The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 29, 2018, 05:07 AM   #1
alleyyooper

20ga Charlies Daily OU BCM made.

Been shooting a lot of clays with this shot gun I bought for my wife. She hasn't been useing it so I decided to give it some work.
I've found I really like the shot gun but alas it has devloped a problem, it will some times not fire the top barrel. Some times it seems to sort of hang fire, then at times it feels like the trigger pull is 100 pounds.

I want to get the stock off to clean the trigger, hammer and safety group to see if that works. I bought the shot gun used so have no Idea how it had been cared for .
Are those nails in the trigger guard going into the stock. Doesn't appear that Any screw driver I have will fit those tiny slots either.

I also so a you tube of a fix for a 12 ga to make it fire both barrels if that might be the problem.

Al
Old October 29, 2018, 06:02 AM   #2
FITASC

Got a pic of these "nails"?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 29, 2018, 06:02 AM   #3
eastbank

take it to a good gunsmith who works on over/under and double barrel shotguns and let him work on it with the right screw drivers.
Old October 29, 2018, 07:41 AM   #4
alleyyooper

Best I can do at this time. Part number 2226B
And what looks like 2228b

Take it to a smith to remove some thing I am not even sure is screws by the diagram. Nope not going to do it.

Al
Old October 29, 2018, 07:46 AM   #5
alleyyooper

This could also be the problem. But a 12 ga not the 20 ga I have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ-KPHH9Ky4

Al
Old October 30, 2018, 07:08 AM   #6
alleyyooper

No Charlies Daily people here?

Is there some place where CD people go?

Al
Old October 30, 2018, 08:43 AM   #7
big al hunter

Quote:
Doesn't appear that Any screw driver I have will fit those tiny slots either.
Buy the correct screwdriver. Nobody puts slots in nails, those are screws. There are gunsmith screwdriver sets that are available with some very small tips.
Old October 30, 2018, 08:56 AM   #8
FITASC

Agreed, those are screws; gunsmith screwdrivers are needed otherwise you'll bugger them up good.
Otherwise, find a good gunsmith (that means NOT a Glock or AR parts changer)
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 30, 2018, 09:18 AM   #9
Don Fischer

Imagine a shotgun put together with nails!
Old October 30, 2018, 09:26 AM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
Is there some place where CD people go?
You might try asking on shotgunworld.com, but they will want pics as well to better help you.
Old October 30, 2018, 09:54 AM   #11
Ricklin

Depends on "which" Charles Daly

The Charles Daly company has changed hands, several times now.

The old Charles Daly company was a distributor/importer of high end European guns, Charles Daly was not ever a manufacturer.

The early guns are typically high end. The current version of the Charles Daly company sells inexpensive guns.

I think they are currently in business. Just don't forget, a lifetime warranty is not your lifetime, it is the lifetime of the company.
Old October 30, 2018, 10:09 AM   #12
FITASC

They are currently in business, importing from Turkey. Nothing like the quality of the Prussian-made guns of yesteryear.
Old October 30, 2018, 02:25 PM   #13
dgludwig

Nor even the ones made in Japan by Miroku-the Japanese-made Charles Daly shotguns exhibited good workmanship and finish.
Old October 30, 2018, 02:44 PM   #14
FITASC

Considering Miroku builds the Citori line for Browning (which is also their line for non0US countries, they have always made a very good O/U