The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 7, 2010, 08:20 PM   #1
leadcounsel

Can a Chinese Norinco be shipped to a C&R holder?

http://www.atf.gov/publications/down...-p-5300-11.pdf

It's not specifically on the list, however it seems to meet the definition of a C&R and is the same rifle as the Romanian and Russian rifles listed. Yugo rifles M59 and M59/66 can be shipped... why not a Chinese Nornico?
Old January 7, 2010, 08:51 PM   #2
HankC1

Chinese SKSs are not C&R
Old January 7, 2010, 09:00 PM   #3
leadcounsel

I know the ATF isn't rational, but any rationale from the ATF? It's the same rifle as the other SKSs!!
Old January 7, 2010, 09:51 PM   #4
Chipperman

Because Chinese guns are EEEEEvil!
Old January 8, 2010, 08:21 AM   #5
Gator_Weiss

Clinton got ****** at Norinco and went after them.

Clinton went after norinco. That is why norinco is treated differently.

You can ship a norinco from one dealer to another.

You wont be shipping any norinco inside the USA from China.

You may ship the weapon from one dealer to another WITHIN the boundaries of the USA. But you wont be shipping anything from Norinco in China into the USA.

Is it C&R? From what I understand about Norinco, all of their weapons were "said" to be sporting weapons, that were ALTERED from military parts or military weapons. I could be wrong, but I dont think Norinco was considered to be a company who dealt in pristine antiquated military rifles and pistols. And that may be why we see Norinco items with no C&R status.

One of my SKS rifles is stamped NORINCO. It has a very light weight wood stock of red colored wood in a military style cut with a bayonet chanel for the dirk style bayonet. It has a chrome chamber. It has a chrome bore. It has a milled receiver. It has a standard ten round military type fixed box magazine. It has no bayonet lug. The bayonet lug was very obvisouly ground off of the weapon with some form of rotating arbor grinding tool, owing to the marks on the metal. It was refinished in a deep blue, sort of the color that you find drill bits blued in. It has the sling swivels. It has a sheet metal butt plate cut in the military manner. But from what I understand from a gunshop, IT IS NOT C&R.

I have one of the early imported Jugoslav SKS rifles that was one of the un-issued rifles. It was wrapped in paper and string and had a massive amount of preservative on it. The stock was totally without ding marks or blemishes. The stock was of beech wood, and was fairly heavy. It has a flat bayonet. It has everything on it that the military ordered on the rifle when it was manufactured. It has no chrome bore. It has no chrome chamber. It has a rifle-grenade sight on it. It has glow in the dark "flip up" night-sights. It has the standard 10 round fixed box magazine. It is C&R status from what I was told at the gunshop.
Old January 8, 2010, 10:50 AM   #6
Hardcase

There are two reasons. The first (and least important) is that there's no reliable, cast iron way to tell when the rifle was manufactured. The second is politics. China is our friend when it comes to buying shiny new stuff, but they're bad guys when it comes to guns. I guess we're lucky to have the ones that are already here...