The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 8, 2021, 02:16 PM   #1
kymasabe

Why are most pencil/lightweight/gunner barrels mid-gas?

I'm looking for a pencil or lightweight barrel for my AR, 16 inch, nitrided, and preferably with carbine length gas, but all I can seem to find is mid-length gas.
I was wondering why? Does it have something to do with accuracy or barrel whip and mid is the proven length?
Old December 8, 2021, 03:39 PM   #2
Willie Lowman

Carbine length gas systems on 16 inch barrels tend to be over gassed. Many manufacturers are going to the mid length for less wear and tear.
Old December 8, 2021, 06:13 PM   #3
Polinese

On a 16 there's really not much practical reason to have carbine over mid-length unless you're building a m4 style with the front sight and want that short handguard.
Old December 9, 2021, 10:12 AM   #4
rickyrick

It is said that 16” barrels with carbine gas systems are over gassed. That being said, I’ve assembled a few carbine gassed 16” barrels with no issues. At the time the barrels were a dime a dozen.
I haven’t shopped for a barrel recently, so I don’t know what the predominant combination available is any longer. But if there was a mid length gassed barrel available, I’d probably choose that over a carbine.
Old December 9, 2021, 10:59 AM   #5
stagpanther

I've built dozens of AR's--I've never encountered a barrel of any gas length that was "under-gassed." Almost all have been over-gassed to some degree to allow for functioning with a wide range of loads (and building expertise).
Old December 10, 2021, 07:06 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

My first AR15 I purchased is a govt. profile 16” carbine length barrel. I went this route for added reliability, later on I wished I had gone with a mid length. I did tame it down with a heavier buffer and it’s fine. Since then nothing but mid length for me.