The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old February 20, 2011, 02:30 AM   #1
k31

butt plate size in corrilation to recoil

i was looking at a butt plate/pad for a k 31 bullpup i am making. i hadnt thought about this point until today and it is going to be finished very soon so this dilemma needs resolved.
i wasnt sure about what to use and was thinking of using a spare plate i had for a winchester 94 pre 64 the steel butt plate. would this be sufficient to keep the recoil from checking the butt of the rifle? and if it is how easy is it to find a synthetic recoil pad, pachmyre, limb saver etc. to fit that thin of a stock?
is the k31 to much gun for that narrow of a butt plate? it is very similar to a .308, while the win 94 is a 30-30. im very new to firearms and am not familiar with the ballistics more than being able to hit a deer at 100yrds with both.
also i am using unlaminated soft maple on this one.
Old February 20, 2011, 07:49 AM   #2
RaySendero

I've shot my K31 and 9,3x62 Mauser both with steel butt plates on them. The K31 is original and still has the steel butt plate - The 9,3 now has a pad!

So...If your K31 is being sporterized/restocked, Why not just put a pad on it?
Old February 20, 2011, 09:18 AM   #3
Rifleman1776

Size does matter. Broad and flat would be most comfortable. But, as asked, why not just an ordinary recoil pad type?
Old February 20, 2011, 12:07 PM   #4
k31

at the moment all i have is the spare plate for the win 94. and am super broke and cant get permission from the wife to buy a butt pad yet
Old February 20, 2011, 03:02 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The butt plate size does not affect the recoil - it affects the perceived recoil, in other words what you feel. Since recoil for a given bullet weight and velocity and weight of rifle is a constant, the size of the buttplate determines how that recoil is distributed. So a wider and somewhat curved buttplace spreads the recoil force over more of the shoulder and the perceived recoil is less.

IMHO, a steel Winchester 94 buttplate on a K31 will kick the heck out of you and could actually injure you.

Jim
Old February 20, 2011, 09:54 PM   #6
k31

that is exactly my thoughts lol i just wanted to know what others thought of the idea. the very wide steel plate on the factory stock hurts enough.
i would use it but am trying to limit the amount of shaping i can do to a min.
with the curled top it would be a hassle to fit it on the new stock
Old February 26, 2011, 01:15 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

A decent recoil pad isn't that expensive. Cut out your favorite vice for a week, and you could probably buy one, or more. I spend a couple bucks a day on coffee/soda/snacks/etc. or other crap I don't really need. Maybe you have something you waste money on, too? Just quit it for a little while, and toss the money you would have spent in a jar, every day for a week. You might be surprised at what you saved.

Then after you got your pad, go back to enjoying life!
Old February 27, 2011, 07:55 AM   #8
madcratebuilder

Swiss Products sells a pad adapter that does not require you to modify the butt stock. Adding a aftermarket pad tames the felt recoil very nicely.

This med Galco fit all my different mil-surps and gets it done.

Old March 9, 2011, 08:02 PM   #9
dmg4

One option is to put the pad on you, not the gun. Recoil shields are generally more effective than a recoil pad, and you only need one for all your guns. The Past field model is good for anything up to a 30.06, lightweight and effective. Inexpensive too: less than $16 online. I use one all the time for military rifle shoots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pastpic350010.jpg (9.5 KB, 13 views)