 would make me feel like I have a Batman utility belt on.
Old February 12, 2013, 02:54 PM   #20
bigkrackers

Quote:
I currently carry the extra mag for my LCP in my left front pocket in a small baggie with a rubberband to hold the bag on. Haven't found a mag pouch I like yet.
Unless I'm missing your setup, that seems a bit complicated. Under zero stress, perfect weather conditions and in the light, I imagine you can get the rubber band off and the extra mag out of the baggie as long as the threat waits for you to do so or is otherwise engaged and not paying attention to you after unloading your first magazine at em.

Seriously, that's not good advise to give someone asking what to do with their extra magazine. Reminds me of the Archer episode where Archer used an empty Baby Ruth candy bar wrapper as a condom. There are much better and proper options to recommend.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:23 PM   #21
KMAX

Bigkrackers: Perhaps I didn't make it quite clear enough. The little baggie doesn't completely cover the mag, only the holes that would catch lint, and the rubberband is only tight enough to keep the bag from falling off in my pocket. If I try to take the mag out of my pocket the bag and band always come off. I am only using this until I can find an acceptable mag pouch. The leatherman pouch idea isn't too bad, but I would have to stuff some kind of filler in the bottom so I wouldn't have to fumble with digging the mag out. The LCP mag is pretty small for most pouches I have seen. I tried the watch pocket idea, but was worried about losing the mag from the pocket. Granted the baggie idea is not the best, sort of Redneck, but it is the best I have found at this point.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 12, 2013, 03:30 PM   #22
bigkrackers

Ah...I have a better picture now. Thanks for the explanation.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:30 PM   #23
RedBowTies88

I would like to get an IWB double mag pouch, something like what crossbreed offers but I need to be sure it fits my "less then common" magazines.

For now though carrying 2 in the weak side back pocket has been working. It's quite comfortable despite what you (what I) thought it was going to be like. However access is not as fast as a open top mag pouch.
Old February 12, 2013, 06:50 PM   #24
tmorone

I carry about 10 or 11 o'clock (weak side) in a Raven Concealment kydex mag pouch.
Old February 12, 2013, 07:07 PM   #25
dfsixstring

I bought this for my 9mm double stack mags:
http://www.comp-tac.com/product_info...roducts_id=135
It was expensive and has proven to be the most uncomfortable accessory I've ever tried to use. It just sits in my dresser now and I drop mag in my pocket...sigh.

Dfsixstring
SR9c
LCP
RST4S