The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 17, 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
rebs

ball patch ?

I am looking for a 1 inch .015 patch to use with round balls in my 50 cal muzzle loader. what smaller caliber black powder patch measures 1 inch across ?
Old September 17, 2017, 06:22 PM   #2
Hanshi

I buy ticking or denim at Joanns and cut my own and lube them with mink oil from TOW.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:26 PM   #3
roashooter

Or.....you do it like many others and have a strip of patching...that after "seating" the ball...you cut off flush with the muzzle with your patch knife...thus having a uniform patch...each and every time...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPrrWjX7_T4
Old September 17, 2017, 06:50 PM   #4
Hawg

I cut mine at the muzzle. It's too hard to get a patch centered every time and it affects accuracy if it's off. Some people say it doesn't but it does with my rifle.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:56 PM   #5
Pahoo

Track of the Wolf

Quote:
I am looking for a 1 inch .015 patch
Did not state, lubed or dry. Track-of the Wolf has what you need. I sense that you have more to say about what you are looking for. ....

You may run into patches that are dual rated for .45 bad .50, that run a bit smaller. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old September 18, 2017, 07:41 AM   #6
rebs

Yes I am looking for a cal rated patch that is 1" in diameter. I seen the different cal patches online but they do not say what diameter they are. Dry or lubed doesn't matter to me. I have used both.
Old September 18, 2017, 09:37 AM   #7
Model12Win

Why do you specifically want a 1" patch?
Old September 18, 2017, 10:29 AM   #8
Pahoo

Size does matter

Rebs,
Per my previous reply, dual/multiple caliber patches tend to be of a smaller diameter, than those rated for just .50. Below is an example of what I'm talking about. Even though they don't or may not list the diameter the caliber pretty much sets the diameter. But hey, if the diameter is critical to you, then why not give these folks a call and hopefully, they can give you more information. The only time one "may" get in trouble with a patch, is when it actually covers the front of the ball or not provide the proper seal. I have a number of patches that are caliber specific and will measure them and get back to you. .....

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...0/1/OX-15-40-L

Be Safe !!!
Old September 18, 2017, 11:29 AM   #9
Model12Win

Cutting at that muzzle can be a very consistent way to get a patch to be centered rightly thus unto the gun's bore.

Recovered patches cut at the muzzle show great concentricity. It can be a might bothersome though in the field without the aid of some type of rest to lay the piece against when cutting. Pre-cut patches are more convenient for hunting. It can be quite a trick to get at the muzzle in such conditions as having no rest for the rifle or support as in the hunting environment. Be careful not to nick oneself!

Still, one can go to Jo-Anns and find the proper fabric of which there are several. Take along a micrometer and measure the thickness. Buy what you need, or perhaps several different types. Look for a strong natural fabric with a tight weave, such as pillow ticking or denims. Avoid synthetics such as polyester, they are no good for our purposes and can melt in the barrel.

Then, one can lubricate them with all manners of natural lubricants, there are endless recipes and combinations. Trying them along with varying the quantity and type of powder, among other factors, all play in getting the piece to "shoot sweet" as it were.

One can cut at the muzzle, or use what is referred to as a "hollow punch" which takes such form as an inverted cone with a handle atop it. It produces a circular patch. Some hollow punches are of superior quality, though all may need to have their edges dressed to keep them cutting patches rightly.
Old September 18, 2017, 11:46 AM   #10
Pahoo

Good Luck

Rebs,
By now you should see that patches are rated by caliber and you are specific on what you are looking for. It's not surprising that you can't find that listed 1" requirement but you may have a good reason for this. .....

I have measured my patches and the ones rated for a .50 cal, are 1-3/8".

My dual rated .45-.50 patches, have a smaller diameter of 1-1/8". AS for me, I call that good. Looks like your going to have to punch out your own.

As Marco would say; Good luck. .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 18, 2017, 02:32 PM   #11
rebs

I was at a muzzle loader shoot and seen how good some of those guys shot. Most said they die cut their own patches and for 50 cal they cut them at 1" diameter which makes it much easier to center on the bore to seat the ball. Also there is less fabric bunching up in the bore when the ball is shot.
Old September 18, 2017, 04:18 PM   #12
Model12Win

One can always cut at the muzzle, seating the ball maybe 1/16" below flush at the muzzle, and measure the fired patch. This will give you an ideal patch size to be sure.
Old September 20, 2017, 08:28 PM   #13
the Black Spot

Go to a second hand store and buy a article of clothing labeled linen. Cut out all the patches u want.
Old September 20, 2017, 10:07 PM   #14
4V50 Gary
Staff

What theBlackSpot suggested. Only thing I would do is to bring calipers and to check the label. No synthetics please.
Old September 20, 2017, 11:22 PM   #15
roashooter

Quote:
Only thing I would do is to bring calipers

imagine the looks I got when I did this very thing at the fabric shop...way back when.....micking the various 100% cotton samples....
Old September 21, 2017, 07:42 AM   #16
rebs

I bought some 45-50 patches like another guy suggested and they are a lot easier to center on the bore to seat the ball.
Old September 21, 2017, 09:56 AM   #17
OldScout

I was into black powder shooting back in the 70's and had a .50 Hawken. Never had to worry about patches vs accuracy etc. I had a set of cutters and made my own patches for all my black power rifles and pistols. Never a problem with accuracy or performance of and firearm.
Old September 21, 2017, 10:23 AM   #18
Pahoo

Flax fibre

For a number of years, I too thought that "all" patching material was made from Cotton. Then read about "Fine Irish Linen" and it's made from Flax fibre. When the M/L allows me to do so, I shoot .495 with a .010 patch. However, when teaching I only mention .490 with a .015 "Linen" patch. Whenever I shoot, I read the shot patches to see how they are performing. .....

Quote:
Irish linen (Irish: Línéadach Éireannach[1]) is the brand name given to linen produced in Ireland. Linen is cloth woven from, or yarn spun from the flax fibre, which was grown in Ireland for many years before advanced agricultural methods.
Be Safe !!!
Old September 21, 2017, 10:39 AM   #19
DD4lifeusmc

flax is a natural fiber basically more common in the old world than here in the USA
Here Cotton is prevalent and linen is made from cotton, clear back to the Egyptian days.

linen also comes in different thicknesses.

cotton,linen, denim etc is measured by weight.
they increase the weight two ways. using a thicker diameter thread, or weaving it titghter with more threads per inch.
Try your bed sheets ( all cotton ones) they make good patches
very lightweight blue jeans (like for toddlers) will also work
Old September 21, 2017, 10:51 AM   #20
Pahoo

Flax fibre, is current

Quote:
flax is a natural fiber basically more common in the old world than here in the USA
Not exclusive to the old world or even Europe. What I have left, is a table-cloth that came from "Penny's".

What you may want to ask, is; Why Flax fibre "might" be better that Cotton?

Be Safe !!!
Old September 21, 2017, 11:50 AM   #21
Hawg

Linen has a lower thread count than cotton because the threads are thicker. Linen is stronger and wears better than cotton. Linen sheets last a lot longer than cotton sheets and get softer with age.
Old September 22, 2017, 01:06 PM   #22
Model12Win

Well I know that flax string I use to tie measures and picks and things to my hunting bag sure is tough stuff!!
Old September 22, 2017, 01:35 PM   #23
Jbar4Ranch

I bought a set of 1500 TPI pillowcases on closeout at Walmart because I couldn't find fabric locally with that high of a thread count.

SASS 47015
Old September 22, 2017, 02:20 PM   #24
Lee44ShooterCnB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DD4lifeusmc View Post
Here Cotton is prevalent and linen is made from cotton, clear back to the Egyptian days.

linen also comes in different thicknesses.

cotton,linen, denim etc is measured by weight.
they increase the weight two ways. using a thicker diameter thread, or weaving it titghter with more threads per inch.
Try your bed sheets ( all cotton ones) they make good patches
very lightweight blue jeans (like for toddlers) will also work
Image result for linen is made from the flax plant
Linen fabric is made from the cellulose fibers that grow inside of the stalks of the flax plant, or Linum usitatissimum, one of the oldest cultivated plants in human history. Flax is an annual plant, which means it only lives for one growing season.
How Linen is Made – Deck Towel
Deck Towel › pages › how-linen-is-made...
https://www.decktowel.com/pages/how-...flax-to-fabric
Old September 22, 2017, 07:18 PM   #25
thallub

Best stuff i've found is unwashed cotton drill cloth. The patches are cut about 1 1/4" square. My patch lube is GoJo hand cleaner.