The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 23, 2004, 05:44 PM   #1
five0nda9s

Walther PP Information Please!

Hi, I am new to the forum and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with Markings found on Walther Handguns

I own a Walther PP .32 Cal. pistol and I need to know when it was made and how much it is worth, etc.

The following is a list of the markings on the gun:
- Interarms, Alex VA on left side of frame above trigger guard
- Made in W. Germany on left side of slide above Interarms logo
- Nds logo inside of a square on left side of frame in between trigger and grip as well as on right side of slide in front of ejection opening
- Eagle with an "N" underneath on silver chamber piece visible through opening in slide "Newer Eagle Design"
- An antler logo with the letters "HH" in front of it to the left of the eagle still on chamber piece
- The serial number is 456506 which is very confusing because everyone i have talked to has told me that the PP models started at number 750000 and when they passed number 1 million, they all had the letter P after the Serial Number. My gun does not have a P after Serial Number

I appreciate any information anyone might be able to supply me with. Thank you, and i am looking forward to your posts.
Old November 24, 2004, 09:21 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Can't tell much as I don't have access to my books right now but Interarms is/was the importer.
When you say chamber piece, do you mean the bolt?
Those markings sound like proof markings.
Can't help w/ value. You might check on GunsAmerica or GunBroker to see what prices are.
Old November 24, 2004, 04:48 PM   #3
five0nda9s

Thanks for replying,

By chamber piece I mean the part of the barrel that shows through the ejection hole in the slide
Old November 25, 2004, 08:26 AM   #4
fal308
Staff Alumnus

As per an older edition of The Standard Directory of Proof Marks the eagle over N is the standard proof mark (after June 1971, a stylized eagle is used instead of a more stick-like drawing).
If the antler is the left half of a set of antlers then that is the mark of the Ulm proof house, where the gun was proofed. The letters (or numbers) next to it are a date code, though there should be three letters (or numbers). The letter (number) is the month and the last two are the year. Thus, for example 668 would be June 1968. Using the letters "A" to "K" would sometimes be substituted for 0 to 9.
I can't find anything on NDS inside a square.
Old November 25, 2004, 07:36 PM   #5
five0nda9s

Thanks

I'm gonna take it to a gun shop when i get some spare time, just to see if anyone can tell me anymore.
Old December 11, 2004, 02:16 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can tell you a bit more. The serial number list you are looking at is for the pre-WWII and wartime guns, while your PP is postwar. The slide should be marked Ulm/Donau (Ulm on the Danube) not Zella-Mehlis, Thuringia, the old Walther location.

The proof marking info you already have, thanks to FAL308.

The NDS stands for the German state of Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) and is a Landespolizei or State Police marking.

Interarms (International Armament Corporation - now out of business), in Alexandria, Virginia, was founded by the legendary Sam Cummings and was a major arms importer for many years. In addition to importing military and police surplus arms, they were the U.S. agent for Walther products. Those particular pistols were police trade-ins, refurbished by Walther and sold here through Interarms.

"Made in W. Germany" is the required country of origin marking for all foreign goods imported into the U.S. West Germany, of course, no longer exists now that Germany has been re-united.

HTH

Jim