The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old May 14, 2008, 06:36 PM   #26
sw_florida

The gasoline and lighter sounds effective. I don't smoke though. When I read your post I couldn't help but think, how about you squirt the scum bag with gasoline, then pull out your handgun and say, "Shall I light you up?"
Old May 14, 2008, 10:13 PM   #27
Hardtarget

My son uses a good response when he's asked for change. He says "I don't have any money for you". If they keep on he says" I don't have any money for YOU" They seem to get the point.

I have not had a problem with this...yet.

Mark.

Last edited by Hardtarget; May 14, 2008 at 10:14 PM. Reason: changed a word or two
Old May 15, 2008, 01:32 AM   #28
JohnKSa
Staff

For any who are in doubt...

This subforum is the "Tactics & Training" subforum.

It is NOT the "Whine Because the Police Won't Do What I Want Them To Do" subforum.
Old May 15, 2008, 05:27 AM   #29
DMacLeod

Find another gas station if these panhandlers are bothering you. Is it worth the hassle to save 5 cents a gallon? Either that or start chewing tobacco. They get too close just spit on em. Tobacco juice in the eye has the same effect as pepper spray. Don't ask how I know this...
Old May 15, 2008, 12:28 PM   #30
pfch1977

Im not trying to whine about the police, but simply pointing out the cold hard facts. This forum is about tactics and Im simply stating what the police could do better in their tactics.

It appears to me that the police around here involve themselves more with enforcing traffic offenses then helping to prevent real crimes. Why target the hardworking taxpaying voting homeowners with giving tickets out for unsafe lane changes and a no turn on red? Why not target the persons in the community who are more likely to commit actual violent crimes and are presently a nuisance to the community?

In this situation, the police are using the tactic of doing nothing at my local gas stations and not involving themselves until something really goes down.

This tactic is foolish. Eventually, the homeless guy or a motorist will become frustated and violence might occur. The homeless guy might become more desperate as his tactic of asking for money fails time and time again. So before anything violent happens, why cant the police take a few simple steps?

The police could simply drive up to the homeless guy to ask him what is going on and what is he doing at the station. They could go inside and alert the station attendant and ask if this person is allowed on the property. These few simple steps might send a message to these individuals. Even if it doesnt send a message, doing something is a lot better tactic then doing nothing and pulling over innocent motorists for driving offenses.
Old May 15, 2008, 12:31 PM   #31
Slopemeno

So it sounds like the title of this thread should have been: "Panhandlers at gas stations".
Old May 15, 2008, 12:59 PM   #32
cschwanz

Quote:
Why target the hardworking taxpaying voting homeowners with giving tickets out for unsafe lane changes and a no turn on red?
they do that to prevent you from turning when you arent supposed to and hitting and killing a lil kid like what happened in my town last week. making an unsafe lane change can cause a mom driving her 3 kids to soccer practice to swerve, lose control and hit a pole killing everyone inside. Do i like cops watching traffic violations more than crime areas? No. can they watch every single gas station? No. like others have said, we can't rely soley on police support to defend ourselves in a situation like this.

/end rant

as for the topic, i have avoided going to the gas stations where i have seen or heard of these type of problems. I always get gas during the day instead of at night now as well
Ignorance can be fixed....its called education. Stupid will get you killed!
Old May 15, 2008, 01:48 PM   #33
Broadside

I was going to recommend the lighter trick. You don't need to smoke to carry a small Bic lighter in your pocket. To the best of my knowledge, it isn't illegal to carry a Bic lighter concealed (yet).

I also don't think anyone has ever been arrested for brandishing a gas pump nozzle. Just displaying the nozzle and the lighter should take care of any problems.
Old May 15, 2008, 11:53 PM   #34
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
This forum is about tactics and Im simply stating what the police could do better in their tactics.
As I said, this is not a forum for you to whine about how the police don't operate the way you want them to.

If you would like to start another thread discussing tactics to help forum members deal with panhandlers or asking forum members how you or they can deal with panhandlers you're welcome to do so.