The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 24, 2017, 01:16 PM   #1
themalicious0ne

Shot Show 2017 optics

Well it seems more companies are getting into optics geared towards people in regards to putting optics on their msr's, or so they call them. I saw new offerings online for most of these companies. What I am excited about is a whole bunch of optics released by some of the higher end companies in the $1,000- $2,000 range. It seems many companies in addition to all the new PRS type rifles are making mid-range, as far as affordability, scopes and rifles.

A couple scopes I am talking about would be the new Trijicon Accupower 1-8x, US Optics B-10 1.8-10x, and even Vortex new Razor amg uh-1. Do you see a trend in mid-range, mid dollar scopes and how do you think they will do on the market? Obviously there were scopes similar to these before but with a much higher or lower price such as Leupold's 1-8x, nightforce 2.5-10x, Eotech, etc. Most offerings were sub $1000 or over $2000. Or they were sfp didn't have certain features, etc. I think Nightforce originally impacted this market with their 4-16x F1.

I am glad to see these mid level optics as giving more budget minded folks who also want high grade quality available to them. How do you think these will compare with some of the higher end optics in this field? Also are there others I missed?
Old January 25, 2017, 05:01 AM   #2
geetarman

Most of my scopes are Nikon. I have a couple of Leupolds and a steel tube Weaver K10, T16 and K4. When I looked through a Night Force 8-32, I was really impressed and put that on a Remington 700 BDL 22-250. It has been a match made in heaven. I also purchased a Vortex FFP scope for an Annie MPR 64. The ffp changes size as you zoom the power and for 50 yard 22LR target shooting just fits in the target size I use and I have shot the best 5 shot groups of my life with that rifle and scope. The scope is very bright and clear as is the NF. The ffp, for me, makes the scope better for the Annie just as the NF works better on the 22-250. I did put a Leupold VXIII 6-25 (I think ) on a Remington 700P in .308 that works pretty good. The higher end scopes were all around a thousand dollars. The glass is very good on all of them. I was really pleased at how clear and solid the Vortex scope was when I bought it. It does not dissapoint. I have not really looked at or through a really top end scope like US Optics, Schmidt and Bender or others. I am sure they are very good but they are also very expensive and I do not need the additional temptation to start replacing gear.

Carpe Cerveza