The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 2, 2008, 03:48 PM   #1
YounGun24

Standard Choke on 1100 LT-20??

Hey guys,
Not much knowledge on shotguns (just what I've read on Wikipedia and what little my dad taught me). He bought me a Remington 1100 LT-20 back when I was in high school for some dove hunting, and it's stayed at his house since then. About a year ago, it came to live with me becuase I wanted to do some skeet shooting with friends and possibly some duck hunting down the road. I took it out shooting, and while my aim has never been bad with any gun (I was about 6 for 10 clay pigeons), the others were 9/10 and 10/10 with this over/under 20 gauge. One of the dads there grabbed mine, took a look and said I should get a new barrel, one with a vented rib? and an inproved cylinder choke. He claims it will make the targets much eaiser to hit. After he explained that it's easier to aim with the vented rib/rim(?) than just looking down a standard barrel, I find I agree.

My question is what choke does my LT-20 have on it? Does it come out of the box with a fully open choke? A fully closed choke? How do you tell? SHould I get a new barrel?
Old June 2, 2008, 07:24 PM   #2
oneounceload

shotguns are shot differently than rifles - they are pointed, not aimed, (and that's not just semantics), because the targets are dynamic and not static...to that end, don't look down the barrel and focus there - do that premounting to check your gun fit, otherwise, look at your target, focus on the target, point the gun, and keep your swing going and you'll hit targets easily.

I shot a LOT of rifles before I took up shotguns - it took me a lot of missed targets before someone watched me and saw what I was doing....I am by no means a world-class shooter - but I do shoot with some (literally), so pointers have been forthcoming and helped me a lot....

as for chokes - a skeet or IC will do fine for most targets

"head on the stock, eye on the rock"

good shooting!
Old June 2, 2008, 07:58 PM   #3
rantingredneck

Quote:
My question is what choke does my LT-20 have on it? Does it come out of the box with a fully open choke? A fully closed choke? How do you tell? SHould I get a new barrel?
I'm assuming your barrel is a fixed choke barrel.

In that case look on the left side of the barrel 2-4" or so ahead of the receiver and you should see some letters stamped that will tell you what choke it is. It will probably say "Mod" or "Full". I'm assuming it does not say "Imp Cyl" because of what the fellow at the range told you.
Old June 2, 2008, 08:51 PM   #4
YounGun24

Thanks Ranting,
It says full. I assume there's nothing that can be done about it, then?
Old June 2, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
mikenbarb

If your going to be duck hunting with it make sure the barrel and choke tube are steel shot compatible. And you want to use either a modified or improved cylinder choke with steel shot. The barrel for your gun isnt cheap so look around for the best deal. Or they can add a vent rib to your barrel and thread it for choke tubes but it may be more than a new barrel costs. You can post in the forum here for a WTB(wanted to buy) barrel for it and see what happens. Just another option for you to consider. Its under the Buy,Sell accys. and items towards the bottom of the forums page. Just start a new thread with what you want and see what happens. Good luck, Mike
Old June 3, 2008, 08:06 AM   #6
rantingredneck

Here's a new 26" Remchoke one on gunbroker for 209.00

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=101358621

207.84 for a 28" Remchoke one at cheaperthandirt

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/94484-3455-703.html

Then there are some used ones here at barrelexchange.com

http://www.barrelexchange.com/srch_1...&Submit=Search

I don't see any 1100LT 20ga Remchoke ones though. All fixed chokes either Full, Mod, or IC.

Good luck.
Old June 3, 2008, 08:24 AM   #7
mikenbarb

Choke

I forgot to add that if your choke is too tight, Any good gunsmith can open it up for you. And you can look into trying to find a Polychoke system for it. Its an adjustable choke system that gets soldered on the end of your barrel and the barrel can be cut to a shorter length with this if you want. Just make sure its good for steel shot.