The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old August 18, 2017, 09:59 AM   #26
TailGator

Quote:
An important thing to remember is that "Charter Arms" revolvers cover a pretty broad range of variations and quality control over many years of production
The same point can be made for Taurus. I have a Taurus model 80 (patterned after a S&W model 10, as I understand) from the 1970s that is still in nice shape. Not the most accurate handgun I own, but not the least so, either..
Old August 18, 2017, 10:55 AM   #27
Model12Win

Had to use Charters CS twice. Both times they were awesome with FAST FAST service.

But keep in mind, I had to use Charters CS twice. The gun was a CA BD-44 and out of box the timing and carry up were awful. They fixed it ASAP but had to send it back soon after as the cylinder release was developing issues.

Taurus has similar problems, lots of bad reports, and their customer service is not as good. Even though I had problems with that BD-44, I'd still buy a Charter before a Taurus, but really I wouldn't buy either, I'd much rather have an old pre-lock S&W or Ruger.
Old August 18, 2017, 11:36 AM   #28
Glenn E. Meyer

Anecdotally - I had a Taurus revolver that locked its cylinder tight and had to go back to the shop. This was in the 90's. I sold it.

I've seen a Charter Arms 38 SPL snubby make it through an intensive snubby course.

YMMV
Old August 18, 2017, 12:36 PM   #29
Carmady

Imo, it really depends on the individual gun. While Brand A may be better than Brand C, a well assembled/executed Brand C will be better than a poorly assembled/executed Brand A.

But...the Brand A will always be a Brand A if resale is a factor.
Old August 18, 2017, 03:41 PM   #30
Obambulate

In my experience, Charter Arms is total junk. Poor quality and poor customer service. I would never buy one again. My wife has a Pink Lady and the cylinder will not close even after sending it back.
Old August 18, 2017, 04:04 PM   #31
dajowi

"Ruger will be nice nice nice on the phone, but they don't fix anything."[/I]

Recently, I contacted Ruger about a chipped grip panel for a newly purchased Blackhawk. Within a couple of days they sent me a new pair grips without a question. Can't do any better than that.

If I had to choose between Taurus or Charter Arms , I'd chose Charter Arms.
Old August 18, 2017, 05:59 PM   #32
Siggy-06

Ruger's customer service has been top notch for me on the 2 occasions I've called.

I wish charter arms would make their front sights replaceable, at least on some models.
Old August 18, 2017, 06:11 PM   #33
mavracer

I've owned about 1/2 dozen of each over the years the Charters have all been serviceable guns, Taurus not so much.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old August 18, 2017, 08:21 PM   #34
osbornk

Quote:
The same point can be made for Taurus. I have a Taurus model 80 (patterned after a S&W model 10, as I understand) from the 1970s that is still in nice shape. Not the most accurate handgun I own, but not the least so, either..
I have a model 84 from the 70s and it is the same as the 80 except it has adjustable sights. It's as tight and solid as it was when it was new. I traded for it with a Hi-Point and it is the reason I have bought 2 new Taurus pistols.
Old August 19, 2017, 12:47 PM   #35
jerryd

CA Revolvers

Have 3 CA revolvers one from Stratford from the 70s had I problem with the grips on the old one took it to the factory about 6 miles from me, replaced the grips and serviced the pistol at the cost of the grips!! Have the Bulldog and Pitbull both have over 1500 rds thru them no problems
Old August 19, 2017, 05:30 PM   #36
1911_Hardball

Sorry, but t this is a bit like asking "Which smells better; dog poop or cat poop?
Old August 19, 2017, 05:36 PM   #37
bricz75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911_Hardball View Post
Sorry, but t this is a bit like asking "Which smells better; dog poop or cat poop?
That's a good one. AFAIK, if a person wants a .44 Special in the size/weight of the CA Bulldog, he needs to choose between CA and Taurus. I know there's the new Ruger .44, but IIRC it's heavy.

Another thing is I haven't been hearing all good things about recent J-frame S&W models.
Old August 19, 2017, 09:03 PM   #38
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryd View Post
Have 3 CA revolvers one from Stratford from the 70s had I problem with the grips on the old one took it to the factory about 6 miles from me, replaced the grips and serviced the pistol at the cost of the grips!! Have the Bulldog and Pitbull both have over 1500 rds thru them no problems
Which Pitbull? 9, .40, or .45?
Old August 21, 2017, 09:50 AM   #39
Dave T

Quote:
Now that's funny, no matter which side (CA vs Taurus) your'e on.

Dave
Old August 21, 2017, 10:20 AM   #40
Carmady

Four out of five dogs surveyed preferred to eat cat poop.
Old August 21, 2017, 02:47 PM   #41
TailGator

Quote:
Four out of five dogs surveyed preferred to eat cat poop.
Veterinarians prefer to refer to that as "pre-owned cat food."
Old August 24, 2017, 03:42 PM   #42
dogngun

Charter Arms revolvers - the current and recent versions - are amazingly solid and accurate. I have a .44 Bulldog and a .38 Off Duty snub. I have owned and carried various Smiths since the 1970's, and the CA .38 snub out shoots any of them.
I carry my CA revolvers nearly every day, keep my Smiths for dress-up.

I have owned Rossi revolvers and liked them a lot, but they are different designs from Taurus which just do not feel right to me.
Old August 24, 2017, 04:18 PM   #43
JoeSixpack

Dog, Rossi existed before Taurus.. Did you ever see the Cyclops?
Cool revolver, Had a rail built into the top.. Never seen on in the shops but a guy on Taurus board had one.

I had a chance to pick up a Rossi 88 once and didn't.. regret it, Was a nice little snub nose, had great lockup, gap, timing.
Me and the dealer was fighting over 5 dollars and I walked away.. oh well
Old August 25, 2017, 07:09 AM   #44
Auto5

It depends on which Taurus. Tauruses (Tauri?) are wildly inconsistent in quality as the company went through various management changes. I had an earlier Mod. 85CH, with the smooth wood grips, that was every bit as reliable as my 642, albeit heavier. I know a retired SWAT officer who carried a Charter off duty. In both cases, I am referencing the older, all steel models. I don't know about current production.
Old August 25, 2017, 10:39 AM   #45
old fart

i had both about 6 years ago as my 6 yr old son was a baby then so its been right at 6years. if i only had the two choices i would choose Charter arms, because i had a mag pug that was damaged from over loaded blazer aluminum 357 ammo, they paid for shipping both ways and i had a brand new gun as the other was unfixable in 2 weeks 3 days. the taurus was a 605 and after about a box of 357's i noticed while cleaning the star was cracked, taurus did pay shipping both ways too but it took 4 and a half months to get my gun back. they kept saying that the part had to be ordered and come from brazil. the 605 was more accurate but not a whole lot, the 605 trigger was slightly better, but the service makes the difference and of those two i choose Charter.
Old August 25, 2017, 06:09 PM   #46
jerryd

Charter Arms

Pitbull 9mm Bulldog 44 sp offduty 38sp
Old August 27, 2017, 08:26 AM   #47
Oldman11

Pit bull .40 and also the .327 charter arms . Back in the day I bought the bull dog .44 special. No problems with charter arms,now I cannot say that about Taurus,the only Taurus that was problem free was a .480,forgot what model. 75 years old does that.
Old September 9, 2017, 12:32 PM   #48
jolly roger

Had a Stainless Undercover Charter 38 that was undoubtedly the most accurate snub I ever shot. But had to have a S&W Model 60...go figure
Old September 17, 2017, 05:22 PM   #49
balin

I have guns from both manufacturers. In .44. The finish and trigger pull may be better on the Charter. Accuracy is equal. The Taurus guns are built a little more heavy duty. But Taurus customer service does not se ed m to be as good, although I have had no deslings with them.
Old September 17, 2017, 06:55 PM   #50
gwpercle

My only Taurus revolver is a model 455 . It is a 5 shot , stainless steel , small framed , fixed sighted revolvcer in 45 acp. The 2 inch barrel is factory ported . It carries a lot of firepower in a small , shootable , package. Think J framed S&W in 45 acp.
I own 4 45 acp semi auto pistols, the Taurus is the most accurate of all ...it's spooky the tiny groups it shoots , I would buy a 3 or 4 inch barreled one with adjustable sights in a heartbeat. Tight tolerances , chambers , throats , barrel gap and bore ....all this adds up to the good accuracy. I have no bad things to say . Owned since 2004 and shot often .

I do not own a Charter arms so can't speak of those.
Gary