The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 10, 2013, 11:01 AM   #1
CSHammond

Beretta 92FS/M9 VS. ???? other gun

A friend of mine has been shooting pistols for quite a while, but has recently lost possession of his home defense gun and is looking for a new one. He has pretty much set his sights on a Beretta 92.

He is very proficient with it and just loves it, but is finding it hard to find one under $600. He is a full time student, works part time and has a new baby so he doesn't have a lot of extra spending cash.

My question is what other pistol does anyone have in mind that he might give a try at finding, possibly cheaper, that would give similar fit, feel and accuracy as the Beretta 92?
Old February 10, 2013, 11:21 AM   #2
KMAX

Taurus PT92. I know a lot of people bad mouth Taurus, but I had one of these and had very good luck with it. It is a copy of the Beretta 92, but less expensive. I think it is the best of Taurus' line up myself. I traded mine off because I was foolish enough to listen to other people and seriously regret it. I may buy another someday. A friend just bought one recently at Academy Sports on sale for $329. Last week they were on sale for $379. I think well worth it.

I'm not old. I'm CLASSIC!
Old February 10, 2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Contrast Man

Have him check out a CZ-75B. It's in the same ballpark as far as size and weight go and can be found for under $500, provided it can be found. The controls are a little different as well as the ergos, but its an amazing gun and worth looking into. Most ranges by me that rent will have one available.
Old February 10, 2013, 01:29 PM   #4
Martowski

Taurus is the clear choice here if he wants to replicate the 92fs feel without the cost. I have a CZ-75b as well and, while it's a solid pistol, it's definitely a lot different than the 92fs.

Check Gunbroker as well; I found an awesome "like new" condition police 92FS w/ night sights and 3 high cap mags last year for $425.
Old February 10, 2013, 01:45 PM   #5
DATL

Has anything changed lately with Taurus's QC though? The only Taurus I have first hand experience with is a .38 revolver I got a family member years ago- and have had no problems with it.

But at literally (3) different gunshops I go to in GA (that move a considerable amount off guns) said very bad things about the recent (~1-2 year) quality of Taurus handguns. When I asked one guy if he was serious he pulled out a Taurus revolver that wouldn't fire and the wheel spun freely and wouldn't stay in. I dunno. Like I said- the only Taurus I have has been fine- but it's at least 8 years old.

If I couldn't shuck out the dough for another 92fs I would consider a Glock or something especially if it was my only (1). No oil, no clean, no problem. I love all my handguns but sort of feel my Glock is my old faithful. The gun I have that reminds me most of my Beretta in the way it feels and shoots is my Hi Power (clone). Personally...
Old February 10, 2013, 01:49 PM   #6
iraiam

+1 on the Taurus PT92. I own both the Beretta and Taurus. The PT92 is every bit as reliable and accurate as the Beretta 92 / M9.

I saw a Brand new one in a LGS 2 weeks ago for $399.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; February 10, 2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:03 PM   #7
CSHammond

DATL, I have sent him some links on the hi power clones and am considering getting one myself for a while now. Anywhere from $169 to $275 depending on the grade not a bad deal at all.

IRAIAM, we had talked about the Taurus copy, but he isn't sold on that idea yet. I personally have 2 Taurus autos, .380 and .45 and have zero problems with them.
Old February 10, 2013, 02:12 PM   #8
JHansenAK47

Quote:
My question is what other pistol does anyone have in mind that he might give a try at finding, possibly cheaper, that would give similar fit, feel and accuracy as the Beretta 92?
You might want to widen the search to include a used beretta cougar or possibly the Stoeger cougar. I have a beretta Cougar and it feels just like a beretta 92 with the grips, safety and trigger but with a shorter barrel that is more compact.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:00 PM   #9
erhodes

Look on gunbroker. I just checked and there were more than 10 Beretta 92fs for sale and they were currently at $400 - $450. A few were ending in the next few hours at that price as well.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:16 PM   #10
CSHammond

I try and stay away from gunbroker, I usually only go there to see what the going high prices of something is. I don't consider it a good buyers site unless price is no real limit for someone. The lowest priced FS was at $550, which is not far off the gun show prices off $599 last weekend. Not to offend you, but I can find deals on the 92FS. What I am looking for are peoples ideas on options other than the 92FS.
Old February 10, 2013, 03:18 PM   #11
fast20

i have a stoeger 8000 9m (which is basically a beretta) good price and a heck of a gun for the price... it shoots as good or better than my m9....
Old February 10, 2013, 05:15 PM   #12
ShootingNut

Maybe a Beretta PX4 9mm would fit the bill.
Good quality firearm. I like the full size and the compact series.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...F+9mm+17+round
Old February 10, 2013, 05:41 PM   #13
9mm

Quote:
Taurus PT92. I know a lot of people bad mouth Taurus, but I had one of these and had very good luck with it. It is a copy of the Beretta 92, but less expensive. I think it is the best of Taurus' line up myself. I traded mine off because I was foolish enough to listen to other people and seriously regret it. I may buy another someday. A friend just bought one recently at Academy Sports on sale for $329. Last week they were on sale for $379. I think well worth it.
For $330 I would just buy it for a fun gun of a clone of a 92fs.
Old February 10, 2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Pilot

Try to find a used 92FS, or a police trade in, used 92FS. There are many out there, as law enforcement traded them all in for .40 Glocks, and M&P's. The nice thing about the 92 is that parts and springs are easily replaceable, and you can pretty much bring a pistol up to snuff it it needs it yourself.

The CZ line is also fantastic. A basic 75B can still be had new for under $500, and is a great all around pistol.

Both the Beretta and CZ will serve your friend well.
Old February 10, 2013, 08:56 PM   #15
fast20

when the taurus first came out with their 92, it was made with beretta machinery... they have made changes to the gun over the years... so not sure if they still use beretta stuff... had one years ago... but traded...

info
http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...adcrumbseries=
Old February 10, 2013, 10:12 PM   #16
EIGHTYDUECE

Just have him look for a nice used 92FS or M9. They can be had for $400 in excellent condition.

"Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart"- ASH
Old February 10, 2013, 10:56 PM   #17
DATL

Yeah, you can get a Hi Power clone CHEAP. BUT I would only do that if you/he can't find a used 92 in his price point.

This is due to the fact that if you have your eyes on a 92 (like anything), nothing else will do. The con's as I see it are that a Hi Power clone, or Glock, etc... really aren't going to have the prestige of Beretta (Don't mean to offend anyone). AND the Hi Power doesn't have a de-cocker. That can be pain in the arse for some. But it's cheap enough that you could get one and a butt load of 9mm ammo. Plus mine has never FTL, FTF, or FTE. That's more than I can say of some $1,500+ safe queens lol.
Old February 10, 2013, 11:22 PM   #18
jimbob24

Coming from a huge Beretta fan, if you want the M9, get the Beretta. Taurus version doesn't own up in my opinion. There isn't too much in the less expensive area that will feel like an M9 unless you grab the Taurus. Consider a used 1911?
Old February 11, 2013, 05:02 AM   #19
Chesster

There should be a lot of B92fs out there as police trade ins.
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!
Old February 11, 2013, 12:26 PM   #20
TxFlyFish

Get the Taurus it's one of the models that pretty reliable plus you get the frame mounted safety...might not be as well finished but IMHO just as reliable
Old February 11, 2013, 02:59 PM   #21
Inazone

I bought a used PT92 so my wife could have something similar to the M9 she uses in the Army Reserves, as she doesn't get any practice opportunities on drill weekends prior to qualification. She took to the Taurus immediately and enjoyed shooting it. She's deployed now, so I'm the only one shooting it, but it has several hundred rounds through it (roughly 400 by previous owner, and close to that since then) with no problems at all.

Would I buy a Beretta if the price was right? Sure, but I have zero regrets with the Taurus and would just as likely buy another.
Old February 11, 2013, 04:22 PM   #22
LockedBreech

I'd buy a Beretta used - even very well used - over the Taurus.

It is basically same design on paper. It is not produced by a company with the same eye for quality control.

The gold accents on some (all?) of them are also unbearably gaudy.

My opinion only.
Old February 12, 2013, 12:11 PM   #23
10mm4ever

The most reliable pistol ever made by Taurus, is a Beretta design. The Beretta and Taurus are close enough in price these days, that the Beretta makes more sense any way you look at it. Better quality, chrome lined barrel, better trigger, parts availibity, cheaper and more plentiful mags.
Old February 12, 2013, 03:22 PM   #24
Bart Noir

The Taurus PT92 is a development of an older Beretta 92, from the days before the safety lever moved up onto the slide.

The current Taurus still has the safety on the frame, and I believe it now will move down to decock the pistol. Am I right about the decocking function?

If so, I actually like the Taurus design better than the Beretta, although I'll not be getting rid of my Berettas for the Taurus.

I don't think you can use Beretta magazines in the Taurus, but once again am not sure.

I second the suggestion of the Stoeger Cougar. The trigger & safety are pretty much right out of the Model 92F. The price is low and the quality is high enough that I voted with my dollars. That means I bought one

Bart Noir
Who thinks the 92 Compact a great pistol, being smaller yet a fine shooter.
Old February 12, 2013, 04:18 PM   #25
Chesster

beretta and taurus mag don't interchange on the 92
Vote 'Pro-Choice' on 2nd Amendment issues!!!