The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 23, 2009, 04:00 PM   #1
cargopilot

Just starting - Rockchucker for .40/.223 ?

Hi all,

Looking to get started reloading the rounds in the title. Those are my 2 primary rounds. I may try 30.06 down the road but that's not even on the charts right now.

I have never reloaded pistol/rifle before. I have been loading shotgun for about 25 years now.

My question is this.

Is the Rockchucker adequate to load .40 & .223 or should I step up to at least a turret press?

Right now I cannot envision loading more than about 200 rounds of each per month. That may change down the road.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Old July 23, 2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Hydraulicman

I started with a rock chucker and it works great. It will breeze threw .223 sizing

Heck you could resize a .460 weatherby on that press

and i believe .338 lapua !

Last edited by Hydraulicman; July 24, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
Old July 23, 2009, 04:14 PM   #3
ophidia

I can crank out about 100 rds an hour with mine. Rock Chucker = indestructable.
Old July 23, 2009, 05:07 PM   #4
NWPilgrim

A single stage press like the RockChucker is fine for 200 rds per month. I loaded thousands of rounds, mostly in 100-200 rd batches, and a single stage press. If budget is not a big deal then having a nice single stage press to start and adding a turret or progressive later (if needed) would be a great way to go.

If budget is a concern and you think you would shoot a lot more then a turret is a nice step up. I have the Lee Classic Turret Press. It is cheaper than a RockChucker single stage but easily handles any handgun and most rifle cartridges. I load 9mm - .44 mag and .223 - .30-06.

Most turret presses can be operated as a single stage so you can have that simplicity when you want it. But, if you want to crank out 200-400 rds for the upcoming weekend the turret makes it much easier.

If you get a single stage I would recommend one of them that has the click-in dies and collars so you don't have to re-adjust each die every time. Lee and Hornady make these, not sure about RCBS.

Process for single stage press (handgun, without case lube and sizing):
  • Place cleaned, empty cases in loading block
  • Run a case through decap/sizing and place each in another loading block. Repeat x times
  • Prime at bottom of stroke on the press, or as a batch in a hand primer tool
  • Change out sizing die for expander die and adjust sizing die
  • Run a case through expander die and place in loading block. Repeat x times.
  • Change out expander die for seating die. Adjust seating die.
  • Charge cases as part of expander die if measure is mounted on die, otherwise run cases through charging process as a batch.
  • Run case through seating die with bullet on case mouth, and return to loading block. Repeat x times.
  • Change out seating die for crimp die. Adjust crimp die.
  • Run cartridges through crimp die and return to loading block.

And now the sequence when using a turret press (one cartridge stays on press ram and the turret head rotatetes dies over the ram):
  • Put turret with adjusted dies into press head
  • From box of cleaned cases put one on ram and run through decap/sizing die. Prime at bottom of ram stroke.
  • (Turret head rotation to next die is often automatic with each press arm stroke
  • Run case through expander/powder-through die with powder measure attached
  • Run case through seating die with bullet on case mouth
  • Run cartridge through crimp die
  • Place bullet in labeled ammo box or one quart freezer Ziploc bag
  • Repeat above process x times.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old July 23, 2009, 10:52 PM   #5
Hydraulicman

I love my rockchucker. I don't use loading blocks until i'm charging the cases with powder.

I just move the brass from one box or bucket to the next.

size deprime

bell

prime

charge

seat

They are super strong . It is one of those rare times when you can say "they do make them like they used to"
Old July 23, 2009, 11:28 PM   #6
Winterhawk56

I have had my RockChucker since 1981 and still going strong! I reload anything from my .338 win mag down to the 9MM and everything in between!

Great equipment and never had an issue. I also added an auto primer, case trimer, powder feeder all RCBS.

I started out loading about 200 a month, now I do that many some evenings!

Hope you have fun with it, you can't go wrong!
Old July 23, 2009, 11:37 PM   #7
Sidewinder72

A Rock Chucker press will do everything you described and a lot more. I have two and would not trade off for anyting. You can not go wrong with any RCBS product.(Hint) get a hand primer for installing primers, much faster. Good loading.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:36 AM   #8
Randy 1911

I now load on a Hornady LnL AP and love it. But I started on a Rockchucker and stuck with it for nearly 25 years. It maybe a little slow, but you will never wear it out. And if something does go wrong, RCBS has a "no questions asked" waranty. Welcome to the club. If you have questions we're here for ya.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:08 AM   #9
jepp2

I have 2 Dillon RL550B progressive presses, but my 1960's Rockchucker press still gets LOTS of use.

You can't go wrong by starting with a Rockchucker press!
Old July 24, 2009, 08:31 AM   #10
freakshow10mm

Yes. Get a Rockchucker and learn on that. Then upgrade when you're ready. Always keep the Rockchucker. It's a great press and we use ours at the shop for miscellaneous things like bullet pulling and swaging bullets.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:36 AM   #11
margiesex

2 more cents worth

First one I bought ages ago was the Rock Chucker - then my brother lost it! I've regretted it ever since - so to make up for it, he bought me the RCBS Pro2000 the first year they came out - what a piece of equipment!

However, I miss my Rock Chucker and may very well buy a used one in the future.

You just cannot go wrong.

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both - and soon!
Old July 24, 2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Dannyl

a great press

Hi,
you have a great press there!
after gaining some experience (at least a year of active reloading) you will probably want a progressive press for the pistol rounds, but do not rush into it.

The single stage press is something that you will always use (especially for rifle loads) and the Rockchucker should last you for a lifetime.

Cheers,
Danny
Old July 24, 2009, 10:34 AM   #13
Logjam

The Rock Chucker has been around a long time, and I've always considered it the premier reloading press. However that thing is a beast isn't it! It's big and heavy. I like to resize with it, and then for the other work, like priming and seating I use the old RCBS Jr. press which I have owned for 45 years now.

Lee reloaders work too, but they aren't as steady it seems to me. (btw: I was a huge fan of the old hand held Lee Loaders. Not fancy but easy to crank out 20 rounds without too much fuss.)

I set up the resizer die in the Rock Chucker and the others in the RCBS Jr. and I can reload 200 rounds without breaking a sweat.

By all means, RELOAD! It's fun and yelds cheaper shooting.
Old July 24, 2009, 11:48 AM   #14
miker84

I'm about to start as well. I'll be loading handgun rounds primarily, then some rifle rounds later on. From all the reading I've done and from talking to lots of people who have some experience, I've decided to start with a single stage to learn how all the individual processes work(and more inexpensive to get started). Once I feel comfortable with that, I'll move on to a turret or a progressive. I think the single stage will prevent me from cranking out a bunch of bad loads as I learn and it will be handy for trying out different recipes as I gain more experience. Plus, every reloading bench I've seen has a single stage along side the progressives....gotta be a reason for that.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:03 PM   #15
Hydraulicman

i would not shy away from presses like the lee classic cast turret as your first press. You can use it as a single stage.

I wish i had started with the lee turret. especially if you are going to load pistol rounds.
Old July 24, 2009, 12:44 PM   #16
jaguarxk120

Get the RockChucker press from RCBS one of the best out there. Mine has a date code of 64. It will do anything you ask of it. Will last of several life times. And should you ever have to sell it you'll get a higher price for it.
Buy it you won't go wrong.

On a older press you can find the date code under the screw in bushing at the top of the press.

Last edited by jaguarxk120; July 24, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old July 24, 2009, 05:30 PM   #17
10 Beers

I bought a little reloader special 2 twenty some years ago and have loaded 60 brazillian rounds since then and they all went bang. Never start with a progressive press, wait untill you get good at it. When you pull the handle on a simple O press and it doesn't feel right you know exactly where to look. On those fancy high speed jobs you don't know what the heck happened. The luckiest day of your life is the day a round without powder gets stuck between the cylinder and the barrel and jams the gun. The worst day is when the primer pushes it all the way into the barrel and the next round blows the gun up. The only auto rounds I load are 45ACP because a 1911 is the only auto anybody needs. A powderless 45 will never cycle the slide so you'll know something's wrong.
Old July 24, 2009, 07:14 PM   #18
10 Beers

By the way Pilgrim, you got it all wrong. There was no doorbells, beers, dogs or crazy girlfriends in your pie in the sky reloading story.
Old July 24, 2009, 10:31 PM   #19
wncchester

I can reload any sporting cartridge ever produced on my RC. But, it's vast over-kill in strength and price for those small rounds.

If I was only going to load light stuff like the .40 and .223, or even a .300 mag, I would certainly opt for the Lee Classic Turret. It's a modern steel bodied, "semi-progressive" press in that it has an auto indexing feature, providing a measure of speed when you want it but it can be disabled to allow use as a single stage. It's a very strong press and quite versatile too. And it's not made in China.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:41 AM   #20
Logjam

I'm not sure that the "pie in the sky" comment above, means; but I'll tell you what, as all of you guys know, ammo is getting hard to get. People are hording it, or buying all they can marking it up and re-selling it on EBAY. So it's become a money maker for some.

When I go to my local gun store searching for ammo I find little; no 22's.

I think, therefore that we are going to experience a renaissance in reloading. This is great!

While purists might turn their noses up at it, I started reloading using the little Lee Loader and I used them for years. I still use them to reload odd ball rounds, such as the 7.5 Schmidt Ruben and the 6.5 and 7.7 Jap rounds. I use the 30/30 die to reload for my 30 Remington.

Reloading is great! Just remember to pay attention to what you are doing. You can make a bomb if you screw up.
Old July 25, 2009, 11:58 AM   #21
NWPilgrim

What pie in what sky?

If describing the process for single stage and turret press loading of handgun cartridges is pie in the sky then you ought to check what's in your smoke. Especially if you are loading brazillians.

Now, back to our regular programming ...
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old July 26, 2009, 10:40 AM   #22
cargopilot

Wow! Sounds like I made a good choice.

I appreciate all the responses. I ended up getting the Rock Chucker Supreme kit.

Also picked up the RCBS TrimPro.

Guess a few more accesories yet along with a tumbler and the die sets and I'm good to go. The store I got the press from was out of dies for .40 and .223...imagine that.
Old July 26, 2009, 10:50 AM   #23
rc

depends

I think that it depends on your volume of shooting. The rock chucker kit is probably the best single stage kit available today. I don't like progressive loading of rifle rounds because I like to clean the lube off brass. Carbide pistol dies work well in a progressive machine and will speed up loading by many times. The nice thing about single stage is that it is the safest way to learn reloading because it gives you time to check and double check. On a progressive you will sometimes miss a powder charge or with some machines if not carful you could double charge if you for some reason don't keep your shell plate moving between poweder drops. I have a piggyback progressive onn a rock chucker and a seperate press for single stage loading of rifle rounds. This gives me the most flexibility. rc
Old July 26, 2009, 07:44 PM   #24
Logjam

Usually, when I decide to reload some rifle ammo I'm just interested in replacing one box of shells.

Sure I could break out my powder measure and set it up and weigh the loads and fine tune them. Then resize the cases, after buffing them in my tumbler. Then I put a loaded case in a die and rough set it and then fine tune it when I'm seating my first round. Then I set the cases in a loading block, and get to work. In a hour and a half I'll get 20 rounds.

It's a pain the do all of this to reload 20 rounds. So, I usually break out an old hand held Lee Loader and a plastic mallet. I take a bowl and pour in some powder and snap a rubber band over it. I check my reloading records to find the proper scoop from my Lee powder scoops.

Then I sit down and have 20 rounds loaded in about 20 minutes.

If I'm loading 150 pistol rounds then I use a press, but for just a few the old Lee Loader works just fine.
Old July 29, 2009, 09:30 AM   #25
dodge

On my RC I can load 20 rounds in about 25 minutes but again I have everything set up and all I have to do is set my powder measure to throw the weight of powder that I want. I do most of my reloading during the winter or if it's raining when I don't want to go outside due to the weather. I started of a RCBS Junior and then upgraded to the Rockchucker which I've had for 30 years.