The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 9, 2018, 08:37 AM   #26
riffraff

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramden View Post
I have one . Excellent . But the safety is backwards. Only pistol I have where up is the fire position. I also bought an MP22 at the same time. It too is an excellent .22 pistol. I like the MP a tad better as it's bigger in the hand and I'm not a huge fan of hammer fired pistols. But that's just me.
Was just reading back on this post.

I think the reason they did that is it's more of a de-cocker than a safety. Many exposed hammer pistols like this wouldn't have a safety, Ruger put one on there but it also de-cocks, and a de-cocker should activate in the down direction.
Old July 9, 2018, 01:44 PM   #27
anothernewb

Mine's not as accurate as some others own. but it's still within the black at 50 feet. and it's been very reliable for me. I have not experienced any ammo issues with several brands.
Old July 9, 2018, 10:57 PM   #28
doofus47

My SR22 has been spotless, once I found the ammo it liked: cci mini-mag 36 gr.
Great pistol.
Old July 10, 2018, 12:43 AM   #29
M88

Great for introducing newbies to shooting

One of the things I like about it, is how great it is for a newbie I'm taking to the range for the first time. It's usually a female who wants to learn how to "shoot a gun". It's small enough that it fits smaller hands well, but not to small like my LCP or Beretta Tomcat which often seems difficult for a newbie first timer. Plus not much kick, so it doesn't scare them away right off the bat. It's a "friendly" gun to introduce somebody to shooting. After they feel comfortable with the SR22 I bump up to a Browning 1911-380 with that increased 380ACP kick. With that they get the feel of 1911-ish gun but still not a huge gun. IF they stay interested after a few range sessions and want to keep going of course the caliber and power increases till they cry uncle at some point, usually long before the SP101 in 357, which hurts MY hand after only a few rounds.
Old July 10, 2018, 04:29 AM   #30
PatientWolf

My father has one and I’ve shot it. The trigger didn’t really make a positicve impression on me, but it was fine for an inexpensive gun. He was have some reliability issues with one magazine. I looked at it and if I remember correctly, I found the follower was installed backwards. I took the magazine apart and re-assembled it and he didn’t have any more problems with that mag.
Old July 12, 2018, 04:44 PM   #31
doubleh

I'll make another "mine eats anything" post. Whatever cheesy HV ammo I've fed it just works as well as the better stuff. The only thing it won't do is fire a round with no primer of course. Other than that it's never stove piped, jammed or had a failure of any kind.

It's an ideal pistol to start a kid or adult with small hands on. I started my oldest great grand daughter shooting it last year when she was nine. She is a medium sized girl and it worked great. She loves it and is a pretty good shot with it. I've also let her shoot a Walther PPQ/S 22 and a Phoenix. She was less than thrilled with those two and quickly went back to the SR22.
Old July 12, 2018, 08:26 PM   #32
amd6547

My rifle club has a steel bowling pin silhouette rack with six plates at 10yds. Great fun to go down the line with the SR22, rapid fire, knocking down each pin. Using minimags, it will knock them down with one shot to the middle. To make it more fun, I go for the small top section of the bowling pin. Hitting it there knocks the pin down hard, and I’ve gotten pretty fast hitting all six.
Great way to spend a few mags full.
The SR22 can be fired very rapidly into a very tight group at closer ranges.
Old July 14, 2018, 03:42 AM   #33
wmg1299

I bought an SR-22 several years ago to teach my young sons the basics of pistol shooting. It quickly became the favorite of both my boys and their three cousins. It has eaten everything we've fed it, and has happily withstood approximately 1000 rounds from inexperienced shooters. I can't really testify to the pistol's accuracy, given the unskilled shooters, but I can say that is a blast to shoot and is ideal for anyone who may be recoil sensitive. It is simple to field strip and clean, and doesn't seem nearly as dirty as I would expect after firing, especially considering how dirty most .22 ammo is known to be. I highly recommend the SR-22.
Old July 16, 2018, 10:12 PM   #34
Brian48

Mine was picky with anything hotter than standard velocity ammo. Other than that, it was a great and fun little range toy.
Old July 17, 2018, 07:29 PM   #35
Jdin8455

Just put 200 more rounds through mine today, CCI mini mag 40 grain RN. One failure to feed on the last round of a magazine.
Old July 17, 2018, 08:48 PM   #36
kymasabe

...thank you all.