The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2009, 03:40 PM   #1
NorCal Hal

Can I use Rem, CCI or Fed primers vs Winchester?

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I did a search and couldn't find anything.

I'm loading 30-06 and 7 mm Rem Mag and the IMR tables I have show using Winchester Long Rifle primers with the 4350 and 4064 powders.

My question - Can I use CCI, Federal or Remington primers intead, can't find Winchester, and which of the three would be closest to the Winchester?

I use CCI for shotgun and have couple of bricks of CCI # 200 on backlog at Midsouth Shooters Supply.

Will I be able to use the same MAXIMUM powder data for the other primers?

Last edited by NorCal Hal; December 20, 2009 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Add
Old December 20, 2009, 04:40 PM   #2
Shoney

The various load books should be used as a guide to achieve your best load. Because there are so many variables from the weapon they used to yours and their loacation.

The short answere is when you substitue any componenet to your recipe, you must back down the load and work up again. Yes! Primers can make a big difference. If you start at the min poad and work up, watching for pressure signs, you will be in good shape.

The long answer:
Combinations of factors can cause great variances in velocity and pressure. Here are a few factors:

Primer: strength, brisance - is a measure of the rapidity with which an explosive develops its maximum pressure
Barrel: length; tightness of bore; height of the lands; distance of bullet to lands; temperature of barrel;
Lock Strength: the force which is applied to the primer by various strength firing mechanisms;
Bullet: bearing surface of bullet, alloy of bullet; shape of bullet; distance off rifling;
Brass: new/used elasticity; manufacturer, volume; crimp;
Powder: new, aged, old, batch powder was from;
Weather: ambient air temp., barometric pressure, humidity
Elevation: above sea level
Other: I am sure I have not listed all
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old December 20, 2009, 05:20 PM   #3
NorCal Hal

OK, Thanks. I guess that is the answer I expected. I have started low and worked up to what I feel is a good load using the last of my Winchester primers and was hoping I didn't have to go through all that again if I changed to another brand of primers!

I was hoping the answer would come back that Winchester primers and XXX are virtually the same and can be used interchangably.

Last edited by NorCal Hal; December 20, 2009 at 05:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old December 20, 2009, 05:42 PM   #4
Shoney

Generally, I back down 2 grains and go up in 0.5 gr increment. after seeing which is the best load, I go up anddown in 0.2 or 0.3 grain increments to see if the groups get better or sorse.

Good Shooting!
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111