The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 24, 2015, 07:40 PM   #1
winchester1917

Troy Battle Sight Anyone see a problem with this?

So I got a front HK-style hooded folding battle sight from Troy on sale. Put it on and looked through the sights... Immediately noticed something wasn't right...

I talked to Troy and they sent me a new one.

Still not right...

Here's a graphic accentuating the problem...

I hated to be a pain, but I called them again and told them the new sight had the same problem. The rep I talked to was nice, and he told me he personally put it on the machine and checked it as well as the original sight I had sent back, and that they were both within tolerance, and that the sight posts were directly centered above bore. That may very well be true, but that just means that the hood is off center. Either way, I told him I couldn't use it like that, and requested exchanging it for an M4 style. I was promptly issued a return label, and I'm hoping to see my new M4 style sight soon.

1. Has anyone else seen this with Troy sights?

2. Am I being too picky? Should I (would you) just use it even though it's not centered?

Last edited by winchester1917; December 25, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old December 24, 2015, 08:07 PM   #2
Aikibiker

It is a Troy product. No surprise it is canted to the left.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...oy-industries/

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old December 26, 2015, 11:14 AM   #3
winchester1917

While I can appreciate the anti-Troy sentiment, I'm still wondering if I'm being unreasonable. It seems to me that for a hooded sight to be useful, the post would need to be centered precisely within the hood. According to Troy, at least as much as 1/32" off-center is within tolerance... But to me it's... intolerable.
Old December 26, 2015, 02:06 PM   #4
JimPage

They establish their own tolerances. They can say two inches is within their tolerances. Perhaps they are thinking of how things were for Paris at the battle of Troy. Agamemnon would be rolling in his grave laughing at them.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old December 27, 2015, 08:46 PM   #5
Rob62

I see the problem you are talking about. And I agree the sight post should be centered within the protective wings of the sight - after all that is why they are there.

However that is generally the only reason the wings are there - to protect the sight post itself. So in that context only I don't see the problem as long as the sight post itself is perfectly vertical when the sight is installed on the gun.

If you are trying to use the wings of the front sight in conjunction with the aperture rear sight in some type of a "quick" point, or flash sight picture then you would have a problem as that sight post itself will be quite a bit off.

However as I am pretty sure you know, the top of the sight post is what is used to get a good, even arguable a "flash" sight picture.

Regards,

Rob
Old January 6, 2016, 12:59 PM   #6
winchester1917

I finally received my M4 style sight today... Just shy of 3 weeks after they received the second one I returned...and I live one shipping day away. Well, I'm thankful they replaced it and paid for the shipping both ways, both times.
Although I like the hooded sight, the M4 style will have to suffice. At least it's more centered.
Old January 6, 2016, 09:37 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I'm with Rob62, although that looks sloppy. I've seen plenty of sight wings that were bent/milled off center. That obvious would annoy me though.

Bend them back?

I just bought a set of diamondheads. I hope they aren't off like that.
Old January 7, 2016, 12:03 AM   #8
winchester1917

Yeah. I don't disagree that they should still function.
I did think about trying to bend a wing in or out, but then if it got ruined, I'd be stuck with it.

I guess I just expect more when I send my money to a company that boasts of world-class precision products.