The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Buffalo444

Wheres my ammo??

What the heck. People are freaking out and of all things buying up all the ammo. Am I missing something? Are the proposed bans including ammo limits? I want to pick up a couple boxes of 9mm and its gone. It and everything else except 380 acp, 30-06, 45 acp, 38 spl, and 357 mag.

Explain.

sent from the rust monster
Old December 30, 2012, 09:47 AM   #2
lamarw

It is most likely a secondary effect. New gun sales are skyrocketing, and when people buy new guns they typically buy ammunition for the new gun.

Then people are hoarding ammunition in fear of not being able to obtain ammo as you have described and also in fear the price will go up.

There has been some limited discussion of taxing ammunition as an element of gun control.

Reloading supplies are also taking a hit. Go to the "Powder Valley" web site and notice the out of stock status of small pistol primers and the limited supply of some popular powders. You can get the small one lb. containers but not the more economical 8 lb. containers of powders.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3
Joe_Pike

It's worse than November 2008 where I'm at. Even the little hole-in-the-wall shops are almost out of guns. What I find amazing is the number of big sniper type rifles that get sold during these times. I'll see Barrett 50 BMGs, Savage .338 Lapuas, Armalite 50 BMGs, etc. flying off of the shelves. Not many palces around here to shoot stuff like that, but they buy 'em anyway.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:29 PM   #4
jasmith85

The only handgun ammunition my local Walmart currently has is 357 Sig. They've actually been sold out of a lot of the calibers since the election. They sold out of AR15's a lot later than I would have expected though.
Old December 30, 2012, 06:01 PM   #5
Buffalo444

Its so bad I changed my order through buds guns from the 9mm 1911 I wanted to a rossi 357. I need at least a box of ammo. I really hope the blows over soon.

sent from the rust monster