The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old March 7, 2010, 04:46 PM   #1
seinfeld

best handgun value

I'm looking for a piece to accompany me on road trips; maybe you guys can help. What's the best value out there right now?

Criteria:
1. Cheap
2. Reliable
3. Can be made pretty with a little elbow grease

I'm enticed by the police trade-in Sigs and S&W revolvers around that meet this spec for around $350, but I'd prefer higher capacity. So what's the best deal around right now?
Old March 7, 2010, 05:06 PM   #2
Cheapshooter

I will probably get a lot of detractors about this, but in your parameters, I would suggest looking at the surplus CZ82. 12+1 capacity, and IMO well made. I don't know what the dealers are getting for them, but the distributor price advertised is around $200.
Some of the criticism is going to be the caliber. 9X18 Makarov. More power than a 380, less than the common 9 M/M Luger round, and somewhat harder to find.
Hornady offers a defense round with a 95 gr XTP hollow point at 1000 fps.

That being said, the Police trade in Sig P6/P225 is a fine choice. In reality, for personal defense, it is extremely doubtful you would need more than 9 rounds.
Old March 7, 2010, 05:22 PM   #3
oneounceload

J&G Sales has S&W 38 turn-ins for around 250 or so - the kind that got carried a lot and shot a little, blue and stainless.........load it up with 38+P...good to go
Old March 7, 2010, 05:24 PM   #4
PointOneSeven

I've never considered police trade ins the value people make them out to be. They've got a lot of range time and holster wear. Which would be fine, only the price doesn't really reflect that.

It's like buying a 4 year old car from a hardcore commuter or government agency. Yes the car's 4 years old, but it already has 150,000 miles on it.

If you don't shoot much it'll be ok.
Old March 7, 2010, 05:57 PM   #5
L_Killkenny

You didn't define "cheap" but within your parameters you'd be well served to get a Ruger Speed/Security/Service Six. Preferably in stainless. Even if it has lots of wear a new set of grips and some elbow grease can have it looking better than new. They are super solid to boot. Prices vary but good examples can still be had for $300(+/-). For a combination of price, looks and reliability they are tops.

LK

Last edited by L_Killkenny; March 7, 2010 at 06:06 PM.
Old March 7, 2010, 06:03 PM   #6
N.H. Yankee

You prefer higher capacity, most likely a Ruger P series can be found in your price range.
Old March 7, 2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
You prefer higher capacity, most likely a Ruger P series can be found in your price range.
+1. You might have trouble making a Ruger P series pretty, but they are reliable and cheap enough. Plus, they are a Ruger and Ruger stands behind their products.
Old March 7, 2010, 06:35 PM   #8
shepherddogs

I would have to disagree with Pointoneseven regarding used police revolvers. The majority of police weapons in general are only fired when absolutely neccessary. 2 boxes of shells every so often to qualify. The average patrol cop couldn't care less to practice with their weapon. All the police trades I've owned worked like new after a good cleaning.
Old March 7, 2010, 06:53 PM   #9
Doyle

I think the absolute best "value gun" out there is the FEG PA-63. If you shop around you can one in almost unused shape for less than $200. They are dependable and very easy to clean. If you want to dress them up, there are some grip makers that make very good looking heardwood grips.
Old March 7, 2010, 07:00 PM   #10
Shotgun Don

I would buy a used Glock...cant go wrong imo. You can pick 1 up 4 around $350 used
Old March 7, 2010, 07:42 PM   #11
BigJimP

I think you already defined it - a "CPO" Sig or a good S&W revolver ( like a 4" model 66 in .357 mag ) are both great options ...

I think Sig is one of the better weapons in the DA/SA range of guns ....and a solid long term weapon / but so is a good S&W revolver ....

High capacity is only a factor if you "spray and pray" --and putting effective fire on a tactical target sure doesn't take more than 3 or 4 rounds ...and you can reload anything ...

I don't feel undergunned - if I carry a 1911 with an 8 round mag ...or a revolver with 6 rounds in it. I can easily reload a 1911 in under 2 sec / and I'm not good at it / but reloading a revolver is pretty easily done in under 4 sec with a little practice ...
Old March 7, 2010, 07:47 PM   #12
Shotgun Don

FBI specs every yr state that most fatal gun battles in the US are 5-7 FT and usually 3-5 shots total
Old March 7, 2010, 08:15 PM   #13
oneounceload

Quote:
I've never considered police trade ins the value people make them out to be. They've got a lot of range time and holster wear. Which would be fine, only the price doesn't really reflect that.
police trade-in is one thing....security guards from a bank or armored car have almost zero range time with a lot of holster wear
Old March 8, 2010, 08:03 AM   #14
Skans

Get a Smith and Wesson 659. Very solid. Very reliable. Well made, relatively cheap. And, with a little elbow grease you can make them look great!. Do a search - there's a picture of one where the owner polished the sides on the slide - really nice job. In fact, I'm thinking of doing that to mine.
Old March 8, 2010, 08:48 AM   #15
Daryl

"Cheap" and "Best value" are terms highly dependent on one's perspective and needs.

Figure out what it is you want, and if it's too expensive, look for a good used gun.

Police and security trade-ins are usually decent deals. Lots of used guns on the market that haven't been shot much, and they can usually be had at reasonable prices.

Look around a bit, 'cause what's best for me likely isn't going to be the best for you.

Daryl
Old March 8, 2010, 09:04 AM   #16
EdInk

Cheap, reliable AND pretty. Best bet is a trade-in revolver.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:35 AM   #17
carguychris

Quote:
I've never considered police trade ins the value people make them out to be. They've got a lot of range time and holster wear.
Most of the CZ-82s I've inspected have lots of the latter but appear to have very little of the former. I don't think the Czech police got much range time. This gun is also my vote if the OP wants an autoloader.

If the OP can live with a bit less capacity, another possibility is a Bulgarian Makarov. They have only recently reappeared on the market and will probably disappear pretty quick. They offer less capacity than the CZ-82, you can't carry them cocked-and-locked, they don't have a positive firing pin return spring (although some experts argue this is not a problem), and you can't clear the pistol with the safety on. However, on the plus side, they're fantastic for CCW, they're possibly the simplest and easiest-to-strip DA/SA pistol design in history, and one of the most durable.
Quote:
police trade-in is one thing....security guards from a bank or armored car have almost zero range time with a lot of holster wear
+1, and the same goes for state prison agencies.
Old March 8, 2010, 09:44 AM   #18
crazy charlie

There's a rebate offer on S&W Sigmas and M&P's. Check their site.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:49 AM   #19
Volfy

Quote:
There's a rebate offer on S&W Sigmas and M&P's. Check their site.
Last gun show here, one dealer had the M&P 40 for $410 - plus the rebate. I bought a M&P40C for $440, and will be sending in for the 2 free mags.

With deals like these, I don't see why I would want $350 police trade-ins.
Old March 9, 2010, 12:57 AM   #20
richiep

Ruger p95

I got mine for $300 NIB. It has never jammed and is accurate. I use mine on road trips for in the car/room and carry a ruger lcp the rest of the time.
Old March 9, 2010, 03:29 AM   #21
BillCA

One of the benefits of a stainless steel gun is that with some elbow grease and polish, you can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse.

I bought this S&W Model 67 for under $300 because someone had tried to use a 3M scotchbrite pad to polish out some minor scratches and really screwed up the finish. A couple of hours with polish and a soft cloth turned it into a beauty. The finish now looks almost like nickel.

Don't overlook those older used guns on the shelves of your local dealer either. A friend just came home with a pair of Detective Specials that were almost half price. The only "flaw" was that they'd been stuffed in a nightstand drawer for 30 years and exhibited light rust freckling. Some elbow work and Kroil removed it and now he has a pair of nice carry guns.

One of the more "overlooked" platforms is the S&W single-stack metal framed autos. The 39, 439, 3913, 3914, etc. This one was carried a lot by a lady police officer and traded in for a new XD. I picked it up for under $265 because of the wear. But it shoots and carries like a dream.

S&W Model 3914NL

A Security Six in either blue or stainless is hard to beat for a bargain. Rugged, reliable and about the same size as any K-Frame S&W. The Speed-Six had fixed sights and make excellent carry guns.

If size isn't an issue, I've seen some good deals on the excellent S&W 5906. This is an excellent 9mm high-cap pistol and solidly reliable. It's full-size "duty gun" but it's stainless steel construction tames the 9mm recoil too.
Old March 9, 2010, 09:34 AM   #22
bikerbill

One poster suggested a used Glock. I don't like Glocks, but I can highly recommend a used Springfield XD ... with the new m series on the market, the originals are available and I'm guessing they're selling for a reasonable price. I sold my XD-40 a while back to finance an XDm-9; it went for about $400 but it was absolutely spotless and only had about 500 rds through it ... A great gun, accurate, never failed ... you could do a lot worse.
Old March 9, 2010, 05:22 PM   #23
El Paso Joe

In my not so humble opinion...

Cheap is an illusion. You get what you pay for. Look for a good value for your money.
Reliable is important. Both you and your firearm. Practice enough that you both are reliable. No jams on an auto with your carry ammo. And you can reliably hit what you need to at 7 yards.
Good looks don't mean that the firearm is clean and properly lubed. Make sure it is clean and ready to go. There are no "time outs."

Just my opinion...
Old March 9, 2010, 08:43 PM   #24
allenomics

I would stay away from a police trade-in. Worn out and probably not dirt cheap.
Old March 9, 2010, 08:57 PM   #25
Rampant_Colt

what gun would Kramer or Newman use?

Without even thinking about it for a second, Springfield XD-45

Will there be a Seinfeld reunion?