The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2009, 08:45 AM   #1
boy412

favorite powder for .45ACP?

Going to start re-loading soon for my Dan Wesson 1911. What powders are people having success with? I plan on shooting target exclusively. I haven't settled on a bullet either.

Is there a recommended "standard" powder for this caliber? Accuracy is paramount...

Thanks!
Old July 25, 2009, 08:55 AM   #2
rwilson452

I'm partial the W231. As for a bullet, if your Dan Wesson will eat them, a good 200gr LSWC is your best bet. I mold my own and use the Lee TL452-200-SWC
Old July 25, 2009, 09:10 AM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

I also have had great luck with my cast 200 grn swc, but in the non-tumble lube style (single lube groove). I have found hodgdon titegroup to be very accurate and clean burning.... and a little goes a long way.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 25, 2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Sidewinder72

Win. 231 is my go to powder. You will see in most reloading books that 231 is the most accurate powder used.
Old July 25, 2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Rich Keagy

Unique consideration

I started a thread much like your's some weeks ago.
I am new to reloading and wanted a powder that would make it very obvious if I had accidentally doubled the charge.
Consider Unique powder. It's widely available, produced by an ancient reputable company (Alliant, aka Hercules), is not expensive, has lots of associated data published and is used by lots of reloaders.
If anyone hasn't already told you, get scales, calipers and a reloading manual.
My sources tell me you have lots of company as a new reloader. I'm in that company. Glad you're on my squad.
Old July 25, 2009, 09:48 AM   #6
csmsss

Quote:
I'm partial the W231. As for a bullet, if your Dan Wesson will eat them, a good 200gr LSWC is your best bet. I mold my own and use the Lee TL452-200-SWC
Why would you suggest this? I would venture that those handloaders who mold their own bullets are in the minority - particularly when loading for pistols, which may tend to have feeding issues with unplated/unjacketed lead bullets.

To the OP, I like Winchester 231 and Hodgdon Titegroup for powders, with 230 grain pills. I prefer using 230 grain FMJ or plated bullets (I use Berry) in order to produce the same recoil level and point of impact as my defense rounds. I don't like using reduced loads in pistols because they may not function the action reliably.
Old July 25, 2009, 10:17 AM   #7
freakshow10mm

Lots of shooters shoot cast bullets. It significantly reduces your costs and if done right will improve your accuracy. If you properly match the alloy and size to your gun, cleaning is a snap. My G30 I had ran a perfect 235gr TC bullet 850fps and only needed one single squirt of Hoppe's Elite foam cleaner down the barrel with a single pass with a Boresnake to be spotless clean. No fuss no mess.

Cast lead bullets for my loads cost me 3/10ths of a penny per bullet or $3 per thousand bullets.
Old July 25, 2009, 10:51 AM   #8
csmsss

Quote:
Lots of shooters shoot cast bullets. It significantly reduces your costs and if done right will improve your accuracy. If you properly match the alloy and size to your gun, cleaning is a snap. My G30 I had ran a perfect 235gr TC bullet 850fps and only needed one single squirt of Hoppe's Elite foam cleaner down the barrel with a single pass with a Boresnake to be spotless clean. No fuss no mess.

Cast lead bullets for my loads cost me 3/10ths of a penny per bullet or $3 per thousand bullets.
I guess you didn't read the initial post. This is a shooter is brand new to reloading. Are you actually suggesting to someone just learning how to reload that his best course of action is at the same time to learn how to cast bullets? Really?

And...just where is he going to get lead, anyway? The cheap lead you're speaking of generally isn't available any longer unless you already have a source. And, of course, your economic analysis doesn't include any factors for costing one's time - and casting one's own bullets is a most labor and time intensive effort indeed.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:04 AM   #9
freakshow10mm

Quote:
I guess you didn't read the initial post. This is a shooter is brand new to reloading. Are you actually suggesting to someone just learning how to reload that his best course of action is at the same time to learn how to cast bullets? Really?
Casting your own bullets is no more difficult than learning to load your own ammunition. For crying out loud my 10 year old nephew cast his own bullets and loads his own ammo.

Quote:
And...just where is he going to get lead, anyway? The cheap lead you're speaking of generally isn't available any longer unless you already have a source.
Scrap yards, tire shops, xray installation companies, roofing companies, recycling centers, ship yards. Once you start casting and people know you do, they will drop lead off for free. Shall I go on?

Quote:
And, of course, your economic analysis doesn't include any factors for costing one's time
It's a hobby. Do you factor your time while fishing, hunting, riding your motorcycle, going for walks, hiking? Get real.

Quote:
- and casting one's own bullets is a most labor and time intensive effort indeed.
Um, no. Do you even cast your own bullets or are you simply injecting your opinion without experience?

Melt lead. Pour into mold cavity. Wait a few seconds for molten lead to harden. Swing open the plate to cut the sprue, then open the mold and drop your bullets and do it all over again. To size and lube, place them in the sizer, work the handle down like you would a reloading press, lift up and take the bullet out. Wow that was so hard.

With a cheap Lee bottom pour pot and Lee 6 cavity mold a novice can cast 800 bullets an hour and size about the same.

Give me an hour and I can have a guy making perfect cast bullets like crazy.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:20 AM   #10
wrangler yj

At this time I use Bullseye with a 230 gr HP. I tried Unique , but my pistol didn't hold a good group. As you will see everybody uses something different. I shoot a Springfield. It seems different pistols like different powders. Maybe you should pick one powder, work up some loads, try them out. Don't like it try another powder. Part of the enjoyment is finding out what the pistol likes and you have to get out and shoot,to try your loads out.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:22 AM   #11
csmsss

Quote:
Casting your own bullets is no more difficult than learning to load your own ammunition. For crying out loud my 10 year old nephew cast his own bullets and loads his own ammo.
There are many activities which are "no more difficult" to learn than learning to load your own ammunition, but we don't learn them all at the same time, do we? It's ridiculous to intimate, as you are, that casting your own bullets is an essential part of the act of reloading.

Quote:
Scrap yards, tire shops, xray installation companies, roofing companies, recycling centers, ship yards. Once you start casting and people know you do, they will drop lead off for free. Shall I go on?
Perhaps in your area. Not in mine and many, if not most, others. Fact is, everyone who possesses scrap lead in any quantity is aware of its value and is charging full price for it. I find your suggestion that some will drop it off at my place of residence to be comical indeed. It's sure not happening here.

Quote:
It's a hobby. Do you factor your time while fishing, hunting, riding your motorcycle, going for walks, hiking? Get real.
It's a hobby for you. The OP didn't make any suggestion he was interested in casting his own bullets did he? For many folks (including myself), casting bullets is a tedious, boring and pointless endeavor when I can buy bullets quite inexpensively that are better than anything I could cast myself.

Quote:
Um, no. Do you even cast your own bullets or are you simply injecting your opinion without experience?
I have cast my own bullets, and find it to be an entirely valueless effort, considering I cannot make bullets that are in any way superior to bullets I can buy.

Quote:
Melt lead. Pour into mold cavity. Wait a few seconds for molten lead to harden. Swing open the plate to cut the sprue, then open the mold and drop your bullets and do it all over again. To size and lube, place them in the sizer, work the handle down like you would a reloading press, lift up and take the bullet out. Wow that was so hard.
I never said it was hard. You're right - it's a mindless, tedious act of monotony.

Quote:
With a cheap Lee bottom pour pot and Lee 6 cavity mold a novice can cast 800 bullets an hour and size about the same.
And in thirty minutes I can place an order and have thousands of bullets delivered to my door in a few days and spend my time doing something I enjoy.

Listen a second. I'm sorry I've offended your cast bullet idolatry. But it isn't for everyone, and it's wrong to insinuate to a new reloader that it's automatically for him.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:25 AM   #12
rwilson452

If you had read the initial query you would note it was strictly for target use. Thus defense use is not a factor.

You will also note I did give the provision that if that particular pistol would use them. I wasn't suggestion he use the Lee cast bullet I just said that is what I use. Each individual must decide on their own if they wish to start casting. I also have a XD that will not function with SWC bullets I load 230gr RNFP in that for practice as the XD is my carry piece. Yes they are loaded as full power loads that chrono to the same velocity as my carry ammo. where as my 1991A1 uses light loads with a light recoil spring.

Quote:
Why would you suggest this? I would venture that those handloaders who mold their own bullets are in the minority - particularly when loading for pistols, which may tend to have feeding issues with unplated/unjacketed lead bullets.

To the OP, I like Winchester 231 and Hodgdon Titegroup for powders, with 230 grain pills. I prefer using 230 grain FMJ or plated bullets (I use Berry) in order to produce the same recoil level and point of impact as my defense rounds. I don't like using reduced loads in pistols because they may not function the action reliably.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:27 AM   #13
csmsss

And, rwilson, you completely missed in the OP that he is new to reloading and didn't express any interest in casting his own bullets. Why on earth does learning reloading also entail having to learn and spend money on the equipment to cast one's own bullets?
Old July 25, 2009, 11:27 AM   #14
saands

Getting back on topic, you didn't say what kind of powder measure/thrower you have or are planning on getting. I started out with a "Lee (less than) Perfect Powder Measure" ... it was quite inexpensive but had a MISERABLE time metering fine powders like AA#9 and really large flaked powders like 800X ... but it ran like a champ with extruded powders like Vihtavuori N340 and N350. Since you are talking about a common caliber that isn't picky about what powders it accepts, I would figure out which gear you want to start out with and then get a recommendation for which powder will work best with that gear ... and for pistols, don't sweat the cost difference of the different powders ... in a pistol you use so little it doesn't even matter ... now for rifle loads where you might be getting less than 100rds per pound (like 300winmag), that'd be a different story!

Saands

ps ... I am under the impression that 231 is a ball powder that meters wonderfully our of measures like those on Dillon progressive presses, but if it is a fine ball powder it will probably frustrate you to no end if you go with a cheaper powder thrower ...

Last edited by saands; July 25, 2009 at 11:32 AM. Reason: memory lapse ...
Old July 25, 2009, 04:31 PM   #15
boy412

Easy everyone...

The idea of casting my own bullets DOES appeal to me, but that's not something I'm going to get into right away. So can that line of discussion please be suspended? I certainly didn't intend to start an on-line fight!

I read somewhere about 200 gr bullets being "close to what John Moses Browning had in mind" when he designed the 1911. Sounds reasonable to use 200gr bullets to me! Too bad he's not around to ask.

So...given that I want to roll VERY accurate rounds for target shooting, what is the best powder to use? Is there an "old standard" as alluded to in the reloading forum/FAQ's?

Going by the Hodgdon site I'd choose Clay's or TiteGroup. I have learned that not everything on the Web is true (gasp!) so that's why I ask here.
Old July 25, 2009, 04:33 PM   #16
boy412

...oh and I don't plan on going too crazy with a fancy powder measure. Not that I wouldn't like to have one! My press is likely to be a Lee Classic Turret kit, if that has any bearing on powder choices. Based on saands post (thank you for getting this thread back on track) it seems to be VERY relevant! If the Lee Perfect Powder Measure really isn't so hot then I may re-think that press choice.

I should also mention that I will be reloading .30 Carbine and .308 Win...again, accuracy being the most important aspect.

Thanks...
Old July 25, 2009, 05:25 PM   #17
aerod1

Bullseye
U.S. Navy Veteran (USS Midway V-1 Division)
Old July 25, 2009, 05:48 PM   #18
kiwi56

45 ACP

One thing to be aware of with powder measures is that some can be a little inconsistant in quantity of powder thrown. I have a Hornady Pacific brand and as the volume gets lower in the powder tube the charges become less and less. What I now do is use the powder measure to throw a charge 1/2 a grain short and use a powder trickler and scales to top up the charge.
for the 200 grainers I use my load is 6.2 grains of ADI AP70 (Hodgdon Universal) gives good accuracy in mine.
Old July 25, 2009, 07:36 PM   #19
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you stay with Lee, I'd stay away from Accurate Arms for your powder. The problem isn't the powder (AA is really good stuff), it's the powder measure. I'm in agreement with saands on this issue.

My vote is Hodgdon's HP38 (same as Win231). I haven't found any other powder that gives the combination of accuracy, clean burn, soft recoil, reliable cycling of the slide, consistent metering from my powder measure (Hornady), price, relatively low amount needed yet fills the case fairly well, and availability.

Others have suggested TiteGroup. My personal experience and opinion in the matter is this: Being new to reloading, the last thing you need is a variable that could contribute to a catastrophic incident. TiteGroup is the LAST powder I'd recommend. It is a good powder. It meters like a dream. A little does go a long way. BUT, the case filling quality is absolutely horrible. If you happen to unknowingly doublecharge a case, it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb compared to other powders. This safety factor isn't worth saving a dollar per thousand rounds if you ask me. Combining the fact that you're considering a turret press, you're going to have your hands full as it is.

That's just my 2 haypennies worth....

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old July 25, 2009, 07:46 PM   #20
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
I have cast my own bullets, and find it to be an entirely valueless effort, considering I cannot make bullets that are in any way superior to bullets I can buy.
I stated that my home cast 200 grn swc's with titegroup worked great. You can indeed buy 200 grn swc's from just about anywhere that sells reloading supplies. You don't have to make them yourself, but you can buy them. And yes, when it comes to casting, it is not valueless IF yu can find lead at a reasonable price...and my home cast boolits are FAR, FAR, FAR superior to commercial cast bullets, because, as stated above, many variables can be manipulated to fit the boolit to gun (lube, sizing, alloy, etc). Not to hijack the thread...

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old July 25, 2009, 09:07 PM   #21
Blue

45 acp

I like the w231 and 200 gr Gold Dots. Takes care of business.
Old July 25, 2009, 10:22 PM   #22
drail

Winchester Super Target. (previously 452AA.)
Old July 25, 2009, 10:40 PM   #23
FM12

Bullseye, pure & simple.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:39 PM   #24
Jim243

Depends on the powder measure you are using. Win 231 will dispense without problems as to most powder measures. Unique, Blue Dot, Red Dot are flake powders and you need to be more careful that the loads are what you set the measure for. If you use a beam scale and trickle then most pistol powder will work fine. If you use a powder measure, you will need to find out what best works with your equipment and give you a consistant charge for each case.
Old July 26, 2009, 07:51 AM   #25
WESHOOT2

the one and only

W231

Other fine choices for all-around use include AA5, Bullseye, WST, HP38,
and Unique.