The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 17, 2006, 11:53 AM   #1
FrontSight

Hunting small game while Deer Hunting?

Anyone ever take shots at squirrels or other small game while deer hunting? I mean, when the sun comes up, the woods in NY just come alive with squirrels...they are e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e....scores of them!! And the NY limit is 6 a day!

I am soooo very tempted to take a shot at one with either my bow (but arrows are just toooo expensive to waste on a squirrel) or I'm thinking of bringing a bb gun or even a slingshot...

But then my main concern would be over spooking any deer and ruining my chances at a trophy buck or even a doe.

What do you guys think about small game hunting while deer hunting? A big no-no, or go for it, as long as it's with something quiet like a slingshot?
Old October 17, 2006, 12:10 PM   #2
Trapp

I have one arrow just for that. It has a crack down the length of it. So far I have been mere inches away from bagging a squirrel. I tried a opossum too, but missed.

It probably does spook the deer, but heck I have three weeks to bow hunt.
Old October 17, 2006, 12:10 PM   #3
swampdog

I do either/or, rarely both at the same time. If you start popping squirrels, you drastically reduce your chances of seeing deer. Even if the sound of the shot didn't spook the deer, leaving your stand to retrieve a squirrel probably would. If you're still hunting, this wouldn't be as important. I have occasionally taken a squirrel or rabbit while still hunting, but, curiously enough, I didn't manage to get a deer those days.

I don't know if a slingshot would be a legal method around here or not. I'd certainly find out before I tried. Sounds like it might be a good reason to get a .22 revolver.
Old October 17, 2006, 12:20 PM   #4
FrontSight

Swampdog: In NY, for some reason, you can't carry a firearm of any kind while bowhunting. Why, I have no idea, makes no sense to me, except maybe that they are concerned over people using powerful firearms around people who are bowhunting and in camo?

Thanks for the replies so far, guys!
Old October 17, 2006, 12:56 PM   #5
castnblast

It depends on the area. Where I hunt now, I would not. Deer are very weary. Up in the hill country of Tx, I've done it, and not had any issues to my knowledge. Do Turkeys count? I shoot them whenever the opportunity arises. I make great turkey jerky...
Old October 17, 2006, 01:14 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

Quote:
But then my main concern would be over spooking any deer and ruining my chances at a trophy buck or even a doe.
THAT's why I don't do it.

UNLESS the squirrel is chattering at me, giving away my presence, AND it is close enough for me to hit it in the head with my .22 revolver loaded up with very quiet Aguila Super Colibris - about 8 yards or less. In my 9-shot .22 revo, I carry 5 or 6 Super Colibris, and 3 or 4 plain .22 lrs, for finishing shots on large game.

Now a turkey has a lot of good-tasting meat, so I'd definitely take a shot with my main rifle or a .22lr to get one (IF legal / in season) - I'll take my chances with scaring the deer for a half hour or so, for a good turkey.
Old October 17, 2006, 04:05 PM   #7
mfree

Take walnuts with you and run on the expectation that when a deer sees a squirrel perched on something, that something isn't near a hunter

I have no idea, really. Seems a neat pasttime though, feed the tree rats off your stand...

I drank the cool-aid.
Coal Creek Armory
Old October 17, 2006, 04:26 PM   #8
Edward429451

Quote:
UNLESS the squirrel is chattering at me, giving away my presence, AND it is close enough for me to hit it in the head
BTDT, got the skin on the wall.

Usually not cause I'd rather get my deer. I have sometimes, only sure shots or if the little boogers are sounding the alarm.
Old October 17, 2006, 04:34 PM   #9
woodeckt

No I would not so as not to scare a deer. Also reply to earlier post here in Alabama it is illegal to carry any firearm with you during bow season. Too many people have shot deer and then tried to stuff an arrow through it claiming that the broadhead did the damage.

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne
Old October 17, 2006, 04:42 PM   #10
Mannlicher

Nope. When deer hunting, I am deer hunting. I can't imagine the thought process required for a hunter to be willing to spook a deer, just to take a squirrel. I would think that is not a successful hunter in the first place.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 17, 2006, 04:52 PM   #11
Venison_Jerkey32

I've thought about it because sometimes I wonder if they are scaring the deer away.

Last edited by Venison_Jerkey32; October 17, 2006 at 04:59 PM. Reason: first post was in the wrong thread.
Old October 17, 2006, 04:55 PM   #12
FirstFreedom

Only if you're an unethical primitive risk-taker..... .375 HH mag bare minimum for small whitetails.
Old October 17, 2006, 05:01 PM   #13
castnblast

Hell, then you need at least a 270 for the tree rats huh? 22-250 not big enough ... o.k. we're off topic here.
Old October 17, 2006, 05:47 PM   #14
FrontSight

Mannlicher: Not a successful deer hunter? I got 5 last year. 3 with a bow, and two (they were actually travelling together) with a shotgun.

FirstFreedom: I would not take the squirrels with a large rifle, nor a slug...only either with an arrow or pellet gun or slingshot, to be as quiet as possible...as stated in my first post: "I am soooo very tempted to take a shot at one with either my bow (but arrows are just toooo expensive to waste on a squirrel) or I'm thinking of bringing a bb gun or even a slingshot..."
Old October 17, 2006, 05:54 PM   #15
sparkysteve

I do carry one arrow tipped with a judo point in my quiver, just for squirrels. I try not to shoot during prime deer traffic times. I usually wait until just before I head in for lunch. I don't want to scare away a buck that's just out of view by launching an arrow at a squirrel. They are good practice though.

Dont tread on me.
Old October 17, 2006, 06:45 PM   #16
swampdog

It's rifle season here, so I wasn't thinking about it being bow season where you are. We aren't allowed any type of firearm during bow season, either.

I've used the judo heads mentioned for plinking at cans and stuff but I've never hunted with them. They certainly should kill a rabbit or a squirrel, though. I couldn't find a link to one, so here's a picture. It's extremely hard to lose an arrow with one of these heads, but you can do it. At close range, the POI is close enough to my 100gr broadheads.

Good Luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg judohead.jpg (87.7 KB, 387 views)
Old October 17, 2006, 07:48 PM   #17
FirstFreedom

Yeah, I was just joking, Scrap - playing on the previous post - not directed to you at all.
Old October 18, 2006, 01:41 AM   #18
T. O'Heir

"...has a crack down the length of it..." Using that arrow is incredibly dangerous. A cracked arrow can literally explode in your face. Pitch it.
Small game hunting is what one does after the morning deer hunt and before the afternoon deer hunt.
"...three weeks to bow hunt..." Is that the only bow season for deer? Bow season runs from the beginning of October, shuts down for the gun season during the first two weeks of November, then opens again until mid December in Ontario. Used to run until New Year's Eve. The MNR bozo's finally caught on to the excessive deer population and will sell you a second tag in some areas. I suspect they shortened the post-firearm bow season to compensate.
Up here, the insurance companies are paying out millions of dollars for road kill damages. Miles and miles of corn and soy bean fields. I'd almost bet they told the government to expand the hunt because of it. They have a great deal of monetary clout here.
Old October 18, 2006, 07:25 AM   #19
22-rimfire

I don't think insurance companies typically insure farmers crops against damage. They do insure automobiles of course. I thought Canada had a national insurance program on automobiles vs private. So, it would be the government making the decisions about seasons, bag limits, etc.

In states I've hunted, you were not allowed to carry a firearm during bow season. That's why they call it bow season or archery.
Old October 18, 2006, 08:31 AM   #20
FirstFreedom

Sidebar: In my state, bow season for both deer and turkey runs continuously from Oct 1 to Jan 15, overlapping both gun and ML seasons. Although there IS a fall turkey gun season, it is BEFORE deer gun season. So, they passed a new reg that (as of last year), you can carry both a bow and a gun during during gun season, because turkey ARCHERY season is concurrent with deer gun season, even though turkey gun season is over. So the idea being, it's ok to put down your rifle and grab your bow if you see a turkey and shoot it during deer gun season. The reverse is also true. Before deer gun season starts, during turkey gun season, you can carry a bow for deer, and a gun for turkey (although in SOME counties, the gun must be shotgun, but in some counties, the gun can be a rifle). Kinda weird.
Old October 18, 2006, 09:11 AM   #21
biglabsrule

I live in NY but don't bow hunt, the turkey season, along with squirl and rabbit, both are the same time as bow... I know the law says you can't carry a sidearm while bow hunting but cant you go out with just a shotgun and clean out the woods a bit ... this week is muzzleloader in NY(northern teir where i live) and these little red squirls get realy annoying
Old October 18, 2006, 09:20 AM   #22
FrontSight

biglabsrule: no, you can't carry any kind of firearm at all while bowhunting, even a bb gun! I got an e-mail from DEC yesterday when I asked them...
Old October 18, 2006, 10:07 AM   #23
FrontSight

FirstFreedom: OOps, sorry, lol
Old October 25, 2006, 05:25 PM   #24
kjm

I sat in my deer stand last year in the latter part of the season, watching flight upon flight of ducks landing in the slew near my stand. The next morning, I brough both a shotgun and a rifle. I didn't see a single deer past the hours I would expect to, so I took the guns to the edge of the slew and shot my first 6 ducks in my life. I was thrilled about it and I will do the same next year (we had a 2 week overlap in seasons and I just happened to get a duck stamp thinking wth not?).

I also take along a ruger mkI in case I get skunked hunting deer, I can always get a few squirrels and usually do. Considering I get about 35lbs of meat from a dressed whitetail, I can kill that many squirrels in less time than it takes to get a deer on bad days.

This year I'm planning on having the .22, the 12 gage and the 30-06. We have no closed season and no bag limit though, so I am simply multi-tasking.
Old October 29, 2006, 10:30 AM   #25
kwkoch

Quote:
Considering I get about 35lbs of meat from a dressed whitetail, I can kill that many squirrels in less time than it takes to get a deer on bad days
35lbs from a whitetail, was it wearing a diaper? i get about 100lbs from the average doe. and to keep on topic if your deer hunting stick to deer hunting. not only is the noise and movement going to spook deer but your attention is drawn toward the little guys. i have however been in my stand and frustrated that i was seeing dozens of squrriels, so next day left the deer gun at home and went to the same stand and bagged 10 squrriels witht the .22.