The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 3, 2013, 08:50 PM   #26
Battler

Quote:
"It is all but impossible for one to count the shots fired under the stress induced by a defense situation and/or attack."
I can't argue that emphatically about this, just throwing another into the realm of possibility. It would be easier to drop a mag with "some" left in it, and also the "mass shooter" may be (in his twisted mind) in one of the lower-stress gun situations there is - premeditated with static targets.

The shotgun with its "shoot once-or-twice", "load one-or-two" sequence may also be effective in this situation were psychos to make more use of it.

All else being equal, of course a reduction in the mag capacity of a gun will reduce its operational utility for a wide set of uses. We're now seeing how this is a very useful attack vector for incremental gun bans - in some states now the "10" is becoming 7, next stop 5?

One of the tools in this wave of gun control (on both sides) is misdirection, trying to make the other side not care, or focus on something else. I threw in one more for that list; but I acknowledge it's a marginal contribution to what is probably a marginal list.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:39 PM   #27
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I have read on multiple sources that the Sandy Hook shooter, while he had a large number of 30-round magazines, did not shoot any of them to empty. Reportedly, he shot about 15 rounds from each magazine.

Speculation (which I believe was attributed to the CT State Police) was that he was so accustomed to playing video games in which it's good strategy to do "hot" reloads when transitioning from one room or space to another that he more or less defaulted to doing the same thing in real life.

Okay, so 15 is more than 10 ... but it's half of 30, and it makes the fact that he was carrying 30-round magazines IRRELEVANT. If he could kill 26 people with mag swaps every fifteen rounds, how many lives could realistically have been saved if he had to swap every ten rounds? Probably ... none.
Old February 3, 2013, 09:53 PM   #28
teamsteads

This is the argument i like to use. You have unknown number of perps trying to gain entry into your home. Your choice, a baseball bat, pistol your choice, AR-15 with 30 rnd. mag. You fail you and your family die. Now choose!
Old February 3, 2013, 11:38 PM   #29
wyobohunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamsteads View Post
This is the argument i like to use. You have unknown number of perps trying to gain entry into your home. Your choice, a baseball bat, pistol your choice, AR-15 with 30 rnd. mag. You fail you and your family die. Now choose!
I don't think that argument would work on the people we are up against. Most would probably counter "Well me oh my, I'd just try to reason with the fellows. I mean, they must've had it tough growing up & all."

Me, AR w/30 rd mag would be my choice but it isn't immediately accessible like the pistol is.