The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old May 8, 2012, 11:35 PM   #1
warningshot

Attention! A challenge for Mosin Nagant shooters

I am a sic pup. I shoot and own 5 MNs. But this I must see.

Can anyone show me via YouTube, of 10 consecutive shots from a MN, being loaded from stripper clips, within 1 minute? I don't care if you hit anything.

Start with 5 rds ready to load. At buzzer load 5 rounds and shoot all 5. Reload 5 with stripper clip and fire 5 more rounds...all within 1 NRA High Power minute.

Along with my 5 MNs I also bought thousands of rounds for them. I am committed to shooting MNs. It is just everyone MN without exceptionI I see on the range has major feeding issues as compared to Mausers & Springfields.
Old May 9, 2012, 07:42 AM   #2
kraigwy

I don't know how to make U tube Videos but I am a CMP GSM Master Instructor.

GSM means Garand-Springfield-Military Rifle. The "Military" part is just that, Other Vintage Military Rifles such as 1917 Enflieds, Mauser's, Swedes, Krags' or basically any other vintage military rifle INCLUDING the Mosins.

The CMP started this program to train instructors to put on Clinics to get people shooting these rifles in matches. They put on a instructor course for experienced instructors in shooting these old war horses.

Ok now with that out of the way, a GSM match has rapid fire stages, which consist of shooting 10 rounds in 80 Seconds, but not just to see how fast you can get the rounds off, but to shoot 5 rounds, reload and shoot another 5 shots and "hit the target" at 200 yards.

In these clinics we teach the loading for rapid fire, INCLUDING loading the Mosin. Sure its different, but its doable. Just requires a different technique.

Shoot your pre loaded 5 rounds, drop the butt from your shoulder, (other then that stay in position) take your 5 round clip and drop it into the clip guide slot, take your index finger and pull up on the "bullet" part of the top round as you put your thumb on the body of the case. Pull up on the tip as you push down firmly with your thumb, all five rounds will go into the magazine with out undo effort.

The real trick of shooting bolt actions rapid fire operation of the bolt, not the loading, that only takes a few seconds. The main thing is loading is don't panic, relax, take an extra second or two to do it right.

The ideal is not to take your rifle out of your shoulder while operating the bolt, Keep your position.

This may be hard for Mosin shooters, seems mine is longer (from the bolt to the butt) then my Springfield or Enfield, I do have to drop the stock to work the bolt.

Many people teach bolt manipulation by the numbers........forget that, its ONE number, one smooth operations not 1, 2, 3 but just one.

We've all played as a kid the game where we hold our hands out flat, someone else puts their hands over ours and you have to try and slap their hands before they can move them.

This is the same movement used in operating the bolt of a bolt action rifle.

Start with your hands flat, palm up. As you roll your hands to slap, you catch the bolt knob, flipping it up pulling it back as you continue the roll ejecting the spent case.

As your hand flips and you come down for the "slap" you are pushing the bolt forward and down chambering the next round.

Again this is one smooth motion. This is best learned by dry firing, get into a good prone position, operate the bolt as mentioned above without getting out of position, (preferably without taking the butt of the rifle from your shoulder).

While dry firing keep it slow and smooth. Speed up as long as you can keep it smooth. Speed with follow. It it gets sloppy or ruff, slow down to "smooth" again.

You have plenty of time to work the bolt, and reload a second clip, IF YOU KEEP IT SMOOTH. Spend the time concentrating on your front sight and trigger control.

Last year I put on a GSM Clinic followed by a Match. The guy who won the match had just bought his Mosin and some surplus ammo the night before. His first shots were the sigher's for the match.

He didn't win because the Mosin is a superior weapon compared to the Garand, Springfield or others, he won because he paid attention in the clinic and didn't panic and rush the loading. He spent his time concentrating on the fundamentals.

I'd recommend that if you want to learn to shoot a Mosin or any other vintage military bolt gun, that you attend a CMP GSM Clinic. They are put on through out the country, and listed on the CMP Website. They don't cost much, just a couple dollars to cover the cost, (I charge $5 for mine).

They are taught by CMP GSM Master Instructors.

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/match...gnation=CLINIC

Most clubs have a GSM Match in conjunction with the clinics

http://clubs.odcmp.com/cgi-bin/match...gnation=GARAND
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 9, 2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Husqvarna

what do you mean by Swede kraig? as a Swede I got curious

sorry off topic
Old May 9, 2012, 02:50 PM   #4
firewrench044

To qualify for CMP rifle sales I shot a VZ24 Mauser and
later used a 91/30 Mosin Nagant in two other matches
( while wiating for CMP rifle to arrive )

In all three matches I was able to shoot all rounds required
in the rapid fire stages with no problems
( two ten round stages prone and two ten round stages
seated in each match )

I did not expect to win but was amazed that my scores were
better than a third of the other competitors

It can be done with a Mosin Nagant
Old May 9, 2012, 03:42 PM   #5
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husqvarna View Post
what do you mean by Swede kraig? as a Swede I got curious
Google M96 Swede Mauser.

There's a comma separating Swede and Krag, indicating separate elements within a sentence.

Excellent post, kraigwy!
Old May 10, 2012, 02:21 AM   #6
warningshot

Don't tell....show.

Yes, yes, yes. I hear all about Mosin Nagant shooters from Haties, regularly.

But I don't see any.

I want to see it, that's why I threw out the challenge.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:49 PM   #7
dabluesguy

http://youtu.be/L5cTo4nn_ds
In this video there is no shooting, only loading, but it's very fast.
Old May 11, 2012, 03:22 AM   #8
warningshot

Well I'll be darned!

Those YT videos are very good. Loading MNs from a stripper clip is no sweat. I will be trying it myself soon. Thanks for the clue.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:07 AM   #9
MagnumWill

I'm going up to the mountain in an hour. I accept your challenge I have no formal training, but let's see what I can do. I'll bring my Hex, since the sniper can't do strippers.
Old May 12, 2012, 12:22 AM   #10
warningshot

Oh Boy! I can hardly wait!
Old May 20, 2012, 07:52 PM   #11
MagnumWill

Our shooting area was closed, fire bans across the state

Once I get out, it'll be the first thing I do
Old May 21, 2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Well shucky darn, I was hoping this was gong to be a postal shooting match for Mosin shooters. I don't even have any stripper clips but I have a nice bayonet for my 91/30 and my M38 shot to point of aim right out of the box with LVE 11 (148 gr) ammo. Now I guess I gots to get me a few stripper clips and learn how to use them.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old May 23, 2012, 10:59 PM   #13
warningshot

I can do it now!

No sweat. I will have show yall later when I learn how to post videos. The trick is to get the top most cartridge in the magazine ahead of the cartridges below it. YouTube has some good instuctinals. That is where I learned.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:45 AM   #14
Tikirocker

I can't make a YT vid, but make this comment as a point of interest - I was shooting .22LR competition at my club recently and for fun I took my late 1800's, Martini .22LR single shot. I was up against shooters with modern scoped 5 shot mag rifles where we have 30 second snap shoots, 60 seconds applied etc etc etc. I managed to keep up with the other shooters loading singles and with a sticky extractor and produced pretty good score.

I can load my Lee Enfield from chargers and get 10 off in a minute ... with practice, most people could.
Old May 25, 2012, 12:40 AM   #15
warningshot

cool