The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 1, 2017, 10:44 PM   #1
Nwilliams184

AR Free Float Help

I want to free float my handguard but I'm new to this, I plan on having it professionally done. What all do I need to purchase? Just the handguard and a low profile gas block? I have a M&P Sport II and was looking to purchase a Midwest Industries handguard.

Thanks
Old September 1, 2017, 11:22 PM   #2
HiBC

I'd suggest talking with a customer service rep at your forend manufacturer,and maybe your gunsmith first.
You can get good and not so good info here.
Old September 1, 2017, 11:28 PM   #3
Nwilliams184

thanks
Old September 2, 2017, 09:55 AM   #4
Metal god

I agree with HiBC in part . What you need depends on what you have and what you're going to get . Some rail systems connect right to a standard barrel nut while others need a proprietary barrel nut and sometimes you buy the rail and that proprietary barrel nut is not included . You see this a lot at gun shows . So talking directly with the manufacture should get you exactly what you need to move forward .

Taking it to a gun smith is likely a good idea . I've installed many and the last one I installed I could not get the barrel nut to index far enough for the rail to line up correctly . It turned out I needed to use my upper receiver lapping tool to remove a small amount of material from the receiver in order to get the barrel nut to index over enough . If I had not had the lapping tool I would have been dead in the water on that build . Well I could have shimmed it but don't like that idea .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; September 2, 2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:37 PM   #5
B-Shot

The s&w sport II front sight/gas block can be a real pain even for a gunsmith at times. By the time you buy the parts and pay the gunsmith, you could probably buy a decent complete upper for a few dollars more. Something to think about.
Old September 2, 2017, 08:53 PM   #6
marine6680

That is true... Uppers are on sale right now for cheap.

But as for what you need, it can vary. Different models of free float tubes have different needs. Usually they include any specific hardware needed though.
Old September 3, 2017, 04:50 PM   #7
jaytothekizzay

Shave down the front site post/ block. Get a ff rail that uses standard barell nut... done. Very easy for anyone to do themself

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk