The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 14, 2012, 10:23 AM   #1
FoghornLeghorn

What do you think about the Zeiss Conquest?

I recently bought a Sig 716 and am shopping for a scope. The Zeiss Conquest w/Rapid Z reticle seems appealing.

The Rapid Z comes in 400, 600, 800, 1000 gradations. I'm thinking for the gun/caliber combo, anything above 600 is overkill.

What do you think about the scope and the Rapid Z?

thanx
Old September 14, 2012, 12:40 PM   #2
jmr40

I have a Diavari and a Conquest, but with the standard duplex. Great glass, as clear and sharp as you are likely to get. I don't have any experience with the Rapid-Z reticle, but my opinion is that it is not worth the extra expense. A Conquest with the standard reticle is $399, to get the rapid-Z it will be closer to $550.

I can't say anything bad about the Zeiss, but I just like Leupold a little better. Their long range reticle is less cluttered and easier to use in my opinion. A bit less expensive, especially with a long range reticle in both. I recenly bought a VX-2 with LRD for $330. It is every bit as good as my Zeiss scopes.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-3-9x40-VX-2-...pe-P51800.aspx

Both my Leupold and the Zeiss you are looking at are geared toward hunting rifles. There are many other options out there geared toward miltary style and tactical rifles that my meet your needs better than either of these. Not really my specialty so I'll leave that advice to others who know more.
Old September 14, 2012, 05:06 PM   #3
AllenJ

I bought a Zeiss Conquest last year and mounted it on a Vanguard S2 in 243 Winchester. Very clear, very bright, and for $399 I think it is a great deal. My only complaint is the plastic caps on the turret adjustments, kind of cheap IMO. I would not hesitate to buy another though if I were in the market for another scope.

No expierence with the Rapid-Z reticle.
Old September 14, 2012, 09:33 PM   #4
BGutzman

716 and no pics.... that is a shame.... its on my dream list..
Old September 14, 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
dmazur

I had Leupold VX-II 3-9's with the LRD reticles on two rifles. They were OK, but I needed something with 1/2" more eye relief to eliminate the need for offset rings (Ruger No. 1's).

The Zeiss Conquest 3-9's did the trick. Nice, sharp images and 4" of eye relief. I got the Rapid-Z 600 reticles, because these match the ballistics of the .30-06 w/ 150gr and .243 with 95gr fairly well.

Also, the Zeiss reticles are etched and the Leupold's are not. I believe you have to step up to the VX-III's to get etched reticles from Leupold, but I may be misinformed...

The only complaint I had was the knurled rubber ring on the occular. It prevented mounting Butler Creek scope protectors. After removing it, there was no trouble getting a good fit.
Old September 16, 2012, 07:57 PM   #6
tobnpr

I'd read really great reviews on them, and was looking at the 6.5-20 x50 for a long-range rifle.

That is, until I checked their specs and they only have 45 minutes of total elevation adjustment. Wish it would have worked...
Old September 17, 2012, 08:32 PM   #7
maustypsu

Conquest is a great deal - maybe the best all around value in scopes for most common applications.

The glass is FAR superior to Leupold in the same price range.

You can buy Docter optics that cost more and I have trouble telling the difference. Of course, those are/were made in the Jena Zeiss factory. You really have to step up to S&B / Swarovski price range to be able to noticably tell the difference in glass quality over a Conquest.

As far as the Rapid Z goes, I can do you one better... Right now you can get a 'rebate' on new Conquest purchases where the factory will put your ballistic drop from your specific caliber built right into the scope. This is buying the standard duplex at its regular price. Quite a nice upgrade if you were planning on getting the Rapid Z.

Good luck.