The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 21, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
BamaBowtie

CC holster for 3rd gen S&W

Does anyone carry a 3rd gen Smith? Lets see your holster. After my range trip tomorrow I will probably be in the market for one.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:33 PM   #2
ClydeFrog

Concealment rigs for S&W 3rd Gen series(5906/4006/3913/6900)..

In general, I would look into the Blackhawk SERPA Safariland SFS or Blade-tech models. Polymer-kydex holsters hold up well to humid, hot climates( southeast US) and are lightweight.
Tampa FL area shop; High Noon Holsters has the good Skin-Tight line. It's ready to ship, man made material and holds up to wear/hard use.

ClydeFrog
Old May 21, 2010, 10:41 PM   #3
dksac2

I'm pretty sure a Cop Shop will have something. You could also call the manufacturers or go to their web sites.
Go with Level 3, not level 2
The level three holsters are just as fast with practice and your life is worth it.

Best regards, John K
Old May 22, 2010, 11:55 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Handgun holster retention levels; I II III, concealed rigs...

I strongly disagree with saying you need a level III type retention holster for CC use. A thumbreak or level II may be useful against loss, snatches, etc but unless you plan to work or be around convicts/prisoners a lot or work in a high threat area, weapon retention isn't as important as a swift, aimed response. A holster like the SFS or Blackhawk SERPA offers both speed and security.
A level III holster is best used for open carry, uniformed positions in high risk areas(courts, jails, LE offices, public/section 8 housing, airports, mental health centers, etc)