The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 11, 2016, 12:05 PM   #1
t45

Help me pick out a good gun belt

I'm in the market for another gun belt. I prefer 1 1/2" black leather. I've narrowed it down to Bigfoot Gun Belts (which I'm leaning towards) and Hanks Gun Belts. Any experience with either or should I expand my search for other manufacturers?
Old December 11, 2016, 12:19 PM   #2
Spats McGee
Staff

I have two gun belts, an Aker B21 and a DeSantis Econobelt (which is technically an "underbelt"). I've had the Aker for ~7 years, and it has served me very well. Same for the DeSantis, but I've only had it ~5 years. That said, I'm probably going to replace the Aker within the year, and I have my eye on the Bigfoot belts, as well.

I have no experience with Hank's. The Beltman (with whom I also have no experience) always seems to come highly recommended. Most of the holster manufacturers (Crossbreed, Aker, DeSantis, Galco, etc.) also make belts. Given that those folks are in the "hang stuff on your belt" business, I'd take a look at them, too.
Old December 11, 2016, 12:30 PM   #3
boondocker385

I have a Banks and a Bigfoot but like my Aker more. ...
Old December 11, 2016, 02:10 PM   #4
dgludwig

Of all places, Wal Mart has a selection of very thick and robustly made belts that are relatively modestly priced. I wore an elk-lined belt made by Safariland for many years before I "out-grew" it.
Old December 11, 2016, 04:02 PM   #5
Gary Gill

Wilderness makes some belts stiff enough to support a holster.
Old December 11, 2016, 05:38 PM   #6
L-2

http://gunbelts.com (BIGFOOT)
https://www.hanksbelts.com (25% off, ends 12/12/16)

I don't have either of these brands you've mentioned, but they look good on the websites.

My main experience with good leather belts is with Galco:
http://www.galcogunleather.com/1-1-2-belts_8_254.html

I had the CB3 and a CSB7 and both worked fine.
I now mainly use nylon belts as in the 511Tactical.com "Double Duty" belts, although I have the 5.11 brand and other brands, basically made the same:
http://www.511tactical.com/double-du...-belt-1-5.html
Old December 11, 2016, 07:42 PM   #7
foxytwo

go with Hanks, I have two of them and have worn them for years, still going strong.
Old December 11, 2016, 08:02 PM   #8
eos

Check out the Wilderness 5 stitch. Infinite number of positions was more important that I realized, the frequent flyer is a nice option too as the Delrin is much quieter than the steel buckle and its still plenty strong for my G19.
Old December 11, 2016, 08:46 PM   #9
sigarms228

I have had a Beltman bullhide leather belt for over two years now and have worn it every day and still looks almost new. I had reservations about spending $80 at first for a belt but it has proved to be worth every penny. I tried the Carhartt Anvil leather belt for a while but it is a limp noodle next to the Beltman.
Old December 11, 2016, 09:16 PM   #10
TunnelRat

I'm a big fan of 1.75" belts. I find they lock the holster better in place and I also like the look of them. I've used a DeSantis plain lined belt for 3 years now. The leather shows no signs of cracking or weakening (still very rigid) and I find the lining on the back helps prevent the belt from rotating. I'm just starting to lose some finish around the belt holes, but you have to look at it closely to see. They offer them in a range of widths too. It's not fancy but it works.

http://www.desantisholster.com/PLAIN-LINED-BELT-1-34
Look around online because you can often find them for $45.
Maintain situational awareness
Old December 11, 2016, 09:20 PM   #11
Ridgerunner665

MidwayUSA has Galco belts on sale right now for $66...

Galco is pretty good stuff, I'm wearing a new Galco SB2 belt, it recently replaced an 11 year old Milt Sparks belt that seems to have shrunk somehow.

Edit:
Nope... Scratch that.... They are no longer on sale.... But they still have them for around $75.

Last edited by Ridgerunner665; December 11, 2016 at 09:25 PM.
Old December 11, 2016, 10:00 PM   #12
OhioGuy

I have a Bigfoot belt in black with the spring steel core. It's a surprisingly classy belt and it absolutely carries the weight of the pistol without flexing. It's nice enough that it can be worn with business attire--it only looks a bit chunky. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Old December 11, 2016, 10:11 PM   #13
ammo.crafter

Stiff gun belt.

Check our Alien Holsters

They make a leather gun belt that has a steel insert that provides great "stiffness" that will support any holster and gun.
Old December 14, 2016, 10:21 PM   #14
Ramey

I'm looking for a nice gun belt for 20 dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 15, 2016, 11:35 AM   #15
Oldjarhead

I ordered a black leather belt from www.thebeltman.net. They make gun belts for ccw. You can order the belt with extra stiffners too. I did. It is a great belt. Holds my all steel Colt 1911 in it's kydex holster fine. No sagging. Stays in place all day. I custom ordered mine, so it did take some time to get it. If you do go with them, make sure you follow their instructions on measuring your current belt size. I did so, and the belt fit perfectly.
Old December 15, 2016, 11:36 AM   #16
dgludwig

QUOTE: I'm looking for a nice gun belt for 20 dollars.

See post no. 4...
Old December 22, 2016, 01:16 PM   #17
E.J.W.

t45,
I have two Bullhide double prong basketweave gun belts. Great product. Holds up well to my Ruger SBH when the holster yet comfortable enough to wear at office.
Just my 2 cents.
Old December 23, 2016, 02:30 PM   #18
Doom99

I have a Kore Essentials Trakline (no holes) gun belt. It's super comfortable and no matter what holster or gun you use, the belt is always adjusted perfectly.
Old December 24, 2016, 01:13 AM   #19
Model12Win

I've a Beltman 1.5" bullhide belt.

Dang near stick out straight if you hold it like a kite string. Mmmm hmmm. REAL stiff, real nice. Would support a damn heavy piece. Incredibly heavy duty. Pricey. Worth it.

Also just recently bought an Alien Gear 1.5" belt. Not near as good. Pretty limp really. Sending it back for a refund, just not worth the price of admission.
Old December 27, 2016, 01:12 AM   #20
bbqncigars

Beltman is da bomb. Stiff enough for the job, and no added hassles at the airport. I still get TSA types freaking over how my belt buckle (my own brass and stainless steel chain mail creation) doesn't trip their detector. Lesson to others: a very small amount of metal configured the wrong way can trip the sensor (a certain pair of shoes with two steel eyelets each will trip it every time), whereas my buckle and an aluminum AAA flashlight combined will not trigger it. Go figure.
Old January 4, 2017, 10:35 AM   #21
Glock1911

I currently am using two belts. One a Beltaman an a Armour belt. Of the two the Armour is holding up the best.