The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 7, 2006, 01:31 AM   #1
gredd

Folding Stock doesn't fit Yugo SKS

I recently purchased a Yugoslavian SKS and proceeded to remove the wood stock and replace it with a folding stock (Ram-Line) which I had previously installed on a Chinese SKS. It would seem that the metal plates that hold the stock and hand-grip in place are spaced about 1/8th of an inch farther appart than the Chinese SKS, which means the stock and hand guard piece are just loosly in place - in fact, the hand guard can just slide right off. I am wondering if this is a noted difference between the two guns or if the folding stock is just a poorly designed piece of crap. Actually I know it's a piece of crap, I just wonder if another brand would have the same problem. - thanks
Old March 7, 2006, 03:38 AM   #2
cntryboy1289

bed it and forget it

Changing stocks from one gun to the next will show up little details like this at times. especially if they were made at different factories. I suggest you get some bedding material and use release agent on the gun and any area you don't want the bedding material. Then apply a good amount of the bedding material and attach the stock and clean up the excess. Put the screws or nuts back on and allow it to dry overnight. You be as good as new when it is dried and you will not even notice the gap if you use the dye that matches the stock with the bedding material. Good luck with it.

I bed every stock that comes in my shop just to make sure the stock has a 100% contact with the metal so it isn't an unusual event to have a stock that doesn't fit perfectly when it comes in, but when it leaves, it will for sure.
Old March 7, 2006, 11:42 AM   #3
DWARREN123

Both.
Old March 7, 2006, 07:53 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

BTW, based on your description, you are in the process of committing a felony. It is a violation of USC 922(r) to install a folding stock on a Yugo SKS. You need to look into doing a "parts count" conversion on your SKS prior to installing a folding stock.
Old March 8, 2006, 10:35 PM   #5
gredd

I was not aware that it is a felony to have a folding stock, can you please elaborate? I purchased the folding stock in 93' when I purchased the chinese SKS - was it also a felony to have it on my old SKS, or just the Yugo. Does this mean the 30 shot clip is naughty as well? Thanks for the info.
Old March 11, 2006, 02:46 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Here's how it works. An SKS with a folding stock in not legal for importation. ATF has decided it is not a "sporting firearm" or in the case of the Yugo, not a C&R firearm. The same applies to an SKS with detachable magazines.

USC 922(r) says that you cannot assemble from parts a firearm that is not legal for importation. That means that even though your SKS is now in the country, you cannot put a folding stock on it.

ATF then came up with a way to change your firearm from being "imported" to "Made in the USA".

To do this, ATF has made a list of parts that they consider major components of a firearm. You take the list and determine how many of the listed parts your rifle contains. It might be 13 or 16 or 19. Whatever.

ATF then says that if your rifle doesn't contain 10 or more "imported" parts, it is not considered an imported firearm. If you figured out your rifle had say 16 parts on the list, you replace any 7 parts on the rifle with US manufactured parts and your rifle is now "Made in America". Be sure to keep the receipts and/or other documentation showing you have replaced the parts.

You can now make any modifications to your rifle you desire that are legal for any other US made rifle.

The parts list is:

(1) Frames, receivers, receiver castings, forgings or stampings
(2) Barrels
(3) Barrel extensions
(4) Mounting blocks (trunnions)
(5) Muzzle attachments
(6) Bolts
(7) Bolt carriers
(8) Operating rods
(9) Gas pistons
(10) Trigger housings
(11) Triggers