The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old January 24, 2012, 03:08 PM   #26
Mike Irwin
Staff

Yep, I did.

It was just what, and how far back, it was being shown that wasn't meshing up with what Mal was saying.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2012, 03:51 PM   #27
Mal H
Staff

That's because Mal doesn't know all the nuances of how the function works. I'll add a suggestion to the notice that members mark all forums read to begin with.
Old January 24, 2012, 05:39 PM   #28
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Mal doesn't know all the nuances of how the function works."

My faith in my fearless leader is shattered.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 24, 2012, 06:01 PM   #29
nate45

Helpful how to video.

*video* How to mark all forums read with one fell swoop. *video*
Old January 24, 2012, 08:25 PM   #30
Buzzcook

Here's my problem. The threads which I have responded to seem to be marked as unread even though I have read them subsequently and there are no new posts..
Is this just a change over thing or is this going to continue? I'd prefer they be marked as read until there is a new post.

For threads I haven't responded to I don't care if they're marked read or not. I can read a thread title either way.
Old January 24, 2012, 11:02 PM   #31
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Buzzcook, the quickest way to update all your cookies, is to mark the entire forum as read.

At the main index page, at the very bottom of the forum listings, you will see 2 options in the blue bar: Mark Forums Read View Forum Leaders

Click on the "Mark Forums Read" option.
Old January 25, 2012, 11:34 AM   #32
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Buzzcook, the quickest way to update all your cookies, is to mark the entire forum as read.

At the main index page, at the very bottom of the forum listings, you will see 2 options in the blue bar: Mark Forums Read View Forum Leaders

Click on the "Mark Forums Read" option.
How does this help? And what if I have NOT read the entire forum? I want to see what's new since my last visit ... which is the way TFL worked until Tuesday (Jan 24), and the way every other vBulletin forum I have ever encountered works.

If the problem is that the unread bolding was expiring before people read threads, simply due to inactivity, you have used napalm to try to eliminate a gnat. Unread posts/threads don't self-expire on other vBulletin forums, no matter how long I walk away from the computer ... as long as I don't log off. But I have never had to manually mark anything as read.

Why would I mark as read something that I have not read? Seems rather counter-intuitive to me.
Old January 25, 2012, 03:08 PM   #33
nate45

This board is functioning pretty much exactly as The High Road does.

Here is a tip, I marked all forums read on my last visit. When I visited today, I clicked New Posts. All of the New Posts since my last visit are contained within those results. If I open a thread, then go back to the New post results that thread will be eliminated from those results, until someone makes a new post.

Lets say one is reading through the various pages of New Posts and they're on page 4 and open a thread. Now you want to start reading the new posts from where you left off and not from the beginning, just hit the back button.

Also, the easiest way to keep up with threads you are very interested in,has always been to Subscribe to them.
Old February 22, 2012, 09:50 PM   #34
7.62 Nato

This is my first sign on since implimented. I'm looking forward to reading TFL this way. It was always irritating if i was slow, or distracted to come back to no new threads. I'm used to this style on other boards.

Thank you very much.