The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 3, 2009, 10:02 PM   #1
pax

Women in Washington state -- save this date!

On March 13, 2010, the Firearms Academy of Seattle will be hosting an amazing holster program for women. Led by the managing editor of Concealed Carry Magazine, Kathy Jackson (that's me...), participants will be able to get their hands on a huge variety of holsters and carry options from many different makers.

• Belt holsters? You bet! We'll talk about range holsters versus concealment holsters. We'll discuss IWB and OWB options. We'll explain how men's bodies are different from women's bodies (Newsflash! The shapes are different...), and how that affects your holster choices. And, of course, we'll get our hands on a whole bunch of different holsters from different companies for side-by-side comparisons. You can try them on for style and comfort, seeing how they work on YOUR body.

• Belts? Oh yes! If you're one of those women who "just can't wear" a belt, come along and discover an exciting secret about gun belts designed especially for women.

• Purses? Yup. We'll have them – and we'll talk about exactly how a purse designed for concealed carry differs from an ordinary purse. We'll discuss which features to look for and how to know which features to avoid. Companies who have already sent purse products for us to compare side-by-side include Galco, Coronado, Gun Tote'n Mamas, Ladies Protection LLC, CC's Designer Concealed Carry from Woolstenhulme, and more!

• Shoulder holsters? Ankle holsters? Bra holsters? Thigh holsters? Belly bands? Yes, yes, yes, and yes! We'll have samples of all these holster types and more! And we'll discuss the nitty-gritty details of each holster type as we get our hands into the works with side-by-side brand comparisons. No punches held, no holds barred: we'll tell you what's good, bad, and ugly about each possibility, and give you the tools you need in order to make smart choices for yourself.

• Fashion tips for the real world: how to integrate your carry handgun and your holster choices into your existing wardrobe with comfort and style.

Women, if you've ever wanted to become a savvy holster shopper, this is your chance. Bring your pens and paper, because you'll want to take notes. And bring your friends: this is going to be a blast!

Details

The Holster Extravaganza is sponsored by the FAS Women's Study Group, and it is open to any woman who wants to attend (not just graduates of FAS). Tell your friends!

Date: March 13, 2010
Time: 10 am – 4 pm
Cost: $20 classroom fee
Bring: lunch and your entire box of holster rejects

WOMEN ONLY.

pax

PS If you are a holstermaker or produce a concealed-carry product, especially if it's designed especially for women, please contact me. I'd sure like to show your products to others at this event.
Old December 3, 2009, 10:23 PM   #2
sakeneko

This sounds interesting! I assume it isn't only for women in the Seattle area? Southwest Airlines still has cheap tickets, after all. ;-)
Old December 3, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3
pax

sakeneko,

Nope, anyone (female) can attend. I'd sure love to meet you! ... but it's sure a long way to travel for a one-day $20 event....

Also, "Seattle" is misleading -- FAS is actually located about halfway between Portland & Seattle, just off the I-5 corridor. It's within easy striking distance from either of those cities.

pax
Old December 3, 2009, 10:42 PM   #4
sakeneko

I might well fly into Portland instead, then. It would be nice (and quite doable) to spend some time with a couple of professors from my undergraduate college (in Portland) all those mumble mumble years ago, *and* do indulge in my greatest passion -- buying books at Powell's City of Books. ;-)

BTW, is FAS perhaps scheduling any classes around then?
Old December 4, 2009, 12:40 PM   #5
ClayInTx

Pax, Pax, Pax;

Young’un, you’re missing out on the chance of a lifetime for some of these ladies by not allowing the men to attend.

Think of all the gun-loving single guys who would love to meet a single gun-totin woman.

Have the single ladies dress up in a snazzy outfit and sashay down a runway with a big-iron strapped on her hip.

You’re charging the ladies twenty bucks? Charge the men fifty, no make it a hundred. Aw, what the heck, make it two hundred. That way the ladies will know that if a guy will spend that much money just to oogle he’ll not take them to McDonalds on the first date.

Admit only CHLs, they’ve had a background check. Have an NRA rep at the door taking mandatory applications to be admitted.

Pax, you need a good promoter, preferably a woman and single.

Grinnin like a mule eatin briars,
Clay
Old December 4, 2009, 02:20 PM   #6
Lee Lapin

Good program, Kathy. A girls' day out, with holsters... neat! Wishing you all much success,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 5, 2009, 11:51 AM   #7
pax

Sakeneko,

The 2010 schedule isn't out yet, but I'm sure there will be something. Watch the website there at www.firearmsacademy.com

Clay,

You just gave a really good illustration of why the menfolks aren't invited to this one!

pax
Old December 5, 2009, 11:55 AM   #8
sakeneko

Thanks, Pax.

And, Clay, remind me to get in touch with you if I want to set up a successful nightclub for second amendment types.
Old December 17, 2009, 01:23 PM   #9
pax

So, to my great amusement, several holsters recently arrived in the mail for me.

Why amusement?

Well, on several forums I frequent, I posted in the classified section a plea for "crappy holsters."

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax
Got a holster lying around that you're too embarrassed to sell and too guilty to throw out? Got a whole box of holsters you're never going to use again?

Send that old or inappropriate holster to me!

I'll give it a good home and put it to work educating new shooters about the good, the bad, and the ugly parts of concealed carry....
And lordy, did people respond! I've got some real trainwrecks here. Still need more, though.

You know, it really does give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling to know that I can find a way to put these old, useless, and sometimes-dangerous holsters to good use helping people be safer.

This is going to be a hoot!

Also, see the .pdf of the holster program announcement here. Anyone in the area who'd like to give me a hand, I'd sure appreciate it if you would print one of these announcements out and stick it on the bulletin board at your gun club, range, or favorite gun store.

pax
Old December 18, 2009, 10:10 AM   #10
CorpITGuy

Gosh, I wish I could afford to fly my wife out. She would love this... and she needs instruction from a woman, too. It isn't the same when I try to help her, no matter how hard I try.

Have you thought about ever doing a webinar or putting out a DVD?
Old December 20, 2009, 11:32 AM   #11
Marty Hayes

I think a DVD would be a great idea here. (I am thinking royalties here).
Old December 20, 2009, 02:25 PM   #12
mddevildog

DVD

Sounds like a very worthwhile event although I cannot make the trip, Ditto on the DVD. I would be interested in seeing what those attending like and dislike along with the reasons why.
RB