The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old July 1, 2018, 12:05 AM   #1
Model12Win

ARs Are So Boring!

Guys I was at the range today and EVERY SINGLE PERSON on the rifle side was shooting an AR-15 of some sort or flavor.

They strike me as the most conformist, boring, uninteresting rifles ever, and I don't know why.

They are reliable, low recoil, fire an effective cartridge, are like legos for grown people, are inexpensive, and perhaps the most ergonomic and effective fighting rifle in world history. They rock.

But I just cannot force myself to buy one. I'm an idiot, I know. Then I get to thinking about AKs, then Mini-14s, and I know I'm just running from the AR's greatness.

Guys there is a reason why almost everyone has an AR. They are fantastic. But I don't know if I'll ever get one, as stupid as that sounds.

Anyone else feel the same way? Am I the only AR-loathing Luddite left on this board? Thinking out loud here gang, I'm already braced for a solid and powerful backlash.

-M12
Old July 1, 2018, 12:21 AM   #2
lordmorgul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model12Win View Post

Guys there is a reason why almost everyone has an AR. They are fantastic. But I don't know if I'll ever get one, as stupid as that sounds.

-M12

I was right there with you, loving the hell out of my Mini-14 Tactical... until California upper the ante and added new bans which accelerated my plan to buy one basic AR. When I’d finished buying just one, I had two much more expensive than basic rifles with many extras. I’m still enjoying them with my three ARs now.

I still love that Mini-14 and want to buy an M1A as well, doing NRA High Power matches with my AR (which I don’t mind and very exceptional rifle). Have made lots of Mini-14 modifications and customizing more. Legos indeed!

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / USCCA member
Old July 1, 2018, 12:43 AM   #3
turtlehead

Maybe you're boring.
Old July 1, 2018, 12:51 AM   #4
turtlehead

An AR was my first rifle and I built it from scratch. Researched every part. Bought the needed tools. When it was finished I thought "this is so simple there is no way it works". But it did. And it does. Every time. Tens of thousands of rounds without a single malfunction.

They're small, lightweight, handy and just plain mean. I wouldn't be without one.
Old July 1, 2018, 01:12 AM   #5
KY_blkout

If I had to get rid of every firearm I have except one the one I would keep is my first AR I built. All the obvious reasons as to why that you already stated but more so than that I view ARs as our token of freedom from the anti-gunners. Its everything they don't want us to have so to that I say let's build and have as many ARs as possible.
Old July 1, 2018, 04:03 AM   #6
Kirosha

I went AR late in the game. Not because of dislike but I grew up bolt action. Then when I got into semi auto I went old school milsurp. It was hard to justify to myself that I needed another rifle. Then I bought a Mini 14 and the wife enjoyed shooting it. I figured I could justify an AR to see how she liked it.

Nothing wrong witn avoiding something that comes across as boring. Plenty of other things people do the same with.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."
Old July 1, 2018, 05:14 AM   #7
BBarn

A few years back I assembled a couple of AR-15s from parts/subassemblies. I gave one to my son and the other sits in the safe and is rarely shot.

I built them to learn about the design. I found I don't care much for the design or ergonomics, nor does shooting them interest me much.

So perhaps I too find them a little boring. But most people that have them seem to like them, which is why they are so popular.
Old July 1, 2018, 05:40 AM   #8
jmr40

Buy one and find out for yourself. If you don't like it sell it.

Winston Churchill
Old July 1, 2018, 06:07 AM   #9
JJ45

Model12...I feel EXACTLY the same as you....I know a few people who went out and bought "AR" clones who have never owned a gun before!

Media influence and "cool factor" I think... it has become like a fashion statement to own one or maybe just curiosity, I don't know.

This, of course, does not take away from the effectiveness of the platform itself or AR shooters in general..
Old July 1, 2018, 06:27 AM   #10
Mobuck

I don't go for "cool" or even "tacti-cool" but the AR platform has some features not found anywhere else.
Sure, it's fad but the upside of this fad is it has put a lot of somewhat controversial firearms in the hands of a lot of people who might otherwise be totally uninformed about the rifles.
Old July 1, 2018, 06:54 AM   #11
Targa

I understand where you are coming from. I was about to sell mine to pick up a M1a until I told my wife of my plan, she looked at me like I lost my mind and then explained that she loves the AR and that it is not going anywhere. I guess my first mistake was thinking that it was mine to sell...
Old July 1, 2018, 07:32 AM   #12
smee78

Model 12, just relax I believe turtlehead was just pulling the ops chain. Many of us have worn the uniform and did not take his comments like you did. Look at his first post #3.

As for the AR I agree with a lot of what has been said, yes they can be like Legos, yes then can be boring, but man do they make a great semi auto rifle. Light weight, easy to shoot, great capacity, and come in a huge array of colors, parts and calibers. Have you thought about trying the AR platform in a different caliber? That may change your mind about owning one if it fills a spot in your collection? I do enjoy the AR platform and also enjoy wood and steel rifles (My M1a, Sar8, M1 Garand, M1 carbine, Fal) it just depends on what I want to shoot and my mood.
Plus seeing that you can pick us a rifle for under $500 and it is the poster child for the anti gun folks puts a smile on my face.
Old July 1, 2018, 07:50 AM   #13
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm not bored by my AR; I'm just not particularly interested in it. If I perceive the need for rapid fire against hostiles, it's my go-to gun. Otherwise I'm a bolt-action sort of hunter.
Old July 1, 2018, 07:52 AM   #14
Bartholomew Roberts

How’s the Internet gun forum joke go? If there was one gun that did everything perfectly, we’d all have it? The AR isn’t perfect; but its qualities explain its ubiquitous nature. I think the biggest thing is the modularity that allows owners to modify practically everything on it with no machining knowledge at all.
Old July 1, 2018, 07:52 AM   #15
Mobuck

I wasn't greatly impressed by the "Mattel" back when a rifle was a way to live. I did my work with an M-14 or 7.62x51 bolt rifle with an assemblage of non-standard short range weapons(Swedish "K" was a favorite) for when stuff went wrong.
Thirty years went by before I looked at the AR platform again on a whim. Now, I have AR15's in 6 calibers with barrels from 10.5" to 24"and AR 10's in 2 calibers. The AR 15's range from HD/hunting "pistols" to EDC carbines to "make the most of the package" target use only rifles. Most of the time (awake or sleeping)an AR of some sort is within arm's reach.
I truly enjoy the "LEGO" nature of the platform and have boxes of parts as proof.
Old July 1, 2018, 09:55 AM   #16
turtlehead

I guess my silly comment was deleted.

I hope everyone knows I was just having some fun with the topic. My apologies to Model12Win. We're all on the same team here.
Old July 1, 2018, 10:12 AM   #17
mr bolo

too many restrictions made me not interested, the bullet button was too much

they made so many restrictions on the AR style rifles in California, they are not worth owning

it's almost a crime to own one these days
Old July 1, 2018, 10:52 AM   #18
Areoflyer09

I go back and forth on it. It’s not my favorite platform, but it has it’s virtues.

It’s like a centerfire 10/22, not everyone will love it but you can build one just about any way you want.
Old July 1, 2018, 11:34 AM   #19
Mobuck

"they made so many restrictions on the AR style rifles in California, they are not worth owning"

Not the fault of the firearm itself.
Old July 1, 2018, 11:40 AM   #20
T. O'Heir

"...why almost everyone has an AR..." Usually has to do with the rules of the game they're playing. Some match rules are slanted towards a particular type of rifle.
Mind you, up here, AR's are treated just like handguns. Which means there's no hunting with 'em. Range use only and only at as range that's approved for 'em. Mini's are not treated like handguns, but you couldn't give me one. Way too much money for an inaccurate big kid's toy.
A proper FN is considered far too evil for the average Canadian to own. Too heavy to lug around anyway.
Old July 1, 2018, 12:09 PM   #21
briandg

The AR is the mohawk, mullet, man bun, colored streak, tattoo and piercing for the shooters of america.

Quote:
I'm not a conformist, I'm going to do exactly what I want to do, the same thing that millions of other people are doing, but I'm going to make my hair green instead of blue.
The person may put on a scope, laser, or dot, customize his stock, do as many weird things as possible. Sure, many rifles are unique, but the semiautomatic sporting rifle has become the default gun now. Some people don't even realize that they can have fun with anything else.

A few years ago, I saw grandpa and a boy, they had come out to shoot the .22lr AR that gramps had gotten him. Kid was maybe twelve. Kid may never learn to shoot correctly. Gramps would have crapped kittens if someone had suggested such a thing for his own son.
Old July 1, 2018, 12:29 PM   #22
bedlamite

Come to the dark side, we have cookies
Old July 1, 2018, 01:12 PM   #23
MTT TL

Quote:
They strike me as the most conformist, boring, uninteresting rifles ever, and I don't know why.
Probably because they are.

Which truck do you like best? Ford F350, GMC 3500, Dodge 3500 or a Mercedes Unimog?

They all do about the same job. Most of the time I like my guns boring and conformist. Conformist means widely available, likely works well. Boring means reliable. I don't want the excitement involved with fixing jams mid shooting. Most people agree. This is why Glocks are so popular. Glocks are about as exciting as a 16 oz hammer.
Old July 1, 2018, 01:13 PM   #24
Erno86

The AR system is a fantastic shooting platform, but due too reliability issues...it's still not an AK or AKM --- Though I've even managed to jam my AK's a couple of times (short stroking the charging handle, which results in a live round stuck in the trigger group).

--- George Orwell

Last edited by Erno86; July 1, 2018 at 01:25 PM.
Old July 1, 2018, 01:57 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

I was anti-AR for a long time.
"Poops where it eats" and the incredible popularity being the biggest factors. (I like uncommon things.)

...But then my former military unit had one of the DPMS special runs done, so I had to buy a lower receiver.
And, well, there ain't much point in having the lower receiver if you can't shoot it.
So, I built an AR pistol (different enough for me to not feel like a bandwagon idiot).

Yea... Um... That was the end of my AR hatred. I still don't think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I just keep building more... (Though at a significantly slower pace than stagpanther.)

They're affordable semi-autos, with the "Adult Lego" factor making them nearly infinitely configurable; and the small number of tools needed to assemble one just make things that much easier.

I decide what I want, collect the parts, and build an upper, or lower, or both, to fit my needs better than nearly any factory rifle could. ...But there's no metal work, no stock shaping, no wood finishing, no gunsmithing. It's just plug-and-play, with minor fitting on occasion.

If it turns out that my choices didn't provide the desired result, I can tear the thing back apart, throw some new parts at it, and try again ... while retaining the spare parts for a build where they will make more sense.