The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2010, 06:21 AM   #1
BamaBowtie

Got my Step-dad's 1964 Wingmaster

My Step-dad gave me the shotgun that once belonged to his Grandfather, it's a Remington 870 Wingmaster in 16 gauge. It has some surface rust but is overall in decent shape. This was the first gun I ever shot when I was 16. He let me keep it in my room as I was home alone often and I have not really seen it since I moved out about ten years ago. It has the fancy checkering, factory recoil pad, and two barrels that are either 24 or 26 inches. One of the barrels is full choke and the other is Imp. cylinder. Here is the best part, the gun has less than 75 rounds through it! I am considering trying some kind of trap or skeet shooting. Does anyone have suggestions for a complete newbie? Trap? Skeet? Best ammo?
Old September 24, 2010, 12:59 PM   #2
zippy13

Congratulations, with less than 75 rounds, it isn't even broken it. About those barrels, I couldn't tell if you meant they were the same length at 24 or 26-inches, or two different barrel lengths. Does either barrel have a ventilated rib and a mid-rib bead?

For starters, consider the full choke barrel for trap shooting and the imp cyl for Skeet. The problem is going to be finding target ammo in 16-ga; typically, shotgun ranges have shells in only 12, 20, 28-ga and .410-bore. Your LGS or big box store may seasonally have 16-ga dove loads (around #8 shot) that will be okay for Skeet or trap practice.