The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 27, 2011, 05:52 PM   #1
Addicted2Shooting

How do I correctly install Remington 870 Express Magazine Tube Extension?

I have a new Remington 870 Express 12 gauge that I recently purchased a 2 round tube extension for.

There are two detents in the mag tube that need to be removed in order for it to feed correctly.

I have seen various ways of removing the detents, but would like to know the PROPER way of doing it, so to not compromise cosmetics and create future issues with functionality.

I've heard everything from filing the detents down with a file or dremel, using a socket to tap them out, and even completely drilling them out with a bit.

Any info on how to correctly go about this would be greatly appreciated.
Old February 27, 2011, 06:04 PM   #2
zippy13

I don't know if there's an "official correct way" to un-dimple the mag tube. Of the ways you mentioned, which works best for your available tools and abilities? I like the idea of using a greased socket, it might result in not having to touch-up the finish. But, it will depend on your particular socket set having one that is the proper size.

What do the extension tube instructions recommend?
Old February 27, 2011, 06:21 PM   #3
Addicted2Shooting

Thanks for the quick response!

I've got access to all the tools necessary to do any of the methods previously mentioned. I'm just a little concerned with some of the negatives I've heard associated with the various procedures (i.e. possible damages in metal and allowance for dirt and grime to enter the mag tube if drilled or filed, and possibly damaging the other end of the mag tube by hammering a socket down one end)

Unfortunately the mag tube extension directions are quite limited and conveniently indicate that 'some modification' may be required and that the detents may need to be removed.

I'm leaning more towards the socket myself...I just want to be sure before I go screwing something up
Old February 27, 2011, 07:10 PM   #4
dawico

The socket technique may bend the mag tube out of round. My extension said to drill the dimple out, but the bit size they recommended was too small to get it all. That spot gets covered when you put it all together, so the appearance doesn't really matter.
Old February 27, 2011, 09:06 PM   #5
Incognito

Quote:
The socket technique may bend the mag tube out of round.
Because the socket is also round, one would think that it would help maintain the shape of the tube.

I used the socket method on mine. Didn't like the idea of removing any material.

If you go this route, use plenty of lubricant and take it slow. Once the socket is inside the magazine tube and can be removed without much effort (feels as though it's no longer exerting sufficient pressure on the detents), use a wooden dowel & hammer to further smooth out them out while the socket is inside.

Another word of caution is to make sure you set up a device/technique for guaranteeing that the socket does not fall into the magazine tube, and that it's strong enough for you to be able to utilize it for extracting the socket (don't count on a ball detent socket extension; won't work).

Finish it up with some cold blue.
Old February 28, 2011, 02:11 AM   #6
TheKlawMan

This guy seems to know the 870 pretty well and recommends drilling them out. See his How To Video "Intall Remington 2 rd Extension Kit". If you ddamage that tube it can be pretty pricy. Concerning dirt getting in, the factory extension has a hole in the end of it that could let dirt in just as well as holes in the mag tube.

Sorry. Here is a link. http://www.aiptactical.com/How-To_Videos.html

Same thing on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IG5yt-5KlJE

He talks about the risk of using the socket method.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; March 1, 2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old March 1, 2011, 02:03 AM   #7
rudeboy3

The way I did it was took a dremel and grinded them out with the grinder attachment. This worked well and does not effect the outside at all.
Old March 2, 2011, 01:16 AM   #8
pmulls870

with the parkerized finish dremel them out. if it's blued use the socket method. the blued finish will change color with the heat from the dremel.
Old March 2, 2011, 02:01 AM   #9
Incognito

Here's a nice illustrated write-up on the socket method and it's pretty much what mine ended up looking like: link.

As to which method works best, I'd say it's dependant on the capability of the person performing it and of personal preference. Either way the end results are the same, if done properly.
Old March 3, 2011, 02:11 PM   #10
leadcounsel

tagged for later